SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

grab bar placement

AJCN
6 months ago

When our contractor built our shower, about five years ago, he put blocking that is needed for grab bar installation. I couldn’t find a grab bar that I liked at the time so we still haven’t put one in. But now my sister-in-law and brother are staying with us for her cancer treatment, and she uses my shower because it’s big enough for my brother to be in there to help her. I need to install a grab bar now. The blocking goes all around each wall behind the tile. The contractor said he would come install it as soon as I find one that I like. I would like it to be attractive so maybe somebody could share some good sources with me. The fixtures in there right now are Delta Trinzic. Also, I’m wondering if it is functionally better to install it in the horizontal position or vertical? Primarily it would probably be my brother who would be holding it to make sure he stays steady to help her get up and down from the seat and that kind of thing. But I imagine she’ll use it also as she’s entering and exiting even though he’ll be there with her. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (5)