SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

The first roses (pics)

By now most of my Teas have at least a few blooms open, so I thought I'd seize the moment and take a few pictures, giving thanks, for once, for dull gray weather, as it makes photography easier. The contrast between the chill modesty of temperate zone plant growth and flowers on the one hand, and the rollicking Teas on the other, is quite striking (our soil doesn't allow acidophiles like azaleas and camelias). This year they're starting extensive flowering at least a month earlier than they used to before climate change. Clearly they like the abundant rainfall this month, and the subsequent mild temperatures and growing sunlight.

'Odorata' in the front yard. I've never thought of this as a hefty rose, but after a couple of decades this one is up to about 6'x8'. Nice scent.

'Général Schablikine', growing in hostile conditions and, apparently, loving it. You can call it a "pink Tea", and not come close to conveying how beautiful it is, and what a sturdy variety. This plant is also about twenty years old, if I remember correctly, and I think own root, as is 'Odorata'. It's roughly 6'x8' or more.

A hopeless attempt at capturing most of this specimen of 'Général Schablikine'; actually, the photo came out better than I expected. I'm beginning to understand why so many photos are of individual roses rather than of plants: they're much easier.

'Safrano', growing next to GS. What a beautiful rose this is. The plant has been rather puny lately, suffering from the prolonged drought in its unfavorable position; but it seems to have picked up with the rain.

Time to post.

Comments (14)