SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seniorballoon

Clematis Pruning Groups

SeniorBalloon
3 months ago

Pacific Northwest - Zone 7B

I have been very bad about keeping track of the names of my clematis, and I'm now trying to get my brain around pruning practices.

For instance, I have a President, (I know the name of this one, yay. :o) ) every year I have cut this back hard in late winter, early spring. It always flowers very nicely in mid to late summer. I am reading today it is in Group B, which according to this web site - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/clematis/group-two-pruning-guide and they advice pruning in late winter, early spring, but with the specific tip to do this-

"Remove dead or weak stems before growth begins. Check individual stems from the top down until you reach a pair of healthy buds, and prune just above them, removing the spindly or damaged growth above."

I'm sure the Brits now what they're talking about, and I've also read that some Group B can be treated like Group C. Perhaps the President can handle either, but this year I'm thinking of following the RHS advice.

I have another No ID clematis, that is in some bit of shade. it has never flowered much, but I've neglected it over the years. The last few years I've been pruning it back hard in late winter early spring and it hasn't flowered at all. It grows vigorously, and climbs 8 to 10 feet, but no flowers. While it could be the partly shady condition, I'm thinking it's in Group B, and one that doesn't like hard pruning at all, and I'll be trying the above RHS tip on that one.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio