SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianela7analabama

Golden Opportunity?

dianela7analabama
3 months ago

I said I wasn’t going to order any roses this year except Bring me sunshine and then I ordered from Palatine. Then I ordered Big Ben from Jackson and Perkins and so on. Now I ordered several varieties from High country roses including Golden Opportunity. Has anyone tried this rose. It may be too new since the pictures from help me find show very small plants, but I am so excited by the gorgeous peach orange blossoms shown on their picture. They say it is disease resistant!

P.s: I was just able to type this entire message using the Houzz app on my iPhone. For the past 3 years I have had to type on a note and then copy and paste because the website would not let me type without doing crazy things. If anyone is experiencing those issues and hasn’t tried the app, it may be a good idea.

Comments (21)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 months ago

Dianela, I dont have Golden Opportunity but look at the parentage and the breeders, how could you go wrong? The color is amazing!

dianela7analabama thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Kristine those are details I noticed that made this rose impossible to pass up. I will report back this year on how it does, I am so excited to try it.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Ohhh and they say it is fragrant to boot 😄

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

Dianela I am so excited to learn what you think of the fragrance-such an important trait to me

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Its in my list for coming season as well.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    3 months ago

I am very happy to see that you are all considering Golden Opportunity, I had her one year I think it is truly outstanding, a very bushy well filled climber that repeats fast and heavy with very high quality blooms. There are two newer Weeks climbers…Golden Opportunity and Lady in Red that I think bloom so much better than any others I have grown, they are super bushy and well branched, and the blooms just come out of everywhere all season long. My plant:

ARS did a video where they captured the mature plant at Weeks’ Pomona trials garden:

The plant was not mentioned by variety, but I sent these screenshots to Tom Carruth and he confirmed it was Golden Opportunity. He said he had labored for a very long time to create a really good yellow climber and was very pleased with the result.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Wow thank you BenT. It your help me find picture of this plant that actually really sold me on getting one. I was highly impressed to see the perfect shiny foliage and large blooms on such a small plant.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

The full bush shots are very beautiful and definitely something special on a plant of this color range.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I apologize for all the posts, now that I am using the app for this site I can’t figure out how to edit my comments to add anything. I am looking for a glorious rose for my futures home front door and the contenders so far are.
    Bathsheba
    Peach Melba
    Golden opportunity
    Colette
    Heavenly ascent

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

Of those I have Bathsheba, Heavenly Ascent and Colette. Of those three I would have to say Bathsheba. She is just so great at everything-health, fragrance, vigor….

dianela7analabama thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Ben, what an incredibly bloomy rose and that color !! I wish that I had room for a climber.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Daniela, out of your list I have ordered/planning to order:

Peach Melba
    Golden opportunity
    Colette

You might also consider Polka, also ordered for this saeson.

dianela7analabama thanked elenazone6
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Ok I lost my comment. Oursteelers thank you. Bathsheba is my be of all time favorite Austin’s. I said I wasn’t going to buy any roses this year as I will have to keeping them in pots. So of course I ended up still ordering several. I made this to visualize their colors together (missing Colette). I am going to test them for a year to see how they do with black spot before adding them to my garden.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I will definitely let you know if any are particularly fragrant

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

If it is anything like autumn sunset it should look and smell great! Are you adding any deeper colors to the mix in the future? I would ask you to name them but that is quite a few!

dianela7analabama thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

In order from left to right
    Soumbreuil, heavenly ascent, delta gamma heritage, Big Ben climbing rose, Gruaud Larose, Rosenfazination, Courage, Kosmos, The Pride, Anastasia, Meine rose, Sonnenwelt, Cream veranda, Adam, Tranquility (a gift from my friend Jen “lilyfinch” 😄
    Guislaine de Feligonde, Marianne, Belinda’s blush, Belinda’s dream, Bliss, Being me sunshine, Coquette des Blanches, Easy Spirit, Cloud 10, Golden Opportunity, Snow Pavement, Franziska Kruger, Mel’s Heritage.

Sorry I hope I got them all correct and the typos aren’t to terrible.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I added several hot colors last year like Vulcano and Meteor. I also got several Flamenco rosita and 3 Bordeaux cityscapes. Vulcano specially was the highlight of perfection in my garden.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I don’t understand why I can’t edit my comments to correct my misspellings

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

Dianela, were you surprised by Delta Gamma Heritage? I only got it because ARE was raising their prices so I wanted to get it just in case I would want it later.

I can’t really explain why but it really made an impression on me. Maybe because I got Dmitri Hvorostovksy and was kinda repulsed by its fading blooms and DGH’s faded prettily.

The blooms had more….romance than I expected, the fragrance and health was great. Gotta say I don’t remember when I was last surprised this much by a rose.

dianela7analabama thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

Dianela, do you have the 3 little dots at the bottom of your post?

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Kristine no little dots on the App. I have them on the web browser but then I can’t type on the site. I can type using the app but then no correction or edit options show. Do you use the app? Do you have the dots in the app? I wish things would work a bit smoother.

Oursteelers this will be my first year with Delta Gamma but your words are very welcome. It looks lovely and I am hopping it does great. I am glad it does well for you and I hope it can stand up to the black spot .