SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_412405167

Dormers - Takes the beauty away?

6 months ago

Hello everyone. Trying to get a sense from you all regarding dormers on our garage. Apologies in advance for the long post

Just to give you an idea about our home. It will in a community with $1.5M to $3M price range, quite large lots 2 to 3 acres of land. House will be built by a reasonably well known custom builder who has built homes in this price range. We are in the process of finalizing our plans with Builder's Architect. Architect has done a good job on having a very rough plan with symmetry and balance in mind.

House design is more of French chateau style with Gables on Garages, good slopes on the main part of the house etc. House is will be 4000 square feet plus. We have a court yard kind of entry at the front with two 2car garages on Left and right side of the house. Builder has mentioned that there is space over the garage that is engineered to be a livable space down the line whenever it is finished. Guess 250 Sq feet on each garage. While we may not need the space now, I am sure someone else can make use of that space (gym room, additional office etc) if we decide to sell it at a later point.

To make it really useful, we need to have a Dormer on both garages. With the way things are now with gables etc, the dormers will be off centered and will not be in the middle of the garage. What that means is that we need to place each dormer on the other side of the garages looking out/ not into the court yard.

Have couple of questions on the Dormers.

While I have seen Dormers on much expensive luxury home, sometimes I think it takes away some beauty from the overall look of the house. Also, it can be perceived as more of an added item stuck onto the house than part of it.

Cant decide :-) I agree that personal preferences will vary but trying to see what is everyone's thoughts and opinion?

Comments (69)

• PRO
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

The example home you posted is an Anglo- Caribbean-style or West Indies home currently being built here in SW Florida. It's NOT French. Not even a little French.

Below is how a 'dormer' would be added to the roof area. The pitch of the roof on the dormer has to match the pitch on the roof.

Here are more of these style homes.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/280630620514328754/

• 6 months ago

You already have 8 different roof lines. Let me say that again, 8 different roof lines. Eight. If you want to add overkill to overkill throw on some dormers too.

• Related Discussions

What roses scents take your breath away ?

Q

Comments (49)
    hi, Monarda, Mine came from Pickering which no longer sells it, but it is available on the Hortico site. RU may still carry it, I don't know. It behaves like a climber with long canes. Mine does not have the blind shoots that others have complained about on helpmefind. It is vigorous and thorny. The older canes don't seem to develop the stiffness of say, New Dawn, but it is only about three years now, and it's been moved once when I realized it was going to need more room than its previous spot had. Blooms develop at the end of canes or laterals, if canes are moved horizontally. It develops a lot of bud breaks along bent canes. The blooms are beautiful and fragrant. It is not a small rose as it is about 7 feet tall and still growing. I am going to prune the laterals back a lot after the first flush and see what happens. It is very disease resistant here. I think it would be best grown as a climber with the canes grown laterally. I had no idea what this rose would develop as here. I thought it might be a tall stiff hybrid tea, but it is not that at all. It is a climbing rose. How large it is actually going to be I am not sure. It is not in the best spot now and will probably have to be moved again so it can spread out more than it can now.
    ...See More

Picture of the day *68* Magic Carpet, take me away

Q

Comments (6)
    No no, all the brug blooming pictures are from my 1st season last year. Not even close to having blooms but I am enjoying watching them grow like crazy. Here is another picture of it. The reason I love it too is because of the color differences it shows while opening up all the way. From Magic Carpet Brugmansia From Magic Carpet Brugmansia All Magic Carpet and if you follow the link below the pictures you can see the rest of the growing history of this pretty angel Lucy
    ...See More

Now that's taking advantage of the beautiful weather!

Q

Comments (15)
    Looks lovely! My dds thought it would be such a great idea to get Daddy a hammock, no realizing the overhang can't support it. So now we have a stand that is IN MY WAY all the time! We don't have a large backyard and he hardly ever lies in it. One of the dds does when she visits which isn't often, since she lives several states away. Hey, Glenda, maybe you can sneak over there sometime when he's not home and give it a spin....
    ...See More

2 Santa Take Away Gifts

Q

Comments (7)
    Beautiful work. Love the pearls on white shards.
    ...See More
  • 6 months ago

Thanks everyone. Couple of clarifications

What I meant by "Builders Architect" is that, he is an independent Architect with 30 plus year of experience, been a builder himself before; contracted by the builder (not an inhouse designer or someone within Builders team) so I hope we should be good.

We really like the garages at the front and on both sides of the house. A semi court yard kind of design where garage door face each other and opens to the courtyard. Hence the garages on left and right side of the house.

Agree that it may not be the most efficient design ( extra mud room, hallway etc on the other side too)

Garages will be little oversized garage, but doors will be regular doors not the carriage type that swings open.

