SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Wedding Guest dresses (vol. 75, at least) - Update 2.0 (reviews)

bbstx
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Update: Neither dress fit my apple shape - even wearing Spanx. And it truly is apple-y. I have no waist at all. Even when I was a skinny little kid, I had no waist.

Back to the drawing board. I have reviewed each dress under the picture below, but here are the things they had in common:

-Each dress has a built in camisole with spaghetti straps that went though a lingerie strap keeper - nice touch.

-Neither dress had set in sleeves, nor raglan sleeves. They both had a dart-like seam at the shoulder that ended down on the arm about where a cap sleeve would hit. It wasn’t flattering on me. On me it looked like the dress was too big in the shoulders.

-Both seemed very long-waisted.

-Both dresses have cheap-looking rhinestone buttons on the cuffs.

- #1 ”shirt” was off-white; #2 was white-white.

Original text: I am going to a formal wedding in a chilly climate in late April. Below are 2 dresses that I like. Or I should say, one dress with 2 different necklines.

- which do you like better?

- how would you accessorize?

Remember my shape is ”apple.”

REVIEW:

Things I liked: POCKETS. I loved that it had pockets in the skirt. The dress buttoned up the front all the way from the hem to the neck. The lower few buttons could be left unbuttoned to show a little leg. But for the topmost button, the buttons were hidden behind a placket.

Cons: The fabric was thinner than I expected. The topmost button was a cheap-looking rhinestone button, but it could easily be replaced with a pretty MOP button. The sash was a single layer thick with a tiny hem on either side. It was hard to get a pretty bow tied. I thought that was cheap looking.

REVIEW:

Things I liked: The mechanism for the wrap top is good. There is a side-front zipper in the skirt hidden under a pleat. It is topped by a heavy-duty bar and hook for the top. The fabric has a richer hand than #1. The sash is doubled giving it a more finished look.

Cons: no pockets! Looked like the wrap for the top was a little skimpy and might be hard to keep in place.

Really not a con, but an observation: The sleeves are 3/4 not long as pictured.

I am not surprised that neither fit, but I am disappointed. I’m going to visit my sister in a couple of weeks. Someone has put her onto a stylist. Maybe I’ll see what a stylist can come up with.

Comments (70)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!