SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Do I need a landscape DESIGNER or landscape ARCHITECT?

We are in the process of planning what I am sure is going to be a multi-year, multi-phase hardscaping project and I need some guidance in choosing a landscape professional. My house is situated on a deep, narrow (50' wide), steeply sloped lot with all of the retaining walls, stairs and difficult spaces that entails. The major problem areas that we would like to improve are the back patio, which is a ~39'x9' slab of poured concrete sandwiched between the house and a retaining wall, and the (failing) front fence/hedge, which are situated at the top of a naturally-occurring ridge but are being undermined by erosion. Here's a drawing:

To complicate matters, there is an existing drainage system in the side yard which, as far as I can tell, runs from the cement trough next to the dirt part of the back patio to a catch basin near the front fence. This catch basin also is also connected to another conduit that as far as I can tell runs parallel to the ridge along the front of the house (no idea where it ends, though, or whether it actually stays parallel to the fence). The trough is a tripping hazard and very inconveniently located, and I want to find a way to cover or eliminate it.

We would like to extend the patio over the dirt area in the upper right corner of the drawing and a bit farther down the side yard, over the trough to fill the area up to the window well jutting out from the bay window. We don't currently have any issues with standing water in the side yard or moisture getting into the house from the patio, but presumably adding more hard surface in the back and eliminating the trough could change that equation. I would also like to replace the front fence and hedge with a retaining wall to prevent any further erosion.

I met with a landscape DESIGNER a few weeks ago who had some ideas about how to handle the various issues, but given the complexity of the hardscaping/drainage issues, I am wondering if I should consult with a landscape ARCHITECT instead. Thoughts? I appreciate your input - thanks in advance!

Comments (16)