SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schutz2106

Bathroom exhaust fan installation in the north

schutz2106
16 years ago

I have a current exhaust fan that I found out is pretty much vented in the attic. There is a 4" pvc pipe stuck up against the roof at the outside of the attic wall that some of the moisture might go into the soffit. Probably not much. I am going to replace the fan and do something with the venting of the fan. I live in northern Iowa. I dont really think the snow on the roof has ever gotten over 10 inches deep at one time. My shingles are only a couple years old and I really hate to cut a big hole in the roof and vent. And I am concerned about the amount of snow that may accumulate up there. I would like to go out through the underneath of the soffit. Which would probably be tricky since my trusses are 2x4 and i would have to run a rectangular pipe at the wall to get out to the soffit. I have read quite abit that if I go out through the underneath of the soffit most of the vapor will just go right back up in the attic. My house is 56 ft long with continuous soffit with probably 45 foot of ridge vent. I had thought about blocking off the soffit appr. 4 ft on each side of the vent to hopefully stop a backdraft. I see no moisture problems up in the attic at this time. I havent taken off the the soffit in the area where the fan is vented yet to look under there. Its just been to darn cold still. But sticking my head up through my access hole there is plenty of breeze blowing around up there. So I realize that its hard to tell without actually seeing what I have but does anyone have any hints, sugestions, or just that its not a good idea what I have planned. There is 18 inches of blown in insulation up in the attic so I dont really want to have to be there any more than I have to.

Thanks!

Comments (2)