SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Christmas Gifts on demand and why does ___ look like that. Very long.

palimpsest
4 months ago

Part I:

I work in an office and each year the staff buys the boss a Christmas gift, they buy me a small gift and I have been giving the same gift to everybody for the last 25 plus years. I work there one day a week, and no longer work with everybody.

Last year as usual I bought the identical gift for everybody, and that included two people I work with every week, one for 28 years, one for 17; the boss, who I see briefly once a month or so; a long time staff member who I saw two times the entire year; a staff member there less than a year who left immediately after the holiday; another staff member I only met once; and the boss's wife, who was insulted that the year before I included her with her husband, because she works there (rarely when I am there and she should have gotten her "own" gift because she "works there too") .

Yes it's one of those workplaces. It used to be a smaller group of long-term employees who got along with each other (except maybe the boss). And now there are a couple long-term hold-outs, three of whom are more or less planning their exit strategies, a couple people in revolving door positions who are perfectly nice, but don't need this job in particular, and could leave any time they get annoyed enough, and at least one person who has poisoned the office environment, whom no one likes (staff or clientele alike) and likes no one.

So my gift has gotten more and more expensive and this year I thought, "Last year I gave the same thing to two people I saw once or twice, one of whom I didn't know at all, two people who were there less than a year and left after the holiday, and one person I do not like at all. I am not doing that again"

So this year has been a series of mishaps. I found a set of six perfectly nice gifts for everyone but the two people I work most closely with (and for decades). They are not as nice as I would normally give, but nice.

They came without individual gift boxes. I ordered gift boxes online, and they never got delivered or they got stolen. Still dealing with that. I ordered more gift boxes. They are supposed to be here by the Thursday before Christmas and of course I would need them the Friday before at the latest.

I ordered the "nicer" ornaments for the two people I work closely with from Etsy (not my usual source) . They came without boxes. They are nice looking but the size of my finger. I ordered two others. They are okay, I don't like them much, so those to people will get two things each. I don't like all that much. I still don't have boxes.

I really should have just bought the same thing for everybody, spent the same amount of money on everybody, it would have been much less of a hassle.

Part II:

Since I didn't get boxes (which I used to wrap creatively and in a way that the box could be used as a long-term storage box), I thought "I will just buy little gift bags" Easier said than done. I found some nice looking sturdy small gift bags. --$8 a piece--. I really don't want to spend $60 on gift bags. So I went to the Dollar Store in my neighborhood, and they had nice sturdy gift bags for $1-2 a piece. Each more hideous than the next. How is baby blue a good predominant color for a Christmas gift bag.

This is the second part of my title. There is definitely a difference in printing quality between the $1 bag and the $8 bag. But they are the same thing. The manufacturing process is the same the paper weight is the same. Does the slight quality upgrade of the physical surface of the bag warrant an 8 fold price increase?

But my bigger question is: "Is this bag cheaper because it is so ugly, or is it so ugly because it is cheap?" In other words is it ugly because that is what people shopping at that price point really like? Or is it just what they are stuck with. I can't help but think it would be a little bit of both.

Part III:

In my other workplace we do a Secret Santa/Pollyanna gift exchange, excluding the two office assistants/secretaries for whom a monetary gift is collected. I should note that for many many years, the evening office assistant who is only there a couple nights a week for a few hours each got Zip. Finally the people who worked at night said that she should get something too. And some people who worked at night only worked with her. We also pay their way when we go out twice a year as an office.

Anyway, most of the people who work there now think the monetary gift for the full time daytime assistant secretary is extortion. She has never done for years much except answer the phone. With changing technology to computerized everything, she has no pulling or filing of paperwork. She does not stock supplies. She does not make copies. She used to make copies for various people, now that is officially "Not her job" and she is allowed to tell you everything is "not her job". She answers the phone, she eats, she looks at things on the computer, she listens to radio talk shows and cackles for about 7 hours a day. She may spend about one hour a day total answering the phone or ordering supplies, if someone tells her that something is running low, it's no longer her job to check on any stock. She assigns certain types of patients to the students, I don't really think it's an hour a day anymore.

