SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellyscheafer

Help with Replacing a Pellet Stove and Dated TV Unit in Living Room

Shelly S
2 months ago

First, I want to thank everyone for their time reading this and for any ideas or suggestions on how I can remodel this section of my living room. I want a gas propane fireplace with a hearth to sit on and would like a mantle above it. I'm over the pellet stove, red brick surround, and corner mantle. They've had a good life and served my family well, but I'm ready for an update. At the same time, I want to take out this large TV unit. I no longer need DVD and component storage, and the natural maple has turned very yellow, and the style doesn't match what I'm wanting (Clean lines, shaker cabinet doors on a storage area below with open book shelves surrounding the TV). I'd like to build a corner fireplace unit right on top of the brick, and go to the ceiling with a flat wall and put a nice mantle on it. Then, build the TV unit so it butts up to the new wall and looks cohesive. The travertine floor needs to stay, but I know for a fact that it goes to the wall under the TV unit.

Here is what I currently have:

The painted white wood surrounding the red brick, paneling in this corner, and doors and door trim were all natural, now yellowed maple. My original plan was to paint everything taupe like the doors, but when I painted the paneling and brick surround taupe, it made the corner really dark. So, I tried White Dove to match the walls, and that's when I realized I wasn't going to get what I wanted by painting.

Again, thank you for any ideas or suggestions!

Comments (4)