SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charles_battaglia

how do you tie in multiple colors in a living room.

Laura Battaglia
2 months ago

My rug has an ivory background with subtle colors of gray and salmon/rust. I have a light saddle leather chair, a wicker chair with celery green and rust in it and gold drapes. I want to buy a new sectional.

Comments (57)

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I’m also going to paint the room to get rid of all the gold. This is my view and I do have some Tommy Bahama furniture.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The actual area where the sofa is now is only 12 feet wide. Placing the rug in the opposite direction looks silly, besides the middle of the room is where you walk through the room to the balcony. I often get company & need more seating.. this is why I thought of a sectional & the wicker chair on the other side of the room. It’s easy to move over for additional seating. I’ve tried different layouts in the past. One was placing the sofa on a diagonal facing the balcony. It wasn’t my favorite.

• Related Discussions

How many colors should you have in a family/living room furniture?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you, all for your input. @thinkdesignlive, I was planning on placing the cerulean pillows on the sectional and the neutral gold/silver pillows on the chairs. @Patricia Colwell, I was hoping to integrate the gray ottoman with the gray in the rug...thoughts? @User, I'm uploading a more updated moodboard, which I hope helps. Thanks again for all of your feedback!
    ...See More

How do I tie in an eyesore with kitchen cabinet paint color?

Q

Comments (21)
    BM Swiss Coffee for GR/whole house walls. Wondering if the SW Chopsticks would be the warm contrast you were referring to, Lori A. Sawaya, and would tie in with light brown stained floor and stone fireplace. Adding Chopsticks to the mix gets too complicated for me. Too many colors, a lot of other stuff going on in the space. That's why I said a simple, basic white. You could do Swiss Coffee on the cabinets because of the different product and finish used on the cabinets, it's not going to look the same as the walls but it's still the same color. Swiss Coffee or Chopsticks - they're both a bolder color commitment than white.
    ...See More

help for living room with one wall/multiple entrances

Q

Comments (5)
    What is the door to the left of the fireplace and why is there a gap between the fireplace and the door? if this were my house, my heart’s desire would be to mount the TV over the sliding door to the deck. (Still with me?.) I would hide the screen behind something like barn doors or art. Then I would have an L shaped sofa, with a good console table behind the section of the sofa you would first see coming in the door. I would have swivel bar stools with backs at the peninsula. I might even put lounging chairs on the 2d floor bal to watch the tv. If there’s room and the bannister isn’t too high.
    ...See More

updating my hardwood floors... URG, how do I tie it in?

Q

Comments (1)
    My idea is that you don't change your floors at all. Maybe consider extending the floors you have into the living area. I would probably think about improving the super-traditional look of the staircase (even though I like it fine). But yes, if you replace just the floors you have, it's not going to match the trim/doors. I suppose you could paint the trim/doors white.... but for me, it wouldn't be worth the money. You have nice-looking floors now.
    ...See More
  • Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Jck910,
    What size rug do you think I should have and how would you place it, as the room where the furniture is is only 12 feet wide. There is a wall separating the dining room to the living room. The rug I have is an 8’ x 10’.

• jck910
    2 months ago

Seeing more of the room and the layout changes the need for a larger rug.

• Olychick
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I absolutely love my sectional, which has a curved corner piece sinilar to what you show. My guests also love it. I think since you don’t show a perpendicular chaise piece, it will fit nicely in your space. I agree with Arcy that you may need to custom order from the manufacturer’s fabrics. Your colors are warm and fairly neutral, so I might be looking at warm tweeds or weaves that incorporate some of the existing colors. Beautiful views!

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks, I love it here, but my furniture and layout is 20 years old. Looking for something new, also to brighten up the room. The floor and furniture is dark.

• Mrs. S
    2 months ago

Celery green, rust, gold, pale yellow walls. I don't see a thing wrong with your color scheme. On a big expenditure like a sectional, I'd choose an overall color that is a pale warm neutral. How light you can go might depend on your lifestyle and how you use the room.

If you go fairly light with the sofa, maybe switch out the rug to provide some contrast.