We got a friendly reminder about the gift because I guess the contributions are not flowing in. Some texting went around that people do Not really want to give any money but we are essentially blackmailed into it. It's anonymous, but there is an envelope to put it in and it's guaranteed that the envelope gets checked and she knows exactly who put what in when. And they will be treated accordingly. She still won't do anything for anybody, but she won't be quite as rude if you pony up some cash. One person emailed back to the supervisor who sent the friendly reminder, basically telling her to get lost, she wasn't giving a gift to someone who does nothing. We'll see how that goes. The people who are there full time are all succumbing to the blackmail.

Comments (42)

• Jilly
    4 months ago

This sounds incredibly stressful, I feel for you.

Do these places have Christmas parties? I’d like to be a fly on the wall if so. :D

palimpsest thanked Jilly
  • Ally De
    4 months ago

Ah yes, the politics around holidays in the office. Good times. :-/

I work for a large employer and so there are multiple holiday parties, each with their own brand of agony. Nothing quite inspires the holiday spirit like "mandatory, forced fun - you WILL go and you WILL pretend to like it!"

palimpsest thanked Ally De
  • Related Discussions

Why does it look like this sugar maple is dying?

Q

Comments (77)
    Just for the sake of chronicling this experience, I ended up spraying right after my last reply. It took about 3 mins and exactly 1 gallon to do all the trees and some shrubs. The wind was so calm and I knew it was my only chance. It rains here about once or twice a month yet it will happen when i need it to stay dry. It looks like some light sprinkles now.
    ...See More

Remember the Guitars?Now, What About Golf for A Christmas Gift?

Q

Comments (12)
    What is it about fishing that makes it so wonderful? I bet I could write a book (literally-- no pun intended) on this one question. When I'm on the water, every emotion comes into play-- The anticipation of the day when I'm leaving the boat ramp-- will it be a nice day? Will I be able to pattern the fish and catch "the big one"? Sitting there with a few dozen other boats, waiting for "blast off", the adrenaline building up, and then your number comes up, and the throttle stick gets jammed forward. In an instant, you're going across the lake at 60 miles an hour. It's the closest thing to flying that there is! At the same time, looking around at your surroundings, just enjoying the absolute beauty of it all, feeling the warmth of the morning sun, thanking God that you're alive to appreciate this!! Once you get to your "spot", (and this includes fishing from shore, as well) there's the aniticpation of the bite-- a complete paradox of feelings-- you're waiting for that first "tap tap tap" on the end of your line signaling that age old instinctive battle of life, but at the same time it's a very calm, peaceful time, when it's easy to get lost in yourself-- almost like a focused meditation. Then there's the hit, and the battle's on-- you've got a milliion things going thru your mind, all focused on that fish at the other end-- Is the knot on the lure going to hold? I hope the line isn't too chaffed? Will he measure? Is it a "PIG"? Then, depending on whether YOU win, or the FISH wins, it's either complete elation, or frustration, and either way, it's time to do it all over again. Also, either way, you feel a very special connection with nature that's indescribeable. There's also times when God sends you very special gifts, that have nothing to do with fishing. Things like a beautiful sunrise over the water, as the mist is rising in the new light. Or the time a couple of ducklings decided they wanted to follow me for a couple of hours. Or the best one-- as I was silently going along the edge of the lake one morning on the trolling motor, I came around a point, and there was a doe and her fawn taking a morning drink, and as I came around the point, the doe picked her head up completely startled and I'm sure, wondering how the heck I could have snuck up on them so quietly! but the best part was that once she realised there was nothing to fear from me, she and her fawn went back to their "breakfast", as though I wasn't even there. An absolutely beautiful sight. This is only beginning to touch on what I love about fishing, and why it's very literally what I live for.
    ...See More

Christmas gifts ordeal

Q

Comments (35)
    OMG, that's so silly, but it's not funny. My older sister would do that. She would watch what everyone else got and compare it in her head. Later, she would call me and say, can you believe he only spent $xx on me and $xx on so and so. I didn't care about that. It didn't matter to me if I liked what I got, and I always did. I also NEVER gave anyone a list. I don't even remember writing letters to Santa. I think the only year I was disappointed was when my parent's were having financial problems and I got pencils & erasers in my stocking. No candy. I was about 9. With my kids, I used to spend equal amounts on them but stopped that several years ago. It was silly. I get them things they are into and some are more expensive than others. It's not a contest and like I said, I've tried to put more emphasis on giving than receiving.
    ...See More

