SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_910663146

Bathroom exhaust fan problem

HU-910663146
last month
last modified: last month

Five years ago or so, I installed a moisture sensing exhaust fan in my shower (curb-less shower with glass front). It is a small 5’ x 9’ bathroom. I have attached a really horrible schematic to give you an idea of layout. (The real door is hinged on the other side—so icon is not representative.) The shower exhaust fan has a light in it. There is also a separate light over the sink.

The moisture sensor died, and needing to keep the same size opening because my ceiling is tiled, I replaced it with a Broan Motion Sensor ZB80ML1 exhaust fan. Husband did NOT want another moisture sensor. I have adult son that will not turn an exhaust fan on, so I HAD to have a motion sensor or constantly on fan or have mold in my shower. Rock and a hard place.

Electrician came and installed, but he suggested that I ditch the motion sensing feature in the shower and instead install the motion sensing in the light switch. He suggested that because he did not feel that the exhaust fan was operating as well as he would have liked and that he could control the features better if the motion sensing ran off the light switch. For example, the shower exhaust fan was supposed to drop to a lower CFM setting after a certain time if no one was in the shower, but we could not hear any drop in noise, so we assumed that it remained at the higher CFM. This exhaust fan was supposed to be quiet based on sones. So quiet that “you might not notice it’s on”. So much for marketing fluff with that. You hear it.

He installed a SensorSwitch in my light switch (so have one switch for light over sink and the "SensorSwitch" in the other half of the light switch outlet plate.)

Anyway, I figured the expert knew better and took his advice. Yeah, I know that isn’t always a good idea. I also had an appointment and had to leave before he entirely finished, so turned the final checkout to my other adult son (who is very precise and good). Between running to get additional supplies, the electrician had already been at my house for over 3.5 hours, so I was not being as ridiculous as you might initially think. I didn’t think replacing a bathroom exhaust fan would take that long.

Come back, and yes as you suspected, things were not as I would like. The fan and light come on before you are even in the bathroom—like when I am getting things out of my nearby utility closet or my son is going into his bedroom. That is problem.

With the motion-sensing turned off in the shower, the fan and light in the shower now go off after a certain time because the motion sensor in the light switch does not detect movement in the shower because of the glass doors in the way.

So, how should I rig this? I have electrician coming back. Do both these things? 1. Turn down sensitivity of motion detection on the light unit, so person has to be in bathroom to turn it on. 2. Turn back on motion detecting in the shower, so fan/lights stay on while showering.

I imagine that I can’t return the light switch sensor. Nice to have fan on if someone is using the toilet, but annoying if just brushing teeth since it is a lot louder than marketing materials claim.

How should I handle this? What have you done? It’s only an exhaust fan for goodness sake, but wow did this get complicated.

Comments (24)