SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

Food Storage Containers for everything you cook....

nicole___
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

I need to replace my really OLD Tupperware with something BPA FREE. I need manageable sizes....not huge...not tiny.

Maybe microwave safe...

Note: For large items, I use a Ziplock bag in the freezer or covered ceramic casserole in the frig.

What are YOU ALL using?

Comments (60)

• Lars
    4 months ago

I bought a lot of storage containers from The Container Store, but I don't know whether that is still open. There is one in El Segundo, but none in Palm Springs. I also bought some stretchy plastic lids to use with bowls that did not have their own lids.

I've saved a lot of plastic mayo jars for storing things like dried beans and flours, but I use glass jars when I want to vacuum seal things. After losing a lot of glass jars in the Northridge quake, I switched to plastic, but gradually I've gone back to glass, some of which are old pickle jars.

I have two plastic pie keepers, and those do get a lot of use, and I have some metal cookie containers that I use for cookies. I save any metal containers I get and keep them in the garage if I don't have room for them in the kitchen. In general, I like to see what is inside a container, but cookies are an exception.

nicole___ thanked Lars
  • Judi
    4 months ago

In the frig I mostly use round glass Pyrex bowls with lids. I also have some old Corningware.

In the pantry I use all glass -- some is Anchor Hocking, the rest is Ball/Mason jars. I also use the plastic lids that Carol posted.

nicole___ thanked Judi
  • Related Discussions

Do you cook all food using convection? do you modify recipe times

Q

Comments (10)
    I took a little course put on by the Wolf distributor here ... it was very informational. They didn't recommend using straight convection for anything that has much of a side on the pan, because the side blocks the air circulation, which is how the food is being cooked, so the top will cook faster than the inside. But it's fine to use convection with cookie sheets and broiler pans, or at least try to use the lowest side available. Also, don't cover food if you're using convection. They recommended convection bake for pies, not straight convection. And, if you are using straight convection, flavors will not transfer (eg, it's okay to bake a tray of bacon-wrapped scallops on one rack and cookies on another). They also said to turn down heat 25 degrees and reduce time 20 to 25 percent with convection, which matches what I've heard elsewhere. Here is the percentage of oven element used for each mode (this is for Wolf) Bake stone = 40% broil, 60% stone Bake = 10% broil, 90% bake (the hidden element on bottom) Convection bake = 90% fan, 10% bake Broil = 100% broil Convection broil = 100% broil, 100% fans Roast = 25% broil, 75% bake Convection roast = 25% broil, 75% fans Convection = 100% fans
    ...See More

glass food storage containers

Q

Comments (12)
    I regularly smash my way through my stash of glass baking/microwave containers. I use these for refrigerator storage also, like those who avoid plastics. Not long ago, Pyrex casseroles came with lids that were flat, with handles on sides. They can double as plate-sized microwaveable shallow containers. Now I can only buy them at used-stuff sales; they have been supplanted with lids that have center knobs. Frequently we grab a plate from the cupboard to cover a casserole of leftovers now, because we need a low-clearance lid that allows something to stack on top of the casserole in our normal-sized refrigerator. (By the way, the same trick works if you need a make-do lid for a crock pot.) Anyone know if there are low-clearance no-knob Pyrex casserole lids sold new today?
    ...See More

Cooking Oil storage container

Q

Comments (14)
    I don't have a container recommendation (but I love the look of the rachel ray one above!), but do have an idea for what to keep them on. My spilly/drippy stuff (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, etc) sits in the cupboard, but on a flat square plate. That way it all sits flat and is still easy to grab out and put back, and when the plate gets a bit grungy I can just put it in the dishwasher. I bought two plates so I can switch them out easily. I was just looking on the internet to see if I could find a picture, and came across this one from pier one which might be perfect for you. The "olio d'oliva" one that is: flat plate from pier one. Here is ours (the olive oil is behind the vinegar and vitamin d ... geez I guess i'm more of a cooking spray than cook from scratch gal these days ... lol, busted!)
    ...See More

What kind of food storage containers do you use?