Some woman didn't like her Christmas gift from hubby--now it's on

Q

Comments (32)
    Well -- I imagine that they had an interesting Christmas gift-opening session (wonder if anyone else was there)! LOL! Reminds me of the time my boyfriend's mother (now my mother in law) gave me a fertility doll for Xmas. Opened the present in front of some of his relatives who were meeting me for the first time that day. AWK-WARD. (MIL didn't do it to be provocative; she bought it during a trip to Morocco because she thought it was interesting. Yeah boy.)
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Well in the private office, the parties used to be fun, when we were younger and before he married his second wife. In the institutional setting, most of us like each other fine, but some people don't go, and generally there is a little bit of jockeying for position regarding who sits next to whom. I will probably sit next to the woman who is not contributing to the extortion fund this year.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I am just disappointed in the gifts I am giving the office this year. I really don't care about getting gifts at all. But a couple of people always say my regular gift is the thing they look forward to every year, and I feel like this year is a let down.

• maddielee
    4 months ago

I may be able to help with your gift container. Is there a Michaels near you?

I keep a supply of these in white. Add tissue paper appropriate to the occasion, a tag and bow on the handle.

This price is for 13 bags.

palimpsest thanked maddielee
  • dedtired
    4 months ago

Ah, one of the many reasons I am happy to be retired. I received ( and gave) so many gifts over the years and I can only think of one that I still have. One of my first jobs was at a small investment bank. There was plenty of money to,throw around. The partners bought many somewhat extravagent gifts. They put all of them in the meeting room. Numbers were pulled and whoever’s number was picked got to go into the meeting room and choose a gift. We guessed that the numbers went by how long you had been employed. I got a large blue and white vase . Part of the sticker was still on it and I could see it came from Bloomingdales. I still have it on my porch. I remember riding home on the train carrying it.

Anyway, the whole office gift thing is ridiculous and puts pressure on everyone. I most appreciated my year end bonus.

• dedtired
    4 months ago

And I want to add that you are very thoughtful, Pal, to put so much thought into your gifts.

palimpsest thanked dedtired
  • blfenton
    4 months ago

When I worked we had a secret Santa and each department did their own. Aside from that I didn't give gifts to anyone including my assistant and certainly not to my boss. They didn't pay me enough to do so. Call me Scrooge but I actually can't believe that people do this.

palimpsest thanked blfenton
  • deegw
    4 months ago

Pal, give the nicest combo of bag and ornament to the people who are appreciative and don't fret about the rest.

I think part of the reason that some of the end product at places like $ store are so terrible (and so cheap) is because they don't put any effort or $ into the design of the products. If a gift bag has a handle and a picture of Santa then it's all good.

palimpsest thanked deegw
  • Kswl
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I would bow out of ALL group gifts and give everyone a card announcing your donation of X dollars to (insert worthy, workplace related cause here) in honor of the stellar staff with whom you have the privilege to work.

If you have special friends who deserve a separate gift, either have them sent directly to the recipients or meet them for a drink privately and give them there. I can’t stand office politics and refuse to be extorted.

palimpsest thanked Kswl
  • nicole___
    4 months ago

Your gifts and the thought your putting into them...how nice and thoughtful of you. That's VERY stressful. Trying to keep up the quality of gift giving...very difficult. I did buy generic gift bags at the Dollar Tree to keep on hand. The DT ones I believe are left over stock they get discounted, hence the ugly blue X-mas bags. I'm just happy to spend the money on the gift, not the bag. :0)

palimpsest thanked nicole___
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 months ago

Wow, this nonsense is, to me, a ('nother) sign of bad management. So many opportunities for ill will.

I'm glad I have never been in this situation. Most of my career was for large firms where the *only* thing that happened was a holiday party, usually entirely optional (having 35,000 employees helps with that.) No gift giving in any direction. Bonuses in investment banking far exceed salaries so it's an entirely different culture and no one is raising funds to compensate employees even in support positions.

Even now at our small firm none of this occurs. We have an annual party in January (when calendars are clearer). It is not seated and often involves an activity. We all like each other, so that helps.

Does everyone in your position give these gifts and spend about what you do? If so, you are stuck. I am sure your standards are too high, though, and everyone will love what you have chosen.

