SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barncatz

Clown Pants question

barncatz
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

So, we're flying to the east coast tomorrow to see DD, SIL and their new to them first home, a sweet little cottage in the Hudson Valley. DD, a millenial, has stuffed it with plants, lol. Anyway, I've been bereft since I lost both my horses so I tried some retail therapy. I bought some wide jeans and a waist length, fitted green sweater online from Ma##well. They fit to the extent that style "fits". They're apparently very in style and well put together in that style, as I confirmed with DD.

I had been musing on my youth and why I remembered thinking elderly women looked so ...uncurrent. Now that I'm elderly, I realized it's because I spend no time figuring out what's in style. If I bought jeggings 4 years ago and they're in the closet, they get put on. It's made worse because, unlike some of you, our life is extremely casual and jeans heavy. Even when we go to a local upscale restaurant, no one there is "styled".

So, should I wear the jeans and sweater when we tour Olana? I understand no one will care but I still am afraid of looking bizarre. I will put photos in comments and please be honest. The jeans look a bit baggier on me than on the model but look like it's deliberate; they look like I deliberately chose a wide look. The sweater is fine - it's "the outfit" I'm wondering about, even if it's not to your taste. What do you guys think?

Comments (35)

• barncatz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

These are not controversial items. What about your accessories?

You could always ask your DD for advice. Mine are good at that.

Sorry about your dear horses.

barncatz thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Related Discussions

'Clown Car' bathroom question (serious)

Q

Comments (4)
    I once saw someone take a couch home from the Restoration Hardware outlet in a small station wagon by plastic wrapping (with one of those big rolls meant for shipping) it into the car. I don't think that's probably the safest thing, and I wouldn't want to drive far like that, but it worked.
    ...See More

(OT Survey for DD) Clowns: Love Them or Hate Them?

Q

Comments (42)
    Thank you all so much for participating in DD's survey. I still remember the first time I checked out the group of lake cottages my family and I were going to rent for our week-long reunions. One cottage was decorated totally with clown art. IMO, it was a nightmare! My one sis and her family, who aren't clown-haters take that cottage every year. Many of the rest of us dislike even being in there! Another sis (I have 4), who also takes after our mom, inherited our grandparent's large, old Murano glass clown. She keeps it on her guest room dresser . . . until we come to visit. I won't sleep with that in our room and put it face down under her bed, far away from me while we're there. My3dogs: what a great piece of info. DD says "thank you!!!" for that. Kelly: ROFLMAO . . . I'm afraid to ask about that one! Lynn
    ...See More

Dorset Clown seedling....questions

Q

Comments (5)
    get the ones out from under the plants .. else.. a few years down the line.. they will inter-grow ... and you will ruing the effect of the named plant ... much easier to get them out now ... if tiny ... pot for this season.. bulk it up ... and plant in very early fall ... the DCsdlgs .. cut your odds... one in the ground.. one in the pot.. if you remain interested in messing with pots ... you say you have no exp with seedlings ... so what.. its a H first and foremost.. and you know how to deal with them ... which means its just down to whether you want to mess with pots ... and of course.. you know a SEEDLING of DC.. is NOT DC ... right??? ken
    ...See More

quick question on washing pants that have been dry cleaned

Q

Comments (5)
    DH has a lot of sweaters that have Dry Clean only labels on them. While he was working I sent them to the dry cleaner when needed. But now that he's retired and I have a front loader with a super delicate cycle I launder most of them. My neighbor used to have her jeans dry cleaned because she thought they wouldn't fade as quickly. But when they finally began to fade then she would wash them at home - so I guess having them dry cleaned first didn't make a difference.
    ...See More
  • deegw
    2 months ago

I keep typing out a bunch of blather but it all boils down to yes, you should wear it.

barncatz thanked deegw
  • Jilly
    2 months ago

Aww, barn, I’m sorry about your horses.

I think that outfit would look great. Excited for you, and congrats to them on their house!

barncatz thanked Jilly
  • barncatz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Well, I did ask and she's a doll. She takes after her dad. We couldn't really figure out accessories once I take my cute coat off, besides my shoes. She nixed necklace or pin.

