SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_17428269

Brian Mulroney 18th Canadian Prime Minister Sings

User
last month
last modified: last month

Today was the state funeral for Brian Mulroney. His granddaughter sang at the end of the service. It was quite nice.https://www.ctvnews.ca/video/c2890919-granddaughter-sings--when-irish-eyes-are-smiling-

Comments (14)

• User
    Original Author
    last month

The voice at the end of the OP clip is Brian Mulroney’s. He loved to sing.

Here’s a brief report of the funeral.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mulroney-state-funeral-moments-1.7153501

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

Sorry to hear of his death. I didn't see mention of it in the news this week.

I looked him up and was interested to see he was yet another of the many Quebecois prime ministers from recent decades. Was he a Francophone too?

(My favorite to see on TV from strictly a media standpoint was the one who seemed to speak out of the corner of his mouth and had a more pronounced accent in English than others)

User thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • User
    Original Author
    last month

elm, he died a month ago.

It probably wasn’t mentioned on the news sources you get in your area or country. Or you weren’t interested. Either way, you can Google him if you want. Or not.

How’d you like the singing?

eta Jean Chretien had Bell’s palsy if that’s the one you mean.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

I don't read "area" newspapers any more. One was good once (SJ Mercury News) but it's a shadow of its former self. I selectively skim three national papers (well, two plus LA Times) most days. I'm sure there was mention of the death but it must not have been prominent.

I didn't listen to the singing.

Was he a Francophone?

Edit

I looked. The article on his death was in the NY Times in Sec B, page 11, on 3/2. This was probably the obit page.

• User
    Original Author
    last month

Google is your friend, elm.

My post is about the singing.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

I'll remember not to trouble you with simple questions. Or any. Too much bother, eh?

My interest is as important to me as was the prominence of the mention of his death in an important US paper - little or not at all.

• User
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Yes, please remember. Please keep your promise this time.

eta, just a helpful hint, elm. Read the headings in the posts, decide if it is a topic of interest to you, if not, just scroll on by. Easy peasy. 🙂

eta Too much bother, eh? Yes, I’m afraid you are.

• User
    Original Author
    last month

This was a recording of Mulroney singing as his coffin was wheeled out of the basilica.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

I’ll remember no need to try to be friendly to you. Too bad.

• jmm1837
    last month

I remember going to the Canada Day celebrations on Parliament Hill in Ottawa in 1992. 125th year of Confederation, and all that. Mulroney was roundly (but politely) booed by the crowd; the Queen was cheered, especially after she paid tribute to Canadian troops in Bosnia. Canadians aren't particularly pro monarchy, but she represented something above the grunge of politics. The crowd knew.

And ultimately, Mulroney destroyed the old, middle of the road, Progressive Conservative Party of which he was leader, and left us with a much more right-wing Conservative Party to emerge from the ruins. He did us no favours as a nation. Interesting individual, very driven, very ambitious, but flawed as well.

As for the prevalence of Quebecois Prime Ministers, most PMs come from either Ontario or Quebec, because those are the two biggest provinces with the largest party bases. Mulroney was in fact an Anglophone but, like many successful businessmen from Quebec, fluent in French. You really can't lead a major political party in Canada these days without having both languages.

User thanked jmm1837
  • User
    Original Author
    last month

floral, life in Canada is good. My mother said she hated it here when she first arrived in 1953 but grew to love it. My father said he loved it from day one. He was in the RAF in Winnipeg/Gimli. When he emigrated from the UK he moved to Calgary to work in the petroleum industry. He invested heavily in real estate just as Alberta was booming and made a very good life for my family.

I enjoy seeing the Mounties in their red serge.

jmm, but Mulroney sure could sing!

• vee_new
    last month

roxsol, I lived in Ottawa way back in the late 60's - early 70's and enjoyed my time there although there was some tension between the Quebecois and the English speaking provinces then. Older people would still ask me about 'the old country' and ex service men, when they found out where I was from in the UK, wanted to know if such-and-such a pub was still there! I tried to make the most of my time by travelling both East (as far as Gaspe), to friends in and around Calgary, a city growing as you looked at it and to the West Coast. If I had to leave this country (and I was much younger) it is to Canada I would head.

User thanked vee_new
  • User
    Original Author
    last month

Gosh, vee-new, if I had to leave Canada, I’m not sure where I would want to go. The world is filled with lovely people and lovely places. I’m glad that I don’t have to choose.