Regarding how difficult to take take the cars in and out of the garages, not sure I understand? Are you referring to taking in/out all the cars at the SAME time? We had houses before with garage on one side of the house with side entry from the drive way. No issues. So not sure I understand? Also, there should be close to 40 feet width between both side's garage doors.

Going back to Dormers, I like the idea of placing it in a way not sticking out too much and not facing each other but by placing on the back side side of the garage.

• PRO
    6 months ago

Are you paying the 'architect' or is the builder paying the 'architect'?

Have you verified the architect's license with the state?

• 6 months ago

No separate payment from our side to Architect. It is all part of the total house price.

We haven't verified the license but he has been working with multiple builders, in this field for long etc so we think it is OK.

• 6 months ago

Not sure I understand some earlier comments regarding how difficult to take take the cars in and out of the garages? We had houses with garage on one side of the house with side entry from the drive way. No issues. Also, there should be close to 40 feet width between both side's garage doors.

• PRO
    6 months ago

Without drawings, the communication is vague.

• 6 months ago

I can....once we have the second floor and elevation plan drawn. As we speak, we are making some changes to first floor study and wine bar. Changes never ends :-)

• 6 months ago

Thersa I am also in Fl. When I built my builder told me we could use his independent architect. Guess what? He was not an architect. He was a CAD designer and what he came up with showed he didnt have a clue what good design was. Even though all the ”good” builders used him.

Basically the way your guy is doing the design makes me question if he is licensed. Look up architectrunnerguy here on these forums to see how it should be done.

• 6 months ago

Also builder designers will do what makes it easiest for the builder. Not necessarily what will live best for you. Ask me how I know

• 6 months ago

I think the concern about the garages is that you may end up backing out the driveway due to insufficient space to turn — particularly for the two spaces closest to the front door. (Think small parking lot.) To my mind, it would be easier if there was sufficient space to back out past the front door so you could then turn to head out the driveway. Perhaps your plans have that space, but I can’t tell from here. § Good luck with your project.

• 6 months ago

Theresa, just so you know what you're dealing with: your architect works for your builder. That means, he is accepting input from the builder that you may not know about. That's all you need to know.

Personally, I would never want that, unless buying in a tract development and you can see what you're getting.

But for a home being built from scratch at your expense? No way.

My family is building a home (after big fire in SoCal), and our architect Zooms with us making changes to the floorplan and roofline, and cabinets, and expanding windows, and making a turret and a loft when we wanted to see that... in real time. That means, he shows us on our screen at home, what it would like like that way. He can put us inside the house (looking out each window) or show cross-sections in any direction, and measure with his tools, etc.

You are getting nothing like that.

To have a 2 acre lot (I'm jealous! a little bit), and not do it justice with a home that's designed for your needs, is a real shame, considering all the work and expense you're going to.

You don't have elevations? I agree with the architects above that is not right.

Even our first architect (who was inferior to our current architect) designed the house in 3D and could show us elevations along with floorplan.

And another little fyi, your architect should be so well versed in design that he ought to be telling you whether a dormer is appropriate for the style of house he is designing (and that you agreed to). He ought to be educating you as to the right choice for reasons he provides.

Theresa M thanked Mrs. S
  • 6 months ago

It doesn't seem good that you do not pay your architect separately from your builder. Please look them up to see if they are licensed. https://www.ncarb.org/get-licensed/state-licensing-boards/architect-lookup

Theresa M thanked Kendrah
  • 6 months ago

The issue is your process. You have no one looking out for you. While you may be giving input at the end of the day the "architect" will take his orders from the guy cutting him the check, period. The entire process and the fact that he is doing this project piecemeal is a major red flag to me that he is a designer and not an architect at all. You do you but I suspect you will be disappointed in the end of you continue this road.

Theresa M thanked millworkman
  • 6 months ago

The roof lines are important to the overall look of the house. I would not add front facing dormers to this roof.

• 6 months ago

" The roof lines are important to the overall look of the house. I would not add front facing dormers to this roof. "

But, we also do not even know what her actual house even looks like. Only that it is "similar" to the picture.

• PRO
    6 months ago

The person designing your house is working for the builder, not you. Your best interest is secondary at best.

There is no time limit on charades. Do your due diligence and verify that the person designing your house is licensed to practice architecture.

Theresa M thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • 6 months ago

Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's good intentions in pointing out what can go wrong.

I am aware of a typical custom building process when you buy the lot, find an architect ( you pay from your side, take the plan to a builder and builder will quote you as per the plan you bring in.

