SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karptonite

Make-up air kit installation issues

Daniel
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

We recently remodeled our kitchen, and had the contractor install a Best range hood along with a make-up air kit. There have now been two problems with the make-up air kit, and before we go any further toward fixing this, I’d like to get more information, if possible. There is probably more detail here than necessary.

The contractor who did our kitchen remodel installs the appliances for the remodel themselves, but (admittedly) did not have much experience with make-up air kits, which most people apparently do not get. They worked along side an electrician for the install, but after it was installed and working, we noticed a fairly loud intermittent but frequent clicking noise (randomly spaced clicking noises every few seconds) from the motor that opened the make-up air damper.

I called the manufacturer who said that was not normal, and they sent a whole replacement kit (important). The contractor replaced the damper (but not the air pressure sensor or the transformer). What he replaced the damper, he said that the replacement damper made the same noise, but that when he rotated it somewhat so that the motor was near the top (instead of sticking out the side of the duct), it stopped making the clicking noise. We were just happy that it seemed to work now without clicking.

Fast forward a few weeks; the wall is now closed up, and we are getting ready to paint, and now the make-up air damper is not opening at all when the hood is on.

I’m no expert, but I checked out few obvious things; the transformer seems to be getting power (it is warm). I swapped out the external part of the pressure switch with the spare (from the first replacement)—no change. I’ve now noticed that both pressure switches seems to make a quiet, but similar, intermittent clicking noise when the hood is on—I’m not sure if that means anything.

I’ll be talking with my contractor about this on Monday, and I’d love to be able to say something beyond ”it just stopped working.” In particular, anything they can do to test for obvious issues before opening up the drywall would probably make everyone happy.

As far as i can tell, this may be the only make-up air kit made, and it seems that most manufacturers use the same parts in their own kits, so I’m hoping someone here has had an experience like this, and can offer some insight. This is such a simple system, in principle—not too much to go wrong, so I’m a bit perplexed.

Below is a photo of the install at the sensor/transformer end. I’d include a photo of the damper, but it is already closed up in the wall.

Comments (3)