For paint, maybe choose a warm white. It's a nice room, with a lovely view!

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you. I had a darker green rug, but it was too dark against the dark wood floors. I was thinking going a little darker with the sectional but not too dark, FYI, the area rug looked darker in the store. I’m contemplating getting rid of the wicker chair. It’s an Ethan Allen & after 20 years it looks brand new.

• HU-570180435
    2 months ago

I love your view & your room is nice

• la_la Girl
    2 months ago

I think finding one piece that brings the room together will help you marry the colors you are lookjng for - I agree a warm neutral sectional or sofa would be great, then what a patterned ottoman with the colors you like? Annie Selke has these (we have 2 in different living areas and they’ve been terrific) there are tons of different colors and patterns - PS what a lovely view!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Draw and measure you space please? The walls, window, show the balcony etc? Feet and inches and use your drawing and ADD the feet and inches.

Now.......

What is the feel you want in this coastal setting? Lighter , airier etc? Feels none of those things, yet : )

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I would like to lighten it up, instead of coastal, I like old world key west. Darker wood, but light airy furniture with some plants and interesting pillows and fabrics. I’m planning to paint the walls white & change the drapes. I also want to recover the wicker chair, buy a sofa or the sectional layout I did. I’m looking for a light beige or off white sofa & get rid of one of my recliners and add a swivel chair.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Sorry, 2nd chair. I need one because my husband wants a recliner.

• elcieg
    2 months ago

Something is off...please show more photos of room. Rug look stoo small for all the furniture.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

Your art is a great beginning to a beautiful color palette.

• deegw
    2 months ago

Laura - you said you like old Key West style, is that like British colonial? That's light walls, plants, sisal rugs, large botanical prints, wicker, rattan, light upholstered furniture with formal legs.

Can you post an inspiration photo?

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

Here’s a couple of inspiring images.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The 1st photo is my dining room, the next 2 are photos that inspired me, but I want to make it a little more casual, that’s why I’m thinking a sectional.The 4th is a close up of my rug, which I want to keep. My husband hates the feel of sisal so that was out. This rug is very subtle. Right now, I have 2 oversized leather recliner chairs. 1 was supposed to be in my bedroom. I would like to incorporate 1 of the in my design, not sure which one yet. One is dark brown, the other is a orange saddle caramel color, not sure what color it is.After I have the walls painted white or ivory I’ll know more. So, want to lose the gold. (Paint, drapes etc.), green, salmon or coral, off white, taupe, maybe?

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My chairs. Will keep 1 of them that I’ll decide when I bring others together.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I see you noticed my picture, I like Diego Rivera and other Mexican art. This photo is in my dining room. The light torquise color would be a good color to add also

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

Blue and tan leather go very well together. I show a blue sofa and a warm white for the walls which would brighten the entire room up. I would opt for continuity between living room and dining room with your open concept. Here is one of many options where I show a natural fibre area rug but yours would probably also work from your description. You can also probably DIY the upholstery of your dining room chairs.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I was also thinking a soft Aqua with the tan. Thanks, these look beautiful. First, we’re going to paint. My tentative choice is BM Chantilly Lace. I kept deciding whether to keep the wicker chair, it’s 20 years old, but it’s an Ethan Allen and I love it. I just need to recover the pillows on it. Thanks so much for your help, it’s a pleasure to get help from someone who knows color & doesn’t mind making suggestions. If I ever get this finished I’ll post it. It might not be until next winter because I leave for the summer.

• latifolia
    2 months ago

We have BM Chantilly Lace in our master bath; it's a very bright white. You might want to sample different whites before deciding.

You mention your room is 12' wide and that you're hoping to brighten it up. Have you considered eliminating the big entertainment center in favor of a wall-hung TV? Removing that dark, heavy piece would give you more space and lighten the room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

It is more than time, ( perhaps ) to let the top portion of the tv unit GO. : )

Have a stone counter top made for the lower piece, and consider painting it.

