SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tifflet

Hive mind: I need ideas for a challenging flooring situation

tifflet
2 months ago

We are doing some minor updates to a rental property. It's a 1955 ranch style that had the attached carport and garage converted into a den and master suite. The front door was also relocated, and now opens onto an entry hall floored in gauged Montauk Blue (I think) slate tile. The conversion has the same flooring height as the original part of the house. The den is carpeted, and is adjacent and open to the entry hall. The galley kitchen and breakfast nook have sheet vinyl floors, and are between the den and the original part of the home. The original 2.25" wide red oak hardwood floors are in the living area, hall, and three original bedrooms.

I want to replace the carpet and vinyl in the den, breakfast nook, and kitchen with a single flooring material to minimize the dreaded transitions. My dilemma is what to select that will coordinate with the slate entry and the hardwoods, since there are locations where all three are visible. Tile is my last choice because we don't want to invest that kind of money at this point. I am considering sheet vinyl or LVP in a neutral stone look or something? See, that's where I'm stuck. HELP!

We are installing new white shaker kitchen cabinetry. Countertop surface currently unknown. Of course the slate floor, along with entire house will be deep cleaned, repainted, and light fixtures updated.

I'm adding pictures so this makes sense. The house hasn't been cleaned since our tenants vacated, so please don't judge its current state of yuck.

Thank you for any ideas!

Comments (9)