SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Remember the Guitars?Now, What About Golf for A Christmas Gift?

cupofkindness
17 years ago

Last year about this time I posted a question about purchasing guitars for my two teenage boys (now 13 and 15) as Christmas gifts and giving them lessons. I received a lot of encouraging responses and I'm happy to report that each of them thoroughly enjoys their guitars, practice just about every day, and take lessons from an older man who they consider to be very cool.

Turning my thoughts to this Christmas, although I'm under a lot of pressure to buy the up and coming NIntendo video gaming system Wii, I'd rather give my sons something like the guitar: something that adds another skill to their life, something that really makes them a better person.

Like on the other thread about teenaged boys, it is hard to find a balance with how they spend their time. Of course, I do not to allow my sons to plop down with their Game Boys for unlimited hours a day; they certainly would do so if they could. They seem to never tire of the Game Boy. But if they finish their homework and chores, and if their grades are good, then they are free to play until bedtime. My sons do well in school and I recognize that they need down time.

But back to golf. My sons have never been more than average athletes in the usual childhood sports: soccer, baseball, and basketball. We never made it to football. Both have asthma and coupled with intensely hot Texas summers, outdoor sports like soccer usually make us miserable. My high school son does fencing four times a week (we are taking about a fairly intense workout), but he isn't very competitive about it and his school's fencing team is rather small, so it isn't as consuming as other high profile sports like football or basketball. My 8th grade son plays "B" level basketball. That's his sport and he could take it or leave it, it's a social thing as much as a physical thing for him.

In terms of their futures, I think that learning golf would serve them well in life: in their careers and as a sport that they could pursue recreationally. Golf seems learnable and enjoyable. As a family, we don't follow ANY sport, let alone golf, so this is rather out of the blue. I'd love my husband to do this with my sons. We view Boy Scouts as a father/son activity, but it's less about their relationship and more about the troop, so golf would be a little different. My husband could also use the exercise.

Do any of you have golfers in your life. Is this something that teenage boys will want to do? What would you recommend to get them started? What sort of clubs should I buy, if any? Or is this just a stupid idea and I should get the Nintendo instead!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

~Cupofkindness

Comments (12)