SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

landscape architect vs. designer

tetrazzini
16 years ago

We have a lot of landscaping work we need done, on about one acre, including changing the location of our driveway. The rest of the work is largely aesthetic, tying together the raggedy parts of our property. I'm unsure about what type of professional to hire. So far I've had a few people with varying credentials come over to talk about it.

I'm very confused about who to go with on this. Is a landscape designer someone who has a degree in LD? Or could he or she be just anyone who thinks they have a knack for it? Is a degree even important in this field?

The first person I spoke to was from a design/build firm that's part of an upscale nursery. I love what I've seen of their work. They don't charge for the plan per se, so I'm assuming they make their profit by charging more for the subcontractor's work than the subcontractor would charge if hired directly (am i right about this?) Also, I'm wondering if they can charge more because of their name and upscale location.

I then interviewed a landscape architect who seemed immediately to grasp what our problems were and what possible solutions might be. That and his credentials were assuring, but we weren't really impressed by the projects he showed on his website.

I also interviewed someone who's taken up landscape design as his second career and is self-taught. His hourly rate is less than half that of the LA's. I haven't seen his work yet, but I'm wondering if he'd be a lower cost alternative: capable of delivering as high quality a design as the others but at a lower rate.

Lastlly, I spoke with a local backhoe operator who does good work. He's also of the opinion that he could do the driveway part for much less than these "fancy design firms."

Good, large-scale landscaping work that involves "hardscaping": Is it necessarily done by LAs, or is it as often done by landscape designers (whoever they are!?) And what about the idea of paying for a master plan and then hiring the skilled labor ourselves? If I'm confident of their work, is this a good way to save money?

I'd love to hear from people who have gone through this process, and from professionals who can help clear up some things.

Thank you very much, and sorry this is so long!

Comments (10)