The entire unit is drowning and overwhelming your room. Dating it, as well. Mount the tv on the wall. No need for the upper at all.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The walls have metal studs, so very difficult to install a 65” tv. I told my husband I would like to remove the top piece, but he doesn’t want to. Besides it won’t fit in our elevators. We had it hoisted over the balcony years ago. Maybe if I declutter & get rid of the small bar behind the wicker chair. A few years ago, I arranged the LR this way. I had a lighter floor.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Explanation. It’s a great room with a small 5.5’ wall separating the dining room to the living room. It is actually 22’ wide x 24’ long. The LR by that small wall is 12’ wide & the furniture jets out in the 22’ length is only 1/2 the length of the room, the entertainment piece is actually 22’ away from when the sofa sits.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Set the tv on top of the unit below ( you can buy a stand ), have a contractor cut it up the top portion. Down the elevator it goes.

No....I am not kidding and you won't miss it, along with the fact nobody else will want it for anything but a bonfire: )

Not everything is DIY -including getting the flat screen directly on a wall. The brackets give you room to adjust for studs,.

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

If you can consider Jan Moyer's suggestion about the TV unit it's excellent and would really update the room.

As for the wall paint colour, I strongly recommend you choose all the fabrics before painting the walls and also do a test on a large foam board (with 2 coats of paint) that you can carry around the room to see how the colour looks in different areas. And yes, as mentioned by Latifolia, Chantilly Lace is a very bright white, I recommend you look into warm whites such as the following:

A few ideas mixing grey, navy, white & aqua...

• deegw
    2 months ago

There was someone recently who wanted to redo their whole living room. She was advised to take the top off the entertainment center. That was all the room needed. The room was transformed. I will look for the thread but don't have a lot of hope, the search function here is not good.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Just a question……why would a Tommy Bahama entertainment piece be dated? I see them still in the stores in Florida and design magazines.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

But as you say, removing the top would be better, but my husband is “presently” adamant. I have to work on him. We just agreed that we would come back to Florida in the fall, look for furniture then, and paint. We are going back to NY for the holiday, & then we’ll only be here for a few weeks after that. Writing to everyone here has given me some great ideas. I really appreciate it so much. I have a great at corner condo with a beautiful view all around, so I want to style it right, but without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

• latifolia
    2 months ago

There are a lot of seniors in Florida. It's probably the only place you could still find a Tommy Bahama entertainment center. The rest of the world has moved on. You can keep the bottom half and take a Sawzall to the top.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Jan Moyer. I was told they can’t attach it to metal studs. BTW, I have a stand for the TV. One person in my building had a contractor open up the wall, add some wood studs, close up the wall and then attached it with the wood studs.This entertainment center, 😱 costs so much money. I hate to chop up the top. 😢😢😢 but if I must.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Latifolia….. Haha, I’m 73 years old, but I assure you, I’m a young 73.😂😂

• deegw
    2 months ago

You're going to have to move it to paint. I would take that time to evaluate if you like the room better with the top on or off. In your photos, it overpowers that part of the room and honestly makes that part of the room like an altar to the TV. It would be fine if your goal was a man cave, media room, or formal office but based on your inspiration photos that is not your goal.

• JT7abcz
    2 months ago

Love your inspiration pics, your artwork would tie in perfectly with those color schemes and I also like most of your proposed layout. If a sisal rug is a deal breaker for your husband, there are soft wool rugs that look like sisal. Or, you could try a larger, flat weave rug and layer your current rug on top.

Notice both of your inspiration photos have a sofa table behind the seating where colorful decor, plants or flowers can be placed. Sofa tables also provide a spot for lamps which will allow for more seating to be layered in front. You don't have to get one long table, I've used two next to each other.

If you're reluctant to break up the entertainment center, you can paint it white which will help it blend in better with white walls. Yes, re-cover the Ethan Allen chair! Also, if you intend to keep either of the other chairs and they aren't swivel, see if you can bolt a swivel ring to the bottom.

• latifolia
    2 months ago

@Laura Battaglia

I will be 70 this year and also have a husband in need of "education"! I might need to fly down over the summer for a friend's birthday, after which the top would no longer be there.

