SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stokes21

To Shutter or not to shutter?

D M
2 months ago

I want to preface this by saying that I know the “rules” around shutters and that aesthetically, most houses should not have them. I own a 1970’s colonial style house. We are gearing up to paint the siding (aluminum) and replace all the windows upstairs (for now) and I am very torn on whether to remove the shutters.

The biggest issue is that previous owners put an addition on the back of the house. One of these windows I physically cannot shutter on the one side because of this. To not shutter the whole house due to this window seems ridiculous, but so does not shuttering one side of the window haha! It definitely looked dumb. I could fit a thick trim around it though.

I know that removing shutters really modernizes the house but I do like the traditional look of the shutters. I guess I just have a hard time letting go?

First pic is my house. The second pic is the house I am using for the inspiration for mine. NOTE: I AM NOT LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON ANYTHING ELSE! Just the shutters.

Comments (24)

• D M
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Edits - I said “remove” but I would just replace the shutters completely. The roof looks grey from afar but it’s brown. If it was grey I would be going with a different colour. Siding will be green, windows will be black.

• beeboo22
    2 months ago

I’m not fully understanding your question but here’s my opinion. I usually like shutters on houses of this era, so I get why you want to keep them. Could you show a picture of the addition? I don’t see why windows on the back of the house need to match the front if it doesn’t make sense to.

• Caroline O
    2 months ago

I’m not a pro and I don’t have a dog in the “shutter”/“don’t shutter” fight, but I suggest no shutters. Your inspiration photo is a good model, but the height of your windows is not nearly as high, so the shutters look cramped and mingy. At this point, I suggest going with a nice wood trim but agree with la la girl that you should wait until the new windows are in before making a final decision.

• Sammie J
    2 months ago

The difference between your inspiration pic and your home is the size of the windows - see how the windows in the inspiration come almost to the roofline below? Would you consider enlarging your windows? I think that would add a sense of balance to the upper and lowers parts of your house - making the shutters look more in balance with the entire house.

• J F
    2 months ago

Sounds like you like shutters. It's your home.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 months ago

I’m generally a shutter person, even if the house or shutters aren’t perfect. I take in the total charm. And if you like shutters, go for it. Cute home!

• Sigrid
    2 months ago

I like your shutters. I think shutters on the facade and not on the back and sides are fine, particularly since I doubt people will see both the front and side at the same time.

You will need to take them off to paint the siding, right? You can take them off early, see what you think and then decide. As a side point, your upper windows are not placed evenly. At present, it's not that noticeable, but if you remove the shutters it might be more so.

• ptreckel
    2 months ago

I am assuming you will be replacing the upstairs windows on the front with the same style window. Correct me if I am wrong. Given that your home doesn’t have “traditional” windows with muntins, I would leave off the shutters. (Yes, when your home was built, shutters were a common feature. And in many cases, I say…that is “authentic” to the home. I wouldn’t replace them on yours, given the more transitional looking windows. BUT…I strongly recommend that you bulk up the trim around your windows, thicken it considerably, to give you windows the “heft” they need on the face of your home. Thicker window frames will add style to your home in the absence of exterior shutters.

• Kendrah
    2 months ago

Are you getting three new windows installed that will be larger than your current windows? This is what the after image shows. If you can replicate the after image, then yes, I think shutters are nice.

• chloebud
    2 months ago

I agree with waiting until the new windows are in. Normally I’d say no to shutters on double windows. However, I think yours could work if the shutters are sized right (which they aren’t now). Each shutter should look like it would cover half the window if closed.

Also agree with not worrying about the back of the house.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Your windows are wider than they are tall, and the shutters make that look even wider. The inspo windows are taller than they are wide, and the shutters balance. If you beef up the trim, especially above and below the new windows, they will look better.

• Ruth
    2 months ago

No shutters

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

no shutters and what if you did board and batten siding on that top part? it would give you a bit of interest w/o having to use shutters.

board and batten similar look to this gray siding up top.

or maybe a thicker siding? I think using either of these would render the shutters useless

• coray
    2 months ago

That looks great, Beth!! We’re getting ready to reside, reroof etc our house….I might need your expertise too!

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Beth showed you a house very, very similar to yours. If you can see all the changes involved, would you want to do this? The exterior of Beth’s house is really updated - thicker black trimmed windows, new wood posts, new front door, bigger windows downstairs, etc. It shows how much a house can be changed.

No doubt you could get this look. But that means holding off on the green siding.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

It’s not unusual to have shutters on only one or a couple sides of a house. My house has no shutters on the back since there are four windows of three different sizes, plus a door plus a slider. Many houses, especially brick or stone front colonials only have shutters on the front.

• D M
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I don’t want to wait until the windows are in because I only have one weekend with help to install. If we go with a thick trim then the siding will need to be cut into. When I paint the shutters need to be taken off anyways so that will give me a good visual. I surprisingly never noticed that the windows upstairs aren’t equally spaced! And there’s no reason for it, either. Both windows inside could have been moved to accommodate.

I’m not interested in extending the windows down aka don’t want to spend the money. If leaving the windows as is means I remove the shutters because it doesn’t balance, then that’s okay with me! :) Also to add, no I am not putting a 3rd window in. The I striating pic was just a general idea (green siding which I discovered isn’t actually green haha!) and black windows. As well as potential updates to the front of the home — posts and landscaping. We also badly need to fix our front porch/step.

Beth H - Not even remotely interested in replacing the siding as there is nothing wrong with it. Let alone a whole front facade upgrade. We are a one income household with 3 (almost 4) little kids and the interior needs an entire upgrade as well. A paint job and new windows will already make a world of difference. Though I do appreciate your ideas! The last house is so pretty!

Happy to hear that it wouldn’t be uncommon to have shutters on the front and not elsewhere. But I am definitely taking this all into consideration as to the sizing of the windows and how shutters might not be the right move. Lots to ponder.

• chloebud
    2 months ago

Really liking Beth’s last pic!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

The house will be great with fresh paint on the siding. Enjoy your kids while they are young!🙂

• ptreckel
    2 months ago

D M, a gracious, thoughtful response to the advice you have been given. Please keep us all posted about what you choose to do with your home. Looking forward to seeing your updates. Good luck!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 months ago

DM, no problem. from the pic you posted it looked like your were replacing the siding. If not, i'm sure new paint will work just as well.

• tozmo1
    2 months ago

If you like shutters, keep the shutters. Many homes have shutters only on the front. Your curved sidewalk is very nice. New paint, a little landscaping (buy small stuff, less expensive and it grows fast just like the kiddos) and your house will look wonderful.

• D M
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@tozmo1 We are actually going to be removing that walkway. I know it looks so nice and I had big plans for the sides of it (landscaping) but unfortunately the front of the home by the porch has sunk pretty badly. We need to remove the existing step, pull up at least half the walkway, and fill it in with dirt/soil. And then put in a new step. That and in the 2 years we’ve lived here no one has ever used that walkway. So I’m saving myself the cost and upkeep of the landscaping and just removing it. And will focus on more on the landscaping by the porch, kind of like the inspiration picture. This was the front of my house when we bought it, overgrown like crazy, so it has come a long way already.