Q

Comments (32)
    I hate disappearing lids! For that reason I use the Rubbermaid that the lid snaps to the bottom, and the set as advertised on TV that all fits inside each other and have the lids attached. They are great. I too have glass Pyrex but the red lids keep splitting and I wash by hand. I keep a supply of the cheap ziplock in the cabinet too. Those I don't mind giving away.
    ...See More
  • faftris
    4 months ago

I freeze a lot of soup and spaghetti sauces and I use Rubbermaid containers that have screw-on lids. I realize that they are plastic, but glass wouldn't be good for the freezer in the garage.

nicole___ thanked faftris
  • whistle_b
    4 months ago

I use glass containers in the freezer in my garage. Why not?

nicole___ thanked whistle_b
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 months ago

I use glass jars in my freezer too - but I learned the hard way not to fill things to the top - and also not to tighten the lids down until it's frozen.

nicole___ thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Fun2BHere
    4 months ago

I have an assortment of square and rectangular glass containers with plastic snap-on lids. They are made by various manufacturers. I’ve never noticed much of a difference between them. I usually pick them up at Home Goods because then I can buy the specific sizes I need.

nicole___ thanked Fun2BHere
  • lizbeth-gardener
    4 months ago

I've been trying to get away from plastic, but I still use the Food Saver for the freezer. I have quite a few small and medium size pyrex dishes with plastic lids, Corning Ware, Mason Jars with the plastic screw on lids and I also have several Working Glasses with lids. The ones I love are a set of tapered square, stackable Anchor Hocking glass dishes that probably hold 1 1/2 to 2 qts and are discontinued.

nicole___ thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • JoanM
    4 months ago

I just used both versions and the plastic bottoms are stamped Snapware with the volumes and the glass bottoms are stamped Pyrex. Same company now? Who knows. I like that the lids work on both bottoms.

nicole___ thanked JoanM
  • lucillle
    4 months ago

glass wouldn't be good for the freezer in the garage.

I freeze soups and sauces sometimes in pint mason jars, letting the food cool down first and allowing roomin the jar for expansion when freezing. I've never had an issue.

nicole___ thanked lucillle
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Sheerry8a, lizbeth-,Judi,....LOVE Corning ware & pyrex! I have those sets.

Honestly...My husband would break "glass or pyrex". He needs plastic to take to the construction site with a salad. Just ran ALL over town, ended up with Rubbermaid for him. I'd like glass storage for everyday leftovers. The glass by Rubbermaid @Petalique shows...THOSE look awesome. Ace Hardware sells those. I'll pick up a few of those too.

You ALL are AWESOME! Looking at what everyone is using really helps push me in the right direction. I've been putting off buying these for awhile.

• faftris
    4 months ago

I just don't want to carry glass down the stairs, all 20 of them--walk to the garage, open the garage door and then put them in the freezer. I often make 6-8 quart containers at a time, and it adds to the weight of the carrying bin. I have been using the same containers for years and years, so I don't feel I am impacting the environment. Plus, I bring them to DD1 so she has a quick dinner sometimes when she staggers in from work, and dragging glass containers on the train and subway would be a horror. The amount of bubble wrap!

• Bluebell66
    4 months ago

I like Pyrex with basic plastic lids (not snap on), and I also like U-Konserve, which is stainless steel with silicone lids. I typically only use the stainless for things I don't need to re-heat. I recently learned that Pyrex sells replacement plastic lids, so I plan to buy a few to replace 20 years-old lids that have cracked.

nicole___ thanked Bluebell66
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    4 months ago

I like the oblong-shaped plastic containers from a local grocery store, and I also use some Rubbermaid TakeAlongs. I don't use a microwave, so nothing gets reheated in them - they're just used for either storing in the fridge or taking lunch to work. Somehow I like the oblong shape better than square or rectangular.

• annie1992
    4 months ago

I use mostly glass canning jars, I have hundreds of them. They go into the freezer just as well as in my pantry with dried beans or on the shelf with this year's canned pickles. Plus, they make great refrigerator storage because I can see through them so items don't get forgotten or "lost".

I do have some of the Rubbermaid Brilliance, but I seldom use it. The seal is leakproof all right, it fits so tight that I spill the contents trying to get the lid off. I've even got one that has a corner of the lip broken off, the corner of the container broke before the lid came off. I far prefer the Lock N Lock brand if I need that type of storage.

I also have various Corning Ware, Fire King and Pyrex containers that go in the refrigerator, but none have leakproof seals, so they are good for fridge storage but not so good for carrying items for lunches.

