SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vrieck

How to create a cohesive look - Dealing with whites & off-whites

vrieck
last month
last modified: last month

Hello,

I'd like help deciding whether to paint my trim and ceilings a white (e.g., pure white by Sherwin Williams) or paint them Greek Villa by Sherwin Williams like my walls please!

Here is the situation:

-Dealing with a small studio condo--about 500 square feet total with low light. Will be adding artificial light but because there aren't many windows and the largest ones are shaded by a balcony, I am battling a bunker effect.

-Condo is long and narrow with 8' cement ceilings. Initially, I had liked the idea of painting the ceiling and trim Greek Villa to make things more seamless, de-emphasize the ceiling, and perhaps create more of a feeling of calmness.

-My selected cabinet color is Ikea's Vallstena. They have a yellow undertone that blends really well with Greek Villa paint although it is lighter. (Please see photo, which shows the cabinet with a wall painted Greek Villa and a baseboard painted Pure White.)

-I've attached a photo of where I'm headed and the materials i am interested in using, so you can have a sense of my vision.

Additional Questions:

1. I'd like to have the flexibility to use some more true whites in my decorations (e.g. ikea cube shelving, blinds, etc.), and so I had wondered: Would those whites seem out of place if I didn't incorporate a pure white into my trim/ceiling? Especially given that my cabinets are whiter than the walls, but not really a pure white?

2. Will incorporating pure whites, either on trim and ceilings or just in furniture and decorations look weird if my cabinets aren't a pure white?

3. Would it be weird to paint trim white but not the ceiling?

This photo shows Greek Villa Walls, Pure White Trim, and Vallstena Cabinet.

Thank you!

Paint trim and ceilings Pure White
Paint trim and ceilings Greek Villa
Paint trim Pure White, but make ceilings Greek Villa

Comments (6)