SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vikkiandharold

Help with LED lighting for Bookshelves

Harold
3 months ago

Hello everyone!

I have some questions about LED lighting for my home office/library bookshelves and would love some advice and/or recommendations for how to proceed. The general idea is to have gold color glass tiles as wall cover in the built-in bookshelves on either side of the fireplace. So the subway tile backsplash in the wet bar and the green wallpaper by the file cabinets would change to glass tiles. These tiles would run all the way to the ceiling dome (i.e., behind shelves 1~8). I would like to light the tiles to get the “golden” glow but what is the best way of achieving this effect? My current thinking is to have the LED strip mounted in the back of the shelf facing down at a 45 degree angle to cast the light on the shelf below. However:

1. Should I have light strips facing up and down on each shelf to get a more uniform lighting? The shelf height is about 10” apart on the right side and 14” apart on the left (wet bar) side.

2. Would I have to use a LED strip on the counter top / desk surface facing up to account for the longer distance between the surface and shelves 4 / 8? If so, how would I mount it to hide the glare? The distance is about 20” apart for the wet bar and 23” for the desktop.

3. As I understand, there need to be a gap between the back end of the shelf where the LED strip is mounted and the surface which will be illuminated. How much of a gap is needed? There is about 18” from the glass tile to the front face of the shelf. Would 4” be enough or too much?

4. I was thinking about using RGBWW – any recommendations on brands and/or controllers?

Any ideas and thoughts would be welcomed!

Comments (2)