Here the situation is some what similar. You buy the lot. You choose a builder out of 4 or 5 who has been building in that community. Builder's Architect will work with you to understand your vision, preferences etc and come up with a plan. At the same time, Architect, Builder and we have an opportunity to work together on various aspects like cost considerations during this plan creation ( ex. 4 side brick vs no brick, how square footage impacts cost etc). Once the plan is done builder will quote you as per the plan you bring in ( similar to above approach I mentioned) but it wouldn't be something totally new to you as you would have a good idea by this time on what to expect. The builder doesn't have any vested interest to make the plan one way or the other. They are ready to do whatever you and Architect come up with.

Am I to understand that this is not common?

• 6 months ago

It seems both easy and prudent to check an architect’s license, just as you would when working with a contractor, electrician, plumber, …. A license doesn’t guarantee the quality of the work, but absence of a license raises questions (at least it does for me).

• PRO
    6 months ago

It should be your architect that serves one master, you. They can work with the builder, but they work for you. They are working in your best interest because you are paying them.

• 6 months ago

I agree Mark Bischak. In reality, we are paying the Architect though the Builder. Builder would price it as per the plan.

Good thing is that we have an opportunity to review and revise it through out the process by asking "What if we want" or " what if we don't want ..." kind questions. Builder doesn't care about it as long as we pay :-)

Again my question....isn't this something common in custom homes?

• PRO
    6 months ago

It is uncommon for me. I work for my client and get paid by my client.

Does the person designing your house receive the amount you pay for them, or do they receive the amount the builder pays them?

I was recently approached by a builder that wanted me to design an addition for their client. I told them to give them my contact information and have them contact me, I work directly with the client and bill them accordingly. The builder asked me how they get paid, does the client pay me then I write the builder a check for 20%? I told the builder, "No, I do not work that way."

• 6 months ago

It's easy to verify that someone is an architect. Enter the name at this website.

Registration is not usually required in order to design a single-family house but falsely using a legal title is, at the very least, a willful misrepresentation of someone's legal capacity and training indicating dishonesty or ignorance or both.

What makes me suspicious is the apparent lack of knowledge of traditional architectural styles.

The French Chateauesque style is derived from the Chateau of the Loire valley in France. I see nothing about the photo you posted that suggests this style. They have very steep hipped roofs, strong cornice lines and dormers are usually small and immediately above the cornice or flush with the exterior wall (wall dormer).

• 6 months ago

This house might be called "inspired by" the French Chateauesque style.

• 6 months ago

The example home you posted is an Anglo- Caribbean-style or West Indies home currently being built here in SW Florida. It's NOT French. Not even a little French.

Another term for this style is Ostentatious.

You already have 8 different roof lines. Let me say that again, 8 different roof lines. Eight. If you want to add overkill to overkill throw on some dormers too.

The roofline on the inspiration house really is overdone. Overblown rooflines are more expensive to build and more likely to leak.

but doors will be regular doors not the carriage type that swings open.

This is a Carriage House ... it's about the front /side door placement of the garage, nothing to do with how the doors swing. Do they even make swing-open garage doors any more?

No separate payment from our side to Architect. It is all part of the total house price.

So he works for the builder, not for you.

Your builder has an architect. The architect is loyal to the builder, who will give him more business in the future.

Though the house you're building is larger and much more complex, you're building a tract house. That's not a bad thing; tract houses can be lovely and functional, and I don't buy into this board's mantra of "You must have a full-fledged architect even to build a doghouse; otherwise, doom will befall you and yours for seven generations!" -- but I think you're expecting an architect and a custom house, and I don't think that's what you're describing. Please be 100% sure of what you're signing on for.

• 6 months ago

"to review and revise it through out the process by asking "What if we want" or " what if we don't want ..." kind questions. Builder doesn't care about it as long as we pay :-)"

For every single change as a change order, that will get expensive quick. I would want to know going in what I am getting and that that is what I want.

• 6 months ago

Thanks everyone. Let me clarify some aspects which may have caused some confusion and the reason for some posts

- House picture I posted was just to show the placement of the garages on both sides of the house. Nothing to do with the design style of our house.

- I used the word "French chateau style" to convey that we like gables on Garages, sloping roof on the main part of the house etc. We DON't want or like a typical French chateau style house.. What we like garages at the front and on both sides of the house. A semi court yard kind of design where you can where garage doors opens to the courtyard.