• nester44
    2 months ago

It's unlikely that the top of the entertainment center is one solid piece. More likely, it consists of pieces that are fastened (screwed?) together. A close examination would indicate whether the unit can simply be dismantled into its component parts by unscrewing it. I agree that such a massive piece of furniture is overwhelming. And if you can't hang the TV from the wall studs, then it could sit very nicely atop the lower part of the entertainment center, or on another more lightweight modern credenza or table. Also, I think a sectional will overwhelm your space and won't help you create a more airy look. Perhaps rethink that, and go with a sofa and chairs instead. Maybe also smaller, more airy tables -- glass tops, maybe?

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks to everyone that wrote. FYI, the entertainment center IS in 2 pieces, I remember when they put it together. I mentioned again I would like to take the top off and my husband’s remark was, “you’re out of your mind”, LOL, BUT I WILL GET MY WAY EVENTUALLY. I don’t mind the lower part and might change the pulls. Yes, I’m also thinking a sofa, but my elevators, which aren’t high will only fit an 84” or less sofa. The sectional, with separate pieces gives me more seating space and can fit in the elevator. Definitely looking to replace the coffee table. Also, I have a sofa table in the other room that I used to have behind the sofa. Could try it again. Great ideas from everyone here. I appreciate all your ideas.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

You dont need another Tommy Bahama anything!

Why?

its fine in small doses. Too much?

it becomes the ” I just moved here from the north. Here is my card! Fill my house!”

it looks heavy. It looks like the tourist version of what the furniture store can unload !

Its in every storefront in a strip center on the Tamiami Trail!

Thats why:)

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Well, they looked nice 18 - 20 years ago. I did make some mistakes. 5 years ago I put down darker wood floors and now the furniture looks really dark and overpowering, but I don’t want to spend money on complete new furniture. I’m willing to lighten things up by changing out and updating (and also decluttering)
    many things, that’s why I wrote on Houzz. I’m trying to figure out how I can incorporate some things I already have with some new things to make it work better.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Read the whole post again. Everyone is telling you te same thing regarding updates.

"You're a young 73?" THEN DON'T DESIGN LIKE 83!!! or 88! Right? Yes, right!

I have a client with the exact same unit, right now! ...........it is going directly ( top ) to the bonfire.

Get a contractor for the tv issue. A tv today weighs less than a lot of framed pictures. Molly Is the word....and you still have the important part of the unit.

You got your 18 years worth. It owes you not a dime.

• nester44
    2 months ago

I would be inclined to use toggle bolts and a TV bracket rather than Molly bolts if you decide to mount the TV to the wall -- but I suspect toggle bolts might not even be good enough if sheetrock is the only thing holding the whole thing up. Either put in some wood studs like your friend did, or sit it on the entertainment center base.

• shirlpp
    2 months ago

You get the idea.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

Perhaps bringing up the Theory of Abundance with your husband will hasten the change of removing the top piece. When you let go of that piece, a talented crafter will create something they love with it. It’s a win for everybody.

• latifolia
    2 months ago

White walls, dark floors, your rug and a combination of your current and new furniture can provide a really nice, updated look. Just don't rush into buying anything.

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I agree. When I rush, and especially when my husband comes with me I tend to let him have an opinion. Ugh! But thanks for your thoughts on this. I’ll get it right, i believe I’ll get it right without breaking the bank either.

• Sandyfeet
    2 months ago

@LauraBattaglia I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I love that Tommy Bahama tv cabinet! And I’m not 83 or 88 like some say it looks like! I also love all of your inspiration photos and I have confidence that you will be able to pull this off! Be sure to check back when you’re done!

• Laura Battaglia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you. I’m going to keep it until I get my other furniture, accessories, and the walls painted, then I’ll decide. I appreciate your opinion.

• simplynatural
    2 months ago

A few other floor plan options that seat six or seven:

This one with a bigger rug:

And if the short wall separating dining and living areas can be removed, the extra inches would give you more flexibility and openness:

This one would also be better with a 9x12 instead of an 8x10.