Good to hear these aren't controversial. Where I live, no one would wear the jeans, for sure. They are definitely baggy for around here.

Miss my horses and my time caring for them so much.

• deegw
    2 months ago

Do you have a scarf that might work? The proportions would have to be right but you might have something in your closet.

Have fun on your trip!

barncatz thanked deegw
  • barncatz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I wondered about that, dee. What do you think the right scarf would be?

They look a bit more like these on me.

• Eileen
    2 months ago

Those don't seem wide to me. Might they to you because you've been in jeggings or tight jeans the last few years?

I hope they love living in the Hudson Valley. That's home to me (Beacon) and I've been missing it for forty years. The HV area is so unpopulated north of Poughkeepsie that I wouldn't worry about what's in fashion. I see there's a Wal-mart Supercenter across the river in Catskill. That says it all.

barncatz thanked Eileen
  • deegw
    2 months ago

I wouldn't do anything voluminous. I often wear a small/medium scarf like a necklace, knotted below my collarbone. I'm the type of person who looks better in collars and turtle necks and I also have a small bust so what works for me may not be good advice for others.

barncatz thanked deegw
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 months ago

I am so sorry about your horses and well. It's awful losing pets. They had a great life with you and I don't even know you. As far as clothing, those are not controversial items at all. Wear whatever you want that makes you feel good. Really. That's what I think. If you feel happy in it, if it makes you feel good then I really think that's what you should wear. I feel very happy wearing very wide leg pants that come up to my bosom but I'm also almost 6 ft tall so I can get away with it.

I will be very happy if skinny jeans completely die. And never resurrect.

barncatz thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 months ago

Anything is fine. And that's not so much because no one will care. Rather it's more because these days anything goes. I've seen jeans that are skinny, straight, boot, baggy all for sale now. I've seen jeans that are dark and light and in between. Some look new and crisp, others look worn and torn. I've seen tops that are long, short, mid length and combos there of such as long shirt, short sweater, short shirt, long sweater that's tucked...sometimes in the front, sometimes all over. I've seen shoes that are chunky and less chunky, sneakers and joggers, and loafers and dressy flats, casual heels.

For me, it's really more about what you feel comfortable in. I've always been classic, never fashion forward, so by the time I get used to a new look, it's on the way out. So be it. I'm presentable and comfortable and, unless it's a special occasion, that's fine by me.

If those jeans bother you, don't wear them. If you like them and it's just a matter of getting comfortable with the new look, (took me quite awhile to get used to leggings and now I wear them a lot) then wear them.

barncatz thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 months ago

Along those lines I will never have a nose ring that looks like you could grab, but I see it all the time around me and if they're happy....

barncatz thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Tina Marie
    2 months ago

Not clown pants at all! I agree that as we age, it's important to still care about our looks/style/clothing. I like to be stylish, but never trendy, if that makes sense! If the outfit feels good to you and looks good on you, then I say go for it! How about some chunky earrings? Not too big, but noticable.

ETA: Congrats to your daughter on the house, and I am so sorry about your horses. : (

barncatz thanked Tina Marie
  • Feathers11
    2 months ago

I think a pair of big hoop earrings would be fun with your outfit. Anyone can wear them, and they’re always in style.

Enjoy your trip!

barncatz thanked Feathers11
  • njmomma
    2 months ago

So sorry about your horses. Love the outfit! The jacket and type of shoe or boot will make it all come together. Add a chunky bracelet and you’re good to go!

barncatz thanked njmomma
  • blfenton
    2 months ago

There is nothing outlandish or clown-like about your outfit. If I'm going for a walk and then coffee/lunch I will wear an outfit (I'm jeans and t-shirts) such as that and wear a scarf that will go with my coat and if I take off my coat i can leave it on as an accessory to my top as well.

barncatz thanked blfenton
  • hhireno
    2 months ago

pants that come up to my bosom

I have new undies that are so high they almost meet my bra. I don’t need to wear an undershirt those days 😆

barncatz thanked hhireno
  • Funkyart
    2 months ago

Sorry to hear of the loss of your horses.

