SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_883491693

Hello from a rosaholic in Spain

Hi everyone, I have been a lurker on this lovely forum for some time and have finally got around to joining, so thought I should introduce myself. I am from England originally, but have lived in Spain since 2005, first in the far south of the country and now in the far northeast corner, not far from France.

I seriously fell down the rose rabbit hole about 7 years ago, having finally obtained a good-sized plot of my own. Rose growing is not easy on hard-baked extremely alkaline clay full of boulders. Then I have to cope with fried roses in scorching summers and losing a few roses to cold mountain winters. If Japanese beetles or nematodes are the nemeses of some of you folks, mine are three different types of rose sawfly that decimate my rose foliage. Despite all, roses have become my passion/obsession and I now grow a total of around 65 roses, a good smattering of antique but mostly modern shrubs.

When I first moved to my current property, we had lots of monsoon-like summer rain and high humidity coming over from the Pyrenean mountain range just to the north, so black spot was a nightmare. The last few years it’s been mostly dry, so far less disease but water is an increasing worry.

Marlorena from England is a dear rose friend from a previous forum, so I will be joining in on her posts, but hope to pitch in on some others too.

I need to figure out the photo posting procedure, but hopefully here’s one for starters, Palais Biron (aka Purple Lodge) a shrub rose bred by Pierre Orard and familiar to some of you:

Hope to meet you all soon!

Nollie

Comments (47)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County