SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_852293901

Architect designs failed zoning review - how should we respond?

E C
4 months ago

We live on a corner lot and have spent the last two years working on an addition design that faces the street side of our home (not the front entry, the garage side).

We moved out in early December, with plans for demo to take place in mid-December. Design plans for code review had been submitted in early November.

Just prior to the Christmas holiday we learned our plans did not comply with zoning ordinances. The issue is that the city defines unpermissable demolition as "razing, tearing down, or demolishing a street facing wall." This is the wall that would need to be taken down to accommodate the new addition.

After a great deal of obfuscation and confusion, we learned that the zoning denial was related to this definition, of which our design team was unaware.

The team contends that this is an "interpretation" by the city - but the language is just as I wrote above, not ambiguous - the demolition of a street-facing wall is considered a full tear down.

Further complicating the situation - if our team *had* understood the code, and gone through a conditional use permit request to allow for the demolition - the resulting build would fall under "new construction" which kicks off an entirely new set of zoning requirements to which our designs do not comply.

Our question is: How severe of an oversight was the misunderstanding of "demolition" by our design team? They claim that they "learn the code by experience and this is the first time they have encountered this issue". Bear in mind that this is a leading firm with price points to match that reputation.

In my research to understand what happened (the designer's explanation was insufficient for us to comprehend what had taken place), the language of the code is not only unambiguous - it is the lead paragraph on the section dedicated to demolition.

The designer's contention is that the city didn't flag the zoning error in earlier conversations (which, I believe were related to confirming setbacks) and that the city's "interpretation" of the code is the source of the problem.

I'd appreciate your feedback on whether this is just "one of those things" or if it exceeds the acceptable bounds of professional practice.

Comments (34)