Annie

nicole___ thanked annie1992
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 months ago

We avoid food contacting plastic as much as possible. For fridge or other uses, ceramic or glass only.

nicole___ thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 months ago

I seldom use anything plastic anymore except for keeping a few new containers for people to take home give away foods as mentioned.

I have bought some graduated sizes of Pyrex glass with fitted lids for refrigerated leftovers. I bought a set of Oxo with the locking lids but was disappointed when I discovered a couple of the lids didn’t lock properly. I should probably have bought the Rubbermaid Brilliance. I also have a set of Viking Stainless mixing bowls I use a lot and they have lids that work fairly well for short term storage.

I do not use glass in the freezer, preferring to use the Food Saver system instead for anything that goes in there for space saving and longevity. Occasionally i will use a ziplock freezer bag as an outer bag if I have wrapped something bulky in foil.

nicole___ thanked OutsidePlaying
  • claudia valentine
    4 months ago

I have found new uses for older covered baking dishes for putting away in the fridge. Other than than, I use canning jars for just about EVERYTHING! I love my canning jars! I wont buy any more of those storage sets, ever. I am thinking of sewing some bonnets for bowls to use, too. Nothing tops my canning jars in half pint to half gallon sizes. Of course I also use them to can tomatoes in teh summer. Things look so pretty in the jars and the glass keeps them nice and cold and it is so easy to keep clean the glass jar and the same lids fit them all. I have almost elininated all of the old anything plastic at all.

nicole___ thanked claudia valentine
  • bpath
    4 months ago

I have a few of these silicone covers that can go on most of my bowls, even cereal bowls and ramekins. Nice for leftovers, or things I’ve prepped that need to be covered. No for long-term, and you can’t stack them, and don’t bump the lids too hard or the seal breaks. But you can lift the bowl by the little thing in the center, that’s how tight the seal is, but I wouldn’t do it over the floor, just in case.

nicole___ thanked bpath
  • chisue
    4 months ago

We need a thread on how we decide how much of something is 'worth saving', as opposed to going into the garbage. Some of the storage items pictured here are pretty tiny.

nicole___ thanked chisue
  • maire_cate
    4 months ago

I have an assortment of vintage Corning Ware French White casseroles, Pyrex and Rubbermaid Brilliance. When the kids come for dinner I re-use plastic containers from the supermarket or restaurants so they can take leftovers home.

nicole___ thanked maire_cate
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    4 months ago

" We need a thread on how we decide how much of something is 'worth saving', as opposed to going into the garbage. "

Or keeping it out of the garbage and recycling or composting it instead!

• nicole___
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@chisue...The little storage containers I use for cooking a single egg in the microwave. Then I put one on an English muffin with a sausage patty & cheese. I freeze a dozen at a time. Or....salad dressing, when we work a side job I make us lunch. My husband has tiny little containers he puts fruit & nuts in to put on his Plain Greek Yogurt.

I doubt anyone is putting a tiny meal in one of those....🍔 quote: America throws away nearly 60 million tons of food every year. That's almost 40 percent of the entire US food supply.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 months ago

There are many materials for which technology and processes exist to recycle them, that are not so handled because it costs more to do so than is the end product worth. Customers and local governments are unwilling to foot such processing costs and so they're processed like other solid waste. Many European countries burn such materials (certain plastics are a good example) to produce electricity.

Many composting advocates are bullies. With the same attitudes as some missionaries, either follow their way or go to the hot place down under. There are many people who either live in homes where composting is impractical or simply don't wish to do it. Don't overlook the vermin consequences of putting garbage outside in yards. I don't garden, have no interest in composting, and shed no tears when unused or unusable food leaves our house via the weekly refuse pickup. I do my part in many other ways and am not seeking a 100% environmental score.

• Judi
    4 months ago

Vermin? My city neighborhood is home to raccoons, opossums, squirrels, armadillos, and I'm sure a few rats. The fact that I do or do not have a compost bin wouldn't change that.