But my bigger question is: "Is this bag cheaper because it is so ugly, or is it so ugly because it is cheap?" In other words is it ugly because that is what people shopping at that price point really like? Or is it just what they are stuck with. I can't help but think it would be a little bit of both.

I have often wondered about this very thing. It had to have been designed by someone, it doesn't just appear. And people in design have pretty good taste, I think. Target is one of the rare places where I see tasteful things that are also inexpensive.

palimpsest thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • roarah
    4 months ago

I love Micheal's burlap sacks and brown paper small gift bags and a set of holiday stamps or ribbons and a glue gun used to embellish them. I am able to make affordable and cute gift bags for my thirty students to give their parents gifts in for just cents per person.

palimpsest thanked roarah
  • palimpsest
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I never really minded buying the gifts for the private office. When I started it was 5 people excluding myself and everyone but me and the boss, who were just starting, were long time employees. Now it's eight, and the overall culture has changed.

I still don't mind doing it, and most of the people appreciate it. But for example, (we had our holiday gathering already, so no one got anything from me yet), I saw one of the employees for the first time in 2023 last Friday, and one of the others for the second time ever. But I don't feel like I can leave them out.

--------

At the institutional place, the giving of the money to the two secretary-assistants has been a long time thing, completely elective, completely open ended as to how much. And historically there were a couple cheapskates in the department who would give $5. (They were also the types who would always short how much they threw in when paying for the dinner. Everybody knew it, everybody just dealt with it). Anyway, they retired, and the whole balance got upset when a new faculty was hired. Her husband works in Manhattan, she is used to North Jersey/NYC prices, and well, she's bougie. She contributed $100 to the pot for the FT secretary the first year she was here, thinking that was probably customary and it really threw the whole ecological balance out of whack. And really it is a matter of the secretary doing less, and less, and less, and less as time goes by. She's coasting to retirement. And it's a union job. I can't complain about having a union job myself, it has it's benefits and protections. But it also protects people like this who get a paycheck for doing absolutely nothing except showing up in the morning. You would almost have to murder someone and defile the corpse publicly to get fired from a job in her position.

------

I think part of the esthetic thing with the bags and gift paper and such is Where it is designed. I think a lot of the better looking stuff is designed in America although it may be produced overseas, while the ugly looking stuff is designed and produced in a different culture. Something that can be sold at a fractional price like this probably has no part of the process at all taking place in America.

• Bunny
    4 months ago

The gift-giving thing in your office is nuts. I'd want to opt out, but I suspect you're in too deep for that now.

"Is this bag cheaper because it is so ugly, or is it so ugly because it is cheap?"

I've thought about this a lot, mostly when it comes to colors used in clothes. Ugly colors like pale blue and peach and bandaid or lurid brights. Is that dye less expensive? Same with ugly house colors, especially siding/trim combos. They could have had nice colors for the same price.

palimpsest thanked Bunny
  • palimpsest
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Here is something that is part of my dilemma and it is probably something very foreign to most people in this forum.

I do not own a car. I have not owned a car in about 30 years. I used to drive at least a few times a year when my parents were alive, but I have not driven, not once, since sometime in 2018. And now I am at a point where I think it would be a bad idea for me to drive in the urban environment I live in. I do keep a driver's license. My SO has not had a drivers license in 28 years.

This is usually not a problem. But Philadelphia is not quite Manhattan. The Michael's near me has closed. The Target near me has closed. The nearest Michaels and the nearest big Target are a couple miles away. I walk a couple miles a day anyway, it's not the walking. But they are not particularly convenient to any single mode of public transport, and I don't feel like taking two different modes of public transport or walking four miles round trip to get a few boxes. It would be a much better use of my time to just buy the $8 ones.

Probably 350 days a year not driving has no negative effect on my life. Maybe 15 days a year it is a miserable PITA. This is one of those things that would be a non-issue if I were still a car owner.