Temps have dipped here in the mid-atlantic-- it isnt freezing cold but right now it is in the low 30s and isnt to go above low 40s for the next week. Our weather in PA is similar and maybe a touch warmer than in the Hudson Valley.

I think a great wool scarf looks great with a sweater, jacket and jeans -- and I probably give way too much attention towards selecting one that works just right with my daily outfits. I have a variety of sizes, colors and plaids. Sometimes I coordinate color/pattern and sometimes I contrast. Toss your confidently over your shoulders for a casual/effortless look!

Add a great pair of boots and you'll have a perfect winter outfit!

barncatz thanked Funkyart
  • jill302
    2 months ago

Wishing your DD snd SIL much happiness in their new home. Have a wonderful visit.

The outfit looks cute. Not much of a fashionista, so no help on the accessories. Understand feeling that the pants are clown pants, I have not figured out how to make wider jeans work for me.

Sending you hugs on the loss of your horses, losing our beloved animals is just heartbreaking.

barncatz thanked jill302
  • barncatz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks all!

Eileen, she's on the other side from Poughkeepsie and Beacon and boy is it gorgeous. Her area is filled with Manhattan second homes and weekenders. They only managed to get into a house because they were willing to take on some home projects themselves. (Ex: DH is going to help them hang a new front door this weekend.)

Thanks for the advice, it was really helpful. I'm not going to wear the jeans. Once I looked at the model photo, I realized they're actually too big in the thighs for me. They're pretty baggy, not just unfitted. I have some wider jeans that I realize actually look more like the photos, so I'm going to add the scarf and chunky bracelets.

Funky, I've been meaning to thank you for your mention of the Chanel Velvet foundation. It's so flattering and covers without giving me clown paint to match my jeans.

• Kitchenwitch111
    2 months ago

Wide-leg jeans are certainly comfortable. Shorter proportions on the top at the waistline and the right shoes are important. It also helps to be tall and thin (as always!). I have a pair of wide-legs, but I'm not tall at 5'5" and I'm a bit thick in the middle and they look shlumpy on me -- I'm already wide! I prefer jeans in the "slim straight" cut, as they look better on me and work with the clothes I already have in my closet, although they are certainly not a fashion statement! I recently bought some dark wash boot-leg jeans for the first time in about 15 years, and I'm liking the elongated leg look (they're long, not ankle length). I was in NYC last week and I noticed all cuts of jeans worn.

I'm sorry for the loss of your horses. Enjoy your trip!

barncatz thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • barncatz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you for the empathy. I read two books that helped tremendously: one was A Grief Observed, written by CS Lewis after the death of his wife. The other was The Grieving Brain by Mary Francis O'Connor. I copied pages from Lewis, a library book, and ended up buying my own copy of The Grieving Brain so I could mark it.

• Tina Marie
    2 months ago

kitchenwitch, you are so right about height, etc. I am not quite 5'3 and wide leg jeans do not look good on me at all. I can wear some cropped wide leg pants that are flattering to me, but they must be a fabric that "hangs" well, not heavier weight like jeans. Flare legs are flattering on me too - and as you said, they make my legs look longer. I usually wear them with chunkier shoes with some heel - that helps too. Slim jeans are still for me too.

barncatz thanked Tina Marie
  • Ally De
    2 months ago

I understand exactly what you're trying to say. I too am short and wide legged pants make me look ridiculous - at least to me. So I'm another one who sticks with more fitted pants because the lines look better on my body.

All that said, another vote for what you've shown being fine. :) As others have said, I think so much of it comes down to how the outfit makes you feel. If it makes you feel good wearing it, then wear it, style it, and own it.