I do garden and realize the value of compost for said garden and all flower beds. We have a lawn that produces grass clippings, trees that produce leaves, and a kitchen that provides a daily supply of produce waste. It's a no brainer to incorporate it all into a compost bin that in turn rewards me for being a good steward.

nicole___ thanked Judi
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    4 months ago

" There are many people who either live in homes where composting is impractical or simply don't wish to do it. Don't overlook the vermin consequences of putting garbage outside in yards. I don't garden, have no interest in composting, and shed no tears when unused or unusable food leaves our house via the weekly refuse pickup. "

There are other ways to safely get rid of food waste other than composting, which can be impractical for many people. I certainly wouldn't compost in my yard (wildlife) or in my home, but if my municipality didn't pick up composting materials I'd definitely find another way to recycle them. My sister's new FoodCycle is one of the ways:

Food waste recycling machines are relatively new on the market, but the prices will come down if there's enough demand (which I hope) - they use grinding, heat, and dehydration to reduce most food waste by about 90% to a smell- and bacteria-free sawdust-like product that can be stored for up to a year before being dug into soil (and if the user doesn't want it (as I wouldn't), I'm sure they have friends and neighbours who would).

• plllog
    4 months ago

We have green pickup for all garden and food waste as well as plain uncoated paper food handling items, Recent party, sugarcane fiber plates, paper cups and napkins, went with all the mess right into the bin, The compost is available for pickup.

It's interesting how many use canning jars. I use them for things like preportioned oats, but the verticality doesn't work with most of my food. Makes sense for the pantry, but don't stack. I'm surpeised that Annie has so much trouble opening Brilliance. There are tiny holes in the covers as part of the litch assembly, making them air tight. Open the latches and the air goes in releasing the seal. The tops and wells have different shapes at the corners, giving a place to push them apart. For me, they come off very easily.

nicole___ thanked plllog
  • nelliebean
    4 months ago

I tend to wash out the bags our milk comes in store things in the freezer. For most of my leftovers, I place them in a bowl with a plate on top.

nicole___ thanked nelliebean
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 months ago

Anyone who prefers to store food waste for up to a year and then find a friend to give it to is more than welcome to do so. I give my friends other things. As far as safe disposal of food, my can works perfectly. We're supposed to put food waste in with yard waste but I can't get interested in doing do. I've read my view of this is widely shared.

• chisue
    4 months ago

I've learned not to bother with any leftover that isn't likely to be eaten for lunch by one of us in the next two days. Otherwise, I'm merely postponing the farewell, while creating another dish to be washed.

IDK where I got them, but I have some 'shower cap' type covers that can be reused. Right now I have one of these over a bowl of clemmies in the fridge -- with a hole poked in it to let a little moisture out.

As for garbage, our two-adult household has little food garbage. I could copy a neighbor who freezes such bits in summer and rarely puts out his barrel. Our town has twice-weekly garbage pickup and weekly recycling. We're at the end of the route. I see carts going to landfill with all the garbage carefully preserved in white plastic bags.

nicole___ thanked chisue
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    4 months ago

" Anyone who prefers to store food waste for up to a year and then find a friend to give it to is more than welcome to do so. "

Who said they wanted to do that?

• annie1992
    4 months ago

plllog, it's not just me. When I bought them, I read the reviews on Amazon and several said the lids were impossible to remove. I kind of fluffed that off, I'm not a dainty little damsel that needs someone to open my pickle jars. Those things, though? I cannot get the lids off. I flip up the latches, which should release any pressure inside, but the gaskets seal so tightly that the lids still won't come off. Liquid will leak out those holes, though, unfortunately. I asked Elery to open one for me and that's how the corner broke off before the lid came off. It still seals, that was not compromised, but I won't keep anything in them that will make a mess when I'm fighting to get the lids off.

I find that wide mouthed canning jars work for many things. It's easier to remove things like leftover mashed potatoes from the wide mouth jars than the regular ones. It isn't perfect, things like leftover roast chicken pieces or that last piece of pumpkin pie, etc., those things go into the Pyrex/etc.

Annie

nicole___ thanked annie1992
  • plllog
    4 months ago

Ah. I don't have liquids in mine, so maybe they make a tighter seal. I have grains, beans, flours and other powders, and packages like baking chocolate, in mine. They open really easily. I would use a jar for liquid, for sure. ... For small liquids, like roasting run off, I usually use French ”working glasses”, which are flat bottomed, glass tumblers with thick rolled edges and flexible plastic lids. They get wider at the top, rather than narrower. I forgot all about that!

nicole___ thanked plllog
  • arcy_gw
    4 months ago

Storage containers are collected over time. When you find you don't have the size needed it's purchased. To the point where now I have glass snap ware/old time tupperware/jelly jars with snap on lids and all sorts of lesser plastic containers. I've been gifted sets of the tupperware copy cats. Purchasing that way got me a ton of sizes I have no need of. Given they are plastic that bothers me on a few levels not least is the storage issue. Bottom line it's not a one size fits all, one and done purchase. Sorry.

nicole___ thanked arcy_gw
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 months ago

"Who said they wanted to do that?"