- There is 40 feet width between two garage door opening. Don't think getting in or out is an issue

• 6 months ago

While l I appreciate the benefits some of you pointed out where you pay the Architect directly, he is loyal to you, serving one master etc I would greatly appreciate if you all can respond specifically to both points below from the model I am following. Comments with broad brush kind of approach makes it difficult to understand

1.Architect doesn't have a mandate or directions from the builder to do the plan one way or the other. Builder doesn't have any preferences on the plan either. As a true custom build, I have the options to do whatever I want. Just as an example. If I prefer to have a balcony in place of the dormer, then I am sure the Architect will do it. He will definitely discuss the pros and cons and eventually it is for me to decide. If I prefer, I can engage the builder if I would like to know how much it would cost to build the balcony.

2. Having a model where Architect working in tandem with the builder so far been beneficial for me. Architect doesn't have any benefit in any shape or form from whatever plan we will finalize. I have the benefit of discussing where in the plot the house will be placed, construction specifics, cost impacts based on options I consider in the plan etc with the builder as part of the planning process itself. So that by the time we finalize the plans, I know the cost to build and I know what I am getting into. No surprises

• 6 months ago

PPF, You may have misunderstood my comments. Architect never said is not too sure about the offcentered Dormers, I said I am not too sure about Dormers or its placement. Architect is on vacation till first of December hence these queries. Also, I myself is not sure about Dormers in general as i mentioned in my original post " While I have seen Dormers on much expensive luxury home, sometimes I think it takes away some beauty from the overall look of the house. Also, it can be perceived as more of an added item stuck onto the house than part of it.

Cant decide :-) I agree that personal preferences will vary but trying to see what is everyone's thoughts and opinion? "

• PRO
    6 months ago

". . . takes away some beauty from the overall look of the house."

No one knows what the house looks like, possibly not even the designer of the house at this point (I hope he does). What if it does not possess beauty to begin with? Adding a beautiful dormer to an ugly house usually does not help. I will have to wait for the designer of the house to reveal the elevations and floor plans (OP willing) before offering my opinion of dormers and the stealing of beauty.

I still wonder if the designer of the house is licensed to practice architecture in the state, or if this is an instance of a builder giving the owner a false sense of security.

• 6 months ago

Youwill never know what things the architect added or didnt add to make it easier for your builder or what corners he did to make it cheaper to build. Florida is notorious for these relationships. If you are in the Sarasota area, let me know who the builder is.

• 6 months ago

And you still refuse to check if your ”architect” is licensed. You keep ignoring that question. My development had 18 houses built by our builder. And most are poor design because my neighbors so wanted to believe what the builder and designer said. Including implying the designer was a licensed architect. Why are they poor design? Because they were designed 1 floor at a time and because of the hidden shortcuts

• 6 months ago

@cpartist, can you sure an example of a hidden shortcut that a designer might take for the benefit of the builder? I'm trying to imagine what those might be - maybe eliminating some of the jigs/jogs so the house footprint is simpler?

• 6 months ago

@cpartist, can you sure an example of a hidden shortcut that a designer might take for the benefit of the builder? I'm trying to imagine what those might be - maybe eliminating some of the jigs/jogs so the house footprint is simpler?

• 6 months ago

• PRO
    6 months ago

Chances are the designer charges the builder $xxx, the builder charges the Owner $xxx+20% (or some percentage). Of course the builder does not mind what the designer designs, he is making his 20% no matter what. If for some unforeseen reason the builder stops paying the designer, the designer stops working.

• 6 months ago

This semi custom home arrangement is quite common in many areas of the US where planned subdivisions are common. A developer develops - has a custom buidling team s/he works with that buys the lots (or agrees to build a certain number of lots), each builder has an in house designer (or architect) OR client can bring their own in some cases, and the homes are generally more diverse and more custom than in a single builder/developer tract home neighborhood. Usually reserved for higher end subdivisions. I think calling this a tract home is a misrepresentation.

To act like this is uncommon is not dealing with reality. True architect designed custom homes are the exception vs the rule.

MILLIONS of families get new homes this exact way.

Back to the OP - it's really hard to answer your question without seeing your design.

• 6 months ago

You're just teasing us with half baked architectural references with no drawings or photos of the actual design. It's a waste of everyone's tme.

• PRO
    6 months ago

I think RES spelled "tme" the way he did so he can truthfully state, in regards to this thread, i am missing.

Happy Thanksgiving every one.

• 6 months ago

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Can't expect everyone to read through all previous posts. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Second floor and elevations are yet to be done. He is on vacation till December first week so I expect these to be completed by middle of December.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• 6 months ago

Every design I have ever had drawn for me was given to me as a complete package. The fact that you have a partial plan is not normal for an architect or a good designer. You don't usually want the builder to hire the architect on a very expensive house - absolutely on a more modest house it is fine. I am just repeating what others have said but they are architects and my perspective is as a HO.