• deegw
    4 months ago

How is the Uber/Lyft situation in Philadelphia? That might be an option for the days a vehicle would come in handy. And still cheaper than parking, insurance and gas. I know that in some places it's difficult to find rides or the drivers are sketchy.

palimpsest thanked deegw
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    4 months ago

Lots of good suggestions here. One personal note, though. I have very dear friends (went through school with the wife) who send a card saying a donation was made in my honor to one of their charities. We stopped exhchanging gifts when we graduated from college which was almost 50 years ago. We still keep in close touch and get together when we can now that we live in different states. I am always a bit put off by their donation card because we no longer exchange gifts, because it is not a charity I would choose to give to, and because...what is the point? They get their deduction and I guess they feel good about it, but it seems a bit self-serving to me. That may sound unfair, but they really could just make their donation without attaching my name and the names of many others, I presume, in any way. Since they are on the board of said charity, it would be easy for them to support it without making such a point of it to us. I will not, however, let them know that I wish they would stop. They are kind people and I would never do anything to hurt their feelings.

Pal, I am sure your colleagues will be enormously pleased with your gifts. It is very generous of you and you put so much thought into everything you do. I hope you have a lovely holiday celebration and season.

ps. I do feel appropriately guilty about my feelings on this subject.

palimpsest thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 months ago

I see your point, Cyn.

• Ally De
    4 months ago

I'm sorry Palimpsest. It's clear you started it out of the kindness of your heart, and now it's taken on a life of its own a bit. The not driving thing does complicate it too. I love some of the gift bag ideas above, but again you need to see those things to know if they are nice, or look like left-over rejects from the Dollar Store.

palimpsest thanked Ally De
  • nini804
    4 months ago

I know this is such a pain for you to deal with, Pal, but I have to tell you I have been greatly entertained by this post and your musings! Sounds like your office could be a TV show!

palimpsest thanked nini804
  • moosemac
    4 months ago

I admire Pal for their dedication and creativity in office gift giving.

As an employer, we discourage gift exchanges in the work environment because of the potential drama it can cause. If people want to exchange gifts outside of work that is fine. We host a party for our employees. It is held in a casual restaurant that has great food. There are lots of games and prizes and we try to make sure everyone wins something. We try very hard to make the holidays stress free for our employees and at the same time strengthen team building.

palimpsest thanked moosemac
  • Fun2BHere
    4 months ago

House Shaped Box

Another choice, but unsure about the size.

THIS

palimpsest thanked Fun2BHere
  • Funkyart
    4 months ago

My experience with gift bags is that the better quality last MUCH longer and are much more "gift worthy"... last year and the year before I said I would *never* buy another Target bag. They always fall apart ... but yes, I did get some more again this year lol.

I like Caspari bags but the designs are limited. I also got some Rifle Paper gift bags this year and they seem pretty good though I haven't actually filled them yet.

I also do not drive and so I usually order Caspari direct but they also carry them on Am-z-n and my local Wegmans usually has a few designs. These are bags that have been reused by my entire family for the last 4 yr ... and the non-holiday floral bags exchange hands many times through the year. Yeah, they cost about $6 but with that kind of reuse capacity, I don't care.

As for your gifts to coworkers, I am sure they are appreciated no matter how you wrap and deliver them! I am curious (as I am still assembling gifts for my coworkers) what is your standard gift for all?

The office politics you describe are disturbing ... I haven't experienced anything like it. All I can do is say I am sorry you have to deal with it!

palimpsest thanked Funkyart
  • eld6161
    4 months ago

Pal, do all these people give you something too? If so, this might be your way out. Talk to each privately that the situation has changed and is just not manageable. They might be relieved to opt out too.

I like the worker who opted out and expressed clearly why.

It seems like what started out as manageable and fun turned into something entirely different.

Is your job at stake if you don’t continue?

It gives me a headache thinking about you giving gifts to do many people that you don’t see or even know well.

Then, I feel for you caring so much about the gift bag. From your descriptions of these people, I’m guessing they would not care about the bag.

There are always people who go the extra mile, Pal surpass it!

What would happen if you just stopped?

palimpsest thanked eld6161
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 months ago

What a dilemma - my workplace makes such things entirely optional, and no grief is given for not participating, and I rarely do. I think it helps that it's a very relaxed workplace, and I'm old enough to be a parent, or even grandparent to most of my coworkers - they give me lots of leeway for being a geezer 😄

FWIW, Michaels and Joann Fabrics have online ordering and delivery. Same with Walmart and Target, both of which will ship your order same day if you get it in early enough.

