SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabotanica

36" Gas range recommendations? Wolf, BlueStar RCS or Cafe?

Joan Stevens
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Hey all, our 2006 Viking is kaput. Would cost $3700 to repair it (it needs new hinges, thermostat, and igniters for burners and oven). We have been looking at the Wolf, Blue Star and Cafe ovens. Prefer less electronic tech. . We cook a lot and bake regularly. Our Viking had a griddle and four burners. We use the griddle regularly too. It seems for every range that people praise there are a few reviews that warn you against. So far the pricing I've seen is the Cafe for $5700 from CostCo (with a 2 year warranty), Wolf is $7200 for the 6 burner ($8060 with the griddle) and would come with a 3 year warranty, and $5K for the RSC 36" Blue Star that has a 2 year warranty. It seems the open burners on the Blue Star are better for temp control (they have the star shape and the sealed ones don't - correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the star shape burners is a big part of what makes Blue Star special)- maybe a little harder to clean though comments are not consistent. We may have to forego the griddle option as they add so much expense.

I'm curious what any of your experience with these ranges might be?

and if any griddles you've used on top of burners have been decent?

Thanks,

Joan

We went with the Wolf with 6 burners. We nixed the griddle (as much as I really wanted it - it was just too costly when you can get one on top of the stove for a not much money). Also nixed the Cafe because of the electronics. I prefer less tech when it comes to appliances. One of the reasons we chose the Wolf was the 3 year warranty (if you use Wolf certified installation). We plan to live in Germany for two years starting in the fall and renting out our house. I was concerned that the BlueStar would be too difficult a stove (and would never get cleaned!) while we were gone. Also the 3 year warranty will cover it for the whole time we are gone which is a relief. The Blue Star is absolutely a work of art but I felt like Wolf has better reliability. Someday I might get my dream oven (48" BlueStar platinum or RNB with a door that matches the kitchen) but for now I feel incredibly fortunate to have a gorgeous, durable, reliable range coming that will help make me a better cook!

Here's the google doc I made with lots of the information I gathered: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dWPo2RsBCB7Ker_LcjeLqe5wclEjYE9KMT6-kfM-IV8/edit?usp=sharing 

Comments (9)