SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callash

Considering home purchase - how can we refresh the look?

callash
4 months ago

We're considering a home purchase but the interior is somewhat dated and would love advice on how to give it a refresh without a total remodel as it's already near the top of our range. It was built in 2002 so not very old, but I'm struggling with the following:

• Banisters with stepdown leading into the family room - is there a way to modernize the banisters or should we remove and make it a step-down all the way across?
  • Banisters up the stairs - any before/after examples of how to modernize? My mind always goes to gray/white/dark tones but with warm wood floors I imagine something like black spindles isn't a great option.
  • Lack of a formal dining room - the living/dining room are open layout and I'm not sure how to make the dining area feel elegant and separate.
  • Warm wood floors - without completely redoing them, is there a way to make them any darker? I've heard staining is an option but quite laborious. I'm just not sure how to design with them as my preference is dark wood.

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to design so appreciate any examples or advice!

Comments (15)