• Arapaho-Rd
    4 months ago

Pal, reading this actually brought on a physical reaction in me to this type of office environment, one I lived and it almost did me in. Mtn hit the nail on the head. Poor management, bad management, people in managerial positions that they have no business being in. It sounds like a no win situation - someone isn't going to like something which in the spirit of Christmas and gift-giving is ridiculous. The time and effort you are putting in along with all the angst and caring to do the right thing is commendable but my guess won't be appreciated. So it's not perfect this year, it's the thought that counts. You tried your best. Feel good about the person you are and know that these characters are not worth fretting over.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    4 months ago

In answer to various questions:

I give the one office hand blown Christmas tree ornaments. My criteria over the years has been that the glass loop has to be part of the ornament, no metal cap inserted.

In general this thing has gotten relatively more expensive, outstripping inflation a little bit, and the problem is that I have been doing it for so long, that the less expensive ones were fine 20 years ago, but there is a sameness to those, so what I have been giving over time has been going up a bit in quality and more than a little bit in price. And I want them all to be the same (except for my boss and his wife, one of them is different).

My usual local source has stopped getting really nice ones because he has to charge too much (and he also gets in a larger stock of what he calls ugly gimmicky ornaments because they do sell. Plastic sexy mermen and stuff like that :-I )

My usual online source, you either have to jump on them Immediately when the catalog comes or the less expensive ones sell out, and then you are looking at $35-40 each and up. Or, wait until after the holidays and buy them discounted. I did not do that last January because I was not sure I would still be working there this December.

-----

This is not a corporate environment. Working in a smallish clinical environment is completely different from a corporate environment it sounds like, and there are a lot of things that are more of a microcosm with less external controls than a department in a corporate environment may have. Personalities and politics and toxicities can loom large.

-----

In the academic environment there is usually no regular gift giving except for the cash to the secretary. Every once in a while someone will set up a Secret Santa/Pollyanna and people will participate in that. This year someone did, and it was someone who is very hard to say no to. So people did it. It was fine, it's only one gift and you had to give a list. I lucked out I got someone I have known for years and is easy. Stuff like this does not bother me that much.

I think the money thing is trashy. I always have, and it's even worse because the individual doesn't deserve it.

------

In the office where I give the ornaments, we get bonuses and the boss takes us out to dinner once a year. It's a command performance, but it used to be fun before the 2nd wife came on the scene. It's still relatively easy to get through. The staff chip in and buy the boss a pretty nice present, and they chip in and buy me something small and useful. I am spending more on them than they are on me. That's fine, I have never thought that was the point.

____

I did work in an office where the boss might take the staff out or might not, never gave any bonuses even though she was making money hand over fist from everyone else's efforts and sometimes they would try to have a gift exchange. I was usually able to opt out because I was only there once a week.

However, since I live with a former pastry chef, I did take in a bunch of Christmas cookies for the first couple years I worked there. One year something happened and my SO was not able to do a big production baking.

The boss in that office said in January "Hey I think you owe the office some cookies, (haha) what happened?" Except that she was totally serious. She wanted those cookies. I could bring them for Valentine's day or something. Well, that was the end of that, I never did that again.

The odd thing is, that more than once acquaintance has said things like this over the years. We have done things over and over without any reciprocation at all (and with none necessarily expected) and then one year it doesn't happen and we get called out for not doing what is expected.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    4 months ago

One other thing about deliveries. I get nothing delivered to my front door. Everything gets stolen. There is a torn open Amazon box on my block every day. There are doorbell camera shots of people stealing packages and messages to people "I found your empty box/your ripped open box of stuff in front of my house" on Facebook every day. I have to get everything either delivered to my workplace where I am only once a week, or to SO's workplace. And at that workplace there are some rumblings that they will no longer be able to receive personal packages because the volume is so great. Because anyone who lives in a non-doorman building, or in a building with a completely secured mailroom is dealing with the same issues of porch piracy.

• Kswl
    4 months ago

"Is this bag cheaper because it is so ugly, or is it so ugly because it is cheap?"

I have the same question about quilts. They are usually finely crafted and represent many hours of work, and yet the.y are almost always ugly— with hideous colors and fabrics. A lot of quilting fabric is purchased in bulk in cut squares and there is a very wide variety of fabrics contained in a single bundle. The fabric is not expensive, certainly not when compared to the value of the quilter’s time. So why then do they use the green / orange / black floral squares and the yellow / purple / brown prints? Are they so thrifty they want to use every scrap of material in the bundle? Are they color blind? Is the fabric cheap because they are the ugly patterns no one bought? Or is cheap fabric just plug ugly?