You said that was a use feature:

"can be stored for up to a year before being dug into soil (and if the user doesn't want it (as I wouldn't), I'm sure they have friends and neighbours who would)."

• faftris
    4 months ago

I know there's a store in Brooklyn where you have to bring your own glass jars to buy bulk food. Do you shop at a place like that? Last I looked, lots of things are sold in plastic, and I am sure we all buy them. Ricotta, cream cheese, spreadable butter, yogurts, peanut butter. Sliced bread in plastic sleeves, along with milk in plastic jugs. Rice in plastic bags. Meat on trays with plastic wrapping. If the food is sold that way, I fail to get the importance of glass for food storage, other than for the environmental impact.

• claudia valentine
    4 months ago

One of those bring your own jar stores has sprung up in the town where our daughter lives. I think that these are largely a feel good kind of thing for people who are aware that they should do differently and also have the disposable income to shop like this The real truth is that a lot the stuff that you can put in to a jar at that store is stuff that you really should think twice about using in the first place. What most of us really need to do is to rethink the needs or expectations that we have about what is useful and really needed. Until we take an honest look at ourselves, we will only be doing the same thing in a different way, just spinning our wheels and going no where. What the mass of people do in the world is what makes the most difference. Unless these practices are brought to the masses they will remain the playground for those who are both aware and have money to buy like that and will have no impact on our consuming habits or reduce our carbon footprint. It is mostly feel good green washing, and it sells.

But the containers! You cant beat those canning jars. My mom started using then in her old age. She had lots of them because she kept a big garden and she canned. I did not understant why she did that until I got old, also, and just started doing the same. The wisdom of age came to make me realize how wonderful they are. As the canning season approaches, I will save a few other jars to use until my canned foods get used. They are the best, as are my summer tomatoes all canned up. Nothing meets the quality of my canned tomatoes or my assortment of canning jars.

• claudia valentine
    4 months ago

sherry, one thing that we can use more of are reusable produce bags. I have sewn some for myself and manage to use them most of the time. I am not perfect but do try to NOT use the plastic film produce bags when I have my own reusables with me.

• Fun2BHere
    4 months ago

@Elmer J Fudd, I had to laugh at your attitude towards putting food waste in with the green waste because I admit I haven’t been 100% compliant with the practice. I don’t have much food waste, but because I fear an infestation of rodents or cockroaches drawn to the food waste, I keep it in the refrigerator or freezer until trash pick-up day, then add it to the green waste container.

nicole___ thanked Fun2BHere
  • plllog
    4 months ago

Claudia, you make a good point about greenwashing, but some people, especially younger ones, are trying to find practices that fit their beliefs. ”I have a good jar. Why can't I refill it?” is something I heard a lot when it was illegal to refill, and I get the point where having to use a plastic bag or container to use bulk bins to check out and then empty into pantry jars feels stupid—though I have sympathy for the safety officer trying to manage the cleanliness (and admired one ranking official decades ago who declared he'd only order plastic bags for the bread if there was even an inkling that germs were spread by the naked loaves—it's the handling of scoops, dials, handles and lids which are the problem with bulk ingredients, AFIK.) In the whole never plastic, bring your own jars world, it's not reallly about such small drops filling a world size bucket of desired change. It's about choosing ways of living that align with one's values.

For myself, for instance, I've been preferring to buy organics for decades because I want to encourage sustainable farming and because they're not so heavily culled, and look more like real food than movie props. Sometimes, they also taste better, probably from not being picked too early. I'm under no delusions that soulless agribusiness is going to turn around on my choices, but I like doing my part to support those trying to do better. OTOH, I put some of my my organic produce in plastic bags because they keep better that way... I do check the kinds of plastic I use to store food, and am watchful of heat and acid, but unless you're growing most of your own, as you said, plastic is unavoidable, and it's not my issue. Plus, when it shatters, it's much safer than glass...

