SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Hack job: Is this thing worth saving or should I throw in the towel

mxk3 z5b_MI
last month

I have to preface this by saying I'm the one who did the hack job...

This (formerly beautiful) "Limelight" tree hydrangea has been in place about 8 years. It took major damage two summers ago during massive storms that blew through, a big main branch on one side had to come off, then last summer even more damage later in the summer due to high winds. I went out there yesterday for the annual pruning/shaping and decided to try to get it as symmetrical as I could, and this is the end result:

I'm wondering if the poor thing will fill in to any meaningful degree this year, or whether I should just scrap it and get a new hydrangea tree. See that picture window? She is in full view when I'm in the kitchen, when I walk through that area of the house, and when we sit at the kitchen table -- the spot she is in is prime viewing real estate, she was planted in that exact spot for a reason. If it's going to take a couple years to get back where she should be then she's gotta go.

Based on your experience with tree hydrangeas, what do you think -- will she bounce back this year with a lot of full growth? Or not?

Comments (18)