There is never a good historical reference for a house designed around cars - something to consider.

I find the courtyard undesirable because it means that I am staring at a large concrete or paver drive out all the front windows. It doesn't allow for shade trees for the front windows. Every guest walks to the house on a large field of pavers. If you have a large area of land, why would you want that?

I do realize that Florida doesn't really have shade trees in most areas - but there is still pretty vegetation and I would want to see that out my front windows. I like nice annuals to walk by on the way to the front door. All sorts of things that aren't a field of pavers.

• 6 months ago

Personally, I think dormers can add some character and functionality, especially if you're planning to use that space down the line. It might not look as perfectly symmetrical, but it could serve a practical purpose. Plus, if it's well-designed, it could actually enhance the overall charm of your French chateau-style home.

• PRO
    6 months ago

Seek balance; symmetry is only one possible way to achieve it. But we need to wait until mid December.

• 6 months ago

I find the courtyard undesirable because it means that I am staring at a large concrete or paver drive out all the front windows. It doesn't allow for shade trees for the front windows. Every guest walks to the house on a large field of pavers. If you have a large area of land, why would you want that?

David, you saved me a lot of typing. So I will add that all of that paving will be a giant heat sink that stores heat, radiates heat and reflects heat back towards the house. And there will be a lot of glare bouncing off the surface. And the U configuration will further insulate the area from a cross breeze the would help to dissipate some of the stored heat.

• 6 months ago

And believe it or not, here in FL we have some wonderful shade trees

• 5 months ago

Architectrunnerguy shows how it should be done. Not the way your "architect" is designing the house. Again did you check to see if your "architect" is truly an architect?

• 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Trying to understand the difference in approaches. I am sure it will help others too.

In my case, the whole planning was done more of sequential manner involving zoom discussions, multiple in person meetings etc

1) First step was providing ideas and rough sketch from our side on what we have in mind, Non negotiable MUST have's like garages on both sides, semi court yard design, kitchen and primary bed room location, total number of bed rooms, Total Target Square feet at first floor and second floor, type of exterior looks we have in mind, preferences for Brick, stone etc etc.

2) Finalize first/ground floor plan initially

3) Second floor and elevation together - This is in progress

Architectrunnerguy, when you say "concurrently" what does it mean exactly? Can you do a comparison with the three steps I mentioned above?

cpartist, Decided not to check the certifications of who ever we are working with for Architecture plans hence avoided the question so far. Sometimes ignorance is a bliss....People do many strange things. Let us consider this as one them and I would like to leave it there :-)

• 5 months ago

@Theresa M Ok, Sorry I missed this from a few days ago but I've seen it now.

What I mean by "concurrently" is everything, the plan, the elevations and sections are all developed more or less at the same time. When thinking of the house, most of the time all that is in my head but the whole design concept goes forward with all the pieces generally at the same time. You can see from my rough design drawings above, the elevations are being drawn the same time as the plan, rough because these were done in front of the client, but there's some thinking there of how things might work. It's not "Ok, we have the plan, now it's on to the elevations". When we get to the point of having everything figured out the owner sees all floor plans, elevations and 3D stuff all at the same time. Not "Ok, here's the first floor plan. What do you think? And now it's on to the second floor plan". Everything needs to work together.

And actually, when starting, I'm thinking about the second floor probably a little more than the first floor because it matters more where a stair comes up there (ideally you want it coming up in the middle of the second floor) and typically the second floor is more rigid with more enclosed smaller spaces then the first floor and therefore it has less design flexibility than the first floor......I know....it's probably still clear as mud.....

As far as your three steps.....your first one is identically to what we do....we get a project description, site info, inspiration photos and a bubble diagram and anything else appropriate. But from there, like I said above, we take all that info and steps two and three are combined and done together.

Theresa M thanked Architectrunnerguy
  • 5 months ago

Decided not to check the certifications of who ever we are working with for Architecture plans hence avoided the question so far.

Funny you want to bury your head in the sand regarding this. You're giving over 6-7 figures of your hard earned money and you're ok with not knowing if you're getting the best service you can? You're ok with someone who might have no more education than taking a CAD course versus someone who had to study not only design, but engineering, structures, etc?

Question: If a doctor told you that you need a major operation, would you just trust him/her or would you vet him/her and/or get a second opinion? Would you check out if there were other options?

Sometimes ignorance is a bliss

Ignorance is never a bliss when it involves building a home and spending your hard earned money. Ask me how I know that. You're not expected to be a design expert but you certainly can vet the person(s) designing and building your expensive house.

But it seems you've dug your feet in so I do wish you the best of luck in your build and I hope it's all you hope it is.

Theresa M thanked cpartist