Re the green waste, I haven't had trouble with critters, though occasionally insects. My bins are outside and away from the house, however. Most of my food waste is vegetative, and has been going in my green bin since they started the composting program, a long time ago. I've tried saving trimmings for stock, but haven't found the results worthwhile. Most of an artichoke is waste. And bulky. But I love that now bones, small amounts of fat, and shells and paper napkins and all can go right in! Sorting the food waste was icky. Putting food waste in the kitchen bin was icky. Putting it all in the bucket, carrying it to the green bin, and sending it off to the composter, is so much nicer! And the compost is good, too.

nicole___ thanked plllog
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 months ago

2 bits of info for you community composting advocates....

- I've read that a growing number of communities, adequate space for composting yards isn't always available. And some have found difficulty finding enough interested users for thecompost and the result is they send much of it to landfills

-My pest control technician has said his company services a local compost processor to the tune of two days per week. He's said that 5 man days wouldn't be enough for all the rats there.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 months ago

Fun2Be, you do more than I'm willing to do. I don't want garbage in the fridge or in the freezer. Our pickup service co says food waste must go directly into yard waste, no plastic bags should be used. Nope, not gonna do that.

• Judi
    4 months ago

Elmer, sounds like community education is needed to inform citizens of availability and benefits of use.

As for the rats, someone needs to do a better job of compost management.

nicole___ thanked Judi
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 months ago

How will "education" solve the problem of excessive industrial level production of compost beyond what can be used?

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 months ago

Someone on here would argue that the sky is green not blue on a sunny day.

I wish we had compost again. The Botanical Gardens used to have a place that the city and landscape companies dropped leaves and chipped limbs. On Saturday you could get them to load a pick up truck load of leaf mulch for only a $5 donation. It was wonderful. I cannot remember why they stopped.

nicole___ thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • plllog
    4 months ago

Around here it's used on public landscaping, but available to customers for ”free” to pick up as part of their trash fee. Education on availablity and how/when best to use it would expand the general use, but I don't think we have any going begging.

nicole___ thanked plllog
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 months ago

Pilog, few areas have enough public landscaping to absorb the weekly mountains of collected green waste getting composted. Especially not cold winter areas. That's what I'd read.

• plllog
    4 months ago

Hm.... I would have thought there would be equally less yard waste in colder climates, but I've barely visited the cold, and never lived there, so I wouldn't actually know. On a busy week, my indoor to be composted bucket—about a gallon, I'd guess—will get full twice including the napkins and other eligible paper. The green bin is something like 80 gallons and is at least half filled with yard waste weekly, so the food waste is pretty minimal in comparison. And because the food comes mostly trimmed (unlike home grown), except for edible leafy stems and protective ones, like on cauliflower.

They also compost manure (separate bins and processing). I'd think there would be proportionately more of that than green, if you have a couple of horses. Whatever it is, although they pick through the mixed recycling for the ”good stuff” because people recycle more altogether if they don't have to separate, and pickup of mixed is much less labor, so the scraps go to landfill as bulk dry fill, the composting program is primarily to keep organic (carbon based, not necessarily carbon based fertilizer) waste out of landfills altogether, where it creates too much uncontrolled methane. The garden use is just a lovely byproduct. I think the composting and managing the methane is the important part, in and of itself. But that might be different elsewhere.

• Fun2BHere
    4 months ago

@Elmer J Fudd, As I said, I don’t have much food waste, so I have a designated tightly sealed container that holds what I do have in the refrigerator if it’s all vegetative or the freezer if there are animal products included. It’s easy enough to empty that container into the green waste right before I wheel the bin to the curb. My bins are kept in the garage, so I would never put anything in them that would attract undesirable critters until the bins are on the way to the curb.

I can’t even imagine how many critters exist at a commercial waste facility.

• beesneeds
    4 months ago

I have a lot of different stuff we put cooked into. Some saved carryout containers, lunchmeat containers- recycled plastic. We don't put hot stuff or heat stuff in those. Sistema plastic that can be reheated gets some leftovers for lunches. Freezer storage containers and restaurant tubs- those are mostly for big stuff or freezing small portions of stocks, dry beans, fruit slurries. I've got silicone covers and shower cap covers for things, glass covered dishes. Canning jars, recycled jars and bottles. I do some freezer prepping, so vacuum sealing bags get used too sometimes for cooked stuff.