SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_538371515

Dining Room Update Help Please

Design Fan
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

Hi, I am updating my 13’x25’ dining room. But I find myself a bit stuck trying pick the best options to make my room really shine.

My existing dining room is traditional (Ethan Allen 90s Canterbury oak furniture set) but I want the update to add some transitional, MCM and/or glam touches. I would like to keep the table and am open to new chairs or refinishing the EA queen anne chairs (maybe black?). I want to replace the china cabinet with a long sideboard and replace the server with a slim small console.

Also looking for a new 9x12’ rug, lighting fixture, drapes with three innermount natural grass blinds and to add a large plant. My current rug (PB Thalia - hand tufted wool) is only 3 years old but it still sheds like a beast.

The wainscot, trim and the mantel/built in cabinets are BM Linen White as is the rest of the house so I was trying to keep this color. But I am open to a new wall or ceiling color or maybe even wallpaper. I am wondering if I should perhaps add wood banding to the built ins’ shelf edges to breakup all the white.

My house is a split level so the first room you see when you come up from the foyer is the dining room (especially the ceiling, mantel wall and china cabinet wall).

The DR has two 57” openings into the kitchen/seating area which has colors in a mix of black, white, cherry, expresso and cinnamon. The two DR openings line up with two frenchwood sliders out to patios/backyard.

Below is a floor plan. Bear with me as I am a slow typer :) and I will add in the comments my room photos and photos of new pieces I am considering. In case it helps, the current room/furnishing measurements are:

Ceiling - 8’

Wainscot - 35”H

Height above mantel to ceiling - 34”

Table - 108”L x 42”W x 30”H

Server - 41”L x 19-1/2”D x 33”H

China cabinet - 60”L x 17”D (base is only 27” high so too low and not long enough by itself)

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Comments (13)