Sooo sorry about the loss of your horses. They are so special - words don't really capture the awesomeness of horses. It breaks my heart to see the conditions some of them are subjected too, but conversely it also makes me happy to know that some lived out their lives being treated with the compassion which they deserve.

barncatz thanked Ally De
  • Irish2
    2 months ago

@barncatz I’m very sorry for the loss of your two horses. I am going to look for these books as we just lost our girl 🐾 on the 5th. Two crossed the bridge within 70 days.

barncatz thanked Irish2
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 months ago

On the others, so sorry you lost your horses. The trip sounds wonderful and you will enjoy Olana. Not sure how far up or down the Hudson you will be, but if you get a chance to have a meal at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) I highly recommend it. It's near Hyde Park.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 months ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your horses. I hope some retail therapy and time with your daughter will help ease some of your pain.

I was picturing something very different when you said "clown pants". Looking at the pants and the sweater they look very current and like a reasonable outfit. That said, I do think each of us has to look at how styles look on our own bodies and whether we feel that they flatter. Trying something new is great, but it's ok if you find it's not the style for you.

My personal opinion is that the higher waisted pants, especially with the wider leg, need to be balanced with a shorter shirt. And likely that shirt either needs to be fitted or short enough that the nipped waist of the jeans is showing so the outfit doesn't look sloppy overall. Tucking in a shirt is a great option.

barncatz thanked pricklypearcactus
  • nicole___
    2 months ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, your horses.

I love your jeans and long sleeved black shirt. video....that gives ideas

barncatz thanked nicole___
  • daisychain Zn3b
    2 months ago

I am 5'7" and slightly (okay, really) pear shaped. I have a high waist. I started wearing high waisted, wide leg jeans as soon as they came out about 8 years ago. They are the perfect proportion for my body. I used to spend hours trying on jeans to get something that I felt okay in. I cried with joy when I first found these. Since I've been wearing them, I have had soooo many women stop me and ask where I got them from - usually women many decades younger than me, so it makes me feel pretty confident, it's not just my perception of the look. Anyhoo, I know they are not for every body type, but I do not think they look at all clownish. I think they are stylish. As mentioned above, there's a rule about slim, slim, wide, or something like that, that just basically means you have to balance a wide with a fitted. Also, you need to balance your footwear. So a wide pant usually needs a chunky shoe or boot. Does this answer the question? Sorry if I've gone off track. I love my wide leg pants so much, I tend to ramble on about them. :-)

barncatz thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Springroz
    2 months ago

I am so sorry to hear about your horses. I am getting ready to take 2 to the vet, wondering if I should change the dirty breeches I am wearing!!

I think the outfit is cute, and I hope you have a wonderful trip! Share pictures when you get back, please!!

barncatz thanked Springroz
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 months ago

I love the outfit and think you will look elegantly casual, especially with the sweater you chose. Some simple low-heeled or flat boots and you're good. If you have one a chunky-casual pendant necklace, not too long. Totally not necessary. Enjoy your visit, and I’m so sorry about the loss of your horses.

barncatz thanked OutsidePlaying
  • deegw
    2 months ago

Ugh Barncatz, that quote gave me the chills.

I'm glad you had a successful trip! Everything does seem much more crowded, doesn't it? I used to almost enjoy layovers in the Charlotte airport, but now it makes me claustrophobic.

I have a friend who lost her "heart horse" (her term) five or six years ago. She still posts about him once a month or so on Facebook. Nothing maudlin, just photos and videos. So, keep posting about Molly and Cisco here if it is comforting to you. We will chime in.

barncatz thanked deegw
  • Kswl
    2 months ago

Barncatz I am late to your fashion dilemma but it seems to have not been a dilemma at all— yay to you for stepping outside your comfort zone and seeing success! It’s nice to get compliments from family members who are so used to seeing you look one way that a change delights them.

My condolences on the loss of your beloved horses; they hold a special place in the animal kingdom as our friends and helpers. ❤️🐴

barncatz thanked Kswl
  • barncatz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@irish5 I'm sorry to hear about your loss. The loss of our beloved companions is so difficult to try and live with and to say goodbye to two within a short period is just awful.