All my life I have seen quilts for sale at shops and craft fairs and have been given them by well meaning relatives I love dearly and I just can’t fathom it. ”Ugly quilt” should be an oxymorom.

Sorry Pal…I feel your pain 😎 I stock up on plain brown kraft paper gift bags wherever I see them on sale and mark the (seasonal) occasion with the choice of ribbon.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Yes my mother once won an afghan that was dayglo orange, kelly green and variegated brown and white.

I am holding out for boxes mostly because the people with the largest number of ornaments say they store them in the boxes with the year written on them

• Funkyart
    4 months ago

That's sweet, Pal -- I am glad your coworkers appreciate them so much! It would make me want to put in a little extra effort also.

• Funkyart
    4 months ago

Have you tried the Paper Source?

• teeda
    4 months ago

I can only imagine the frustration you must be feeling Pal. I admire you continuing to recognize your co-workers at the holidays for so many years. I also feel there has been a steady decline in common courtesy in our society, so I'm not surprised you're seeing these negative changes in the staff. I'm trying to adjust to people who are either oblivious or just plain inconsiderate. I see it in the grocery stores, on the roads, in my personal life when emails/calls/texts are randomly ignored or through the ways family members (not my immediate family) seem to assume that some relatives exist to handle all the heavy lifting when life events occur. But I believe you are someone with very high personal standards and probably very uncomfortable presenting anyone with something cheap or slipshod. So for this year, at least, I think you should just do the best you are comfortable with and then reconsider in the new year. I will also add, though, that I bet people appreciate your kindness and generosity more than you know or they are probably able to express.

ETA: Maybe we should start a separate thread on gift wrap tips/ideas?

palimpsest thanked teeda
  • ratherbesewing
    4 months ago

The Dollar Store has inexpensive gift bags. Did I read it right that you gift your boss a gift too? I guess it’s too late for this year, but start telling people this year (and forward) gift bonanza will be your last.

palimpsest thanked ratherbesewing
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 months ago

Dollar tree does have nice gift bags but the good ones go fast.

They are not as nice as the ones I might find at Marshalls, some of them anyway, and those go fast too..

palimpsest thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • barncatz
    4 months ago

I wish I had a creative idea for eiither your box or cackling receptionist extortion dilemma but I don't. So, I'll share some invaluable advice I once received: make sure all your kitchen lighting is at least 4,000K, LEDs. Hope that helps?

Bless your heart for trying to spread some cheer this month, though.

palimpsest thanked barncatz
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 months ago

Feel good about the person you are

palimpsest thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • palimpsest
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I do want to clarify, that other than the weird situation that for a couple years in a row I ended up buying a gift for someone who was through the revolving door of that position in the office in short order, I really don't mind the gift giving, even then I didn't really mind it.

I was just in a mood this year about those people who, through no fault of their own, I didn't really know because they did not like working there enough to stick around. If they were there at Christmas, they contributed to my gift too.

What I think I am annoyed about right now, is that it really would have just been better to do exactly what I always did, which is buy the same thing for everybody at the same place, that would come in it's own box for free, and be once and done. That, rather than trying to put people in a hierarchy of more deserving or less deserving. I would have saved time and stress, and in all likelihood money, because It would have been done and I would not have been jumping through a bunch of hoops to compensate for how things have played out.

The only person I resent giving a gift to is that single secretary, and Everybody does, except her/our supervisor who for whatever reason thinks she's great.

• Allison0704
    4 months ago

Maybe when you decide to retire the "single secretary" job, you can givce her a lump of coal in a box.

I feel for you, and I can see how they look forward to getting your gift each year. It was a lovely tradition for your to start. That said, I would rather do draw a name or Secret Santa for one than currently go through this each year.

While I have a car, everything is miles away, so I order almost everything. We don't have porch pirates in our area, and we are almost always home to bring in the box(es) when they are delivered. What you have to go through would drive me nuts.

• gardener123
    4 months ago

Pal, I wish you and yours a wonderful holiday season. You are such a good guy, this is all so thoughtful, and I hope giving the gifts at the party brings you good cheer!