Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Thought this was funny

2 years ago

I did a google search and was hoping for a link but Google came up with this:


When it comes to refrigerators, there are a few brands that you may want to avoid. According to a home inspector Hubert Miles, some of the worst refrigerator brands include Frigidaire and Whirlpool 1. Another source, worstbrands.com, lists LG, Beko, Bosch, SMEG, Vikings, Maytag, Thermador, Kenmore, Electrolux, Blue Star, JennAir, and Signature Kitchen Suite Refrigerators as brands to avoid 2.


I'm pretty sure that covers every brand available.

Comments (26)

  • 2 years ago

    Ha 😄

    Truly - what's left?

    To be fair, it does go into specific model numbers, rather than condemning an entire brand.

    Kathsgrdn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
  • 2 years ago

    Many of those lists disregard 1) Kenmore appliances are rebadged from the various other brands, Sears/Kenmore doesn't directly manufacture anything; 2) brands that are tagged as bad may be manufactured by the same parent company as others that are touted as good.

    Kathsgrdn thanked dadoes
  • Related Discussions

    OT -- I thought this was sooo funny and had to share!

    Q

    Comments (7)
    I loved it, I shared it with George so he could tell it the next time he goes to have his blood work done. The ladies in the hospital are always asking him if he has any new jokes. Shoot, I'd pay the man $40 if he'd come clean my house. I certainly don't have time to do it like I'd like it done. LOL Thanks for the laughs. Marian
    ...See More

    I thought I posted a funny photo of my cat in a box

    Q

    Comments (7)
    How funny :) Cats have such individual personalities, they keep you constantly entertained. My cats know better than to get on my countertops or table. They are surprisingly good about not counter surfing too. I was searching the house over for the female one day. Gave up for a while, & then went back into every room in search. Suddenly caught sight of the flicker of the tips of her ears. There was a box on top of my dining room table & she was in it. Much larger than the box Snoopy is occupying though :) Thanks for sharing :)
    ...See More

    If YouThought 'New Bulbs' Was Funny...

    Q

    Comments (6)
    In our climate, irises can be transplanted at any time. I've even moved them when they have flowers (best way to be sure you're getting the variety you want.) If they're moved just prior to bloom time, you'll likely lose that year's blooms. I think the "transplant opposite the bloom season" thing is generally a good idea, but it doesn't make any difference to the irises in our climate, & it's just too hot here to move them in August or September. (but the Iris Societies have their sales then, & you can always get good prices by showing up late: they'll discount the irises they have left so that they don't have to go back out in that heat & re-plant them!)
    ...See More

    Thought this was funny!

    Q

    Comments (9)
    Thank you, spell check! It doesn't check word usage, just whether or not it's spelled correctly. It's not a misspelling! Even Grammar check doesn't work well that way. Note I used "whether" instead of "weather"? Well..... it would pass spell check either way! But yes, they need a human proofer/editor!
    ...See More
  • 2 years ago

    I can see that being named Hubert is going to have an effect on your view of life. Who does that?

    Kathsgrdn thanked Patriciae
  • 2 years ago

    Even model numbers don't really play into it. The widgets needed to build a product are outsourced. They are supposed to all meet the specs. But it comes down to quality control at the factory the widget is made. Plus those widgets are made several brands. Parts is parts.

    When it comes to appliances you try to buy the one that has repair ability. That means that parts are easily sourced and repairmen know the product. It all comes down to quality control of all sorts of little widgets needed in the window of time the appliance is built.

    Many home inspectors know how to check off a list. Many are told what to look for but have little understanding of why or how something works. I wouldn't regard them as a trusted source.

    Kathsgrdn thanked wildchild2x2
  • 2 years ago

    I currently have a 28 year old Whirlpool. I know if I replace it, the replacement isn't going to last nearly that long.

  • 2 years ago

    Fisher Paykel are very reliable, but I don't know if they are available in the US.

    Kathsgrdn thanked colleenoz
  • 2 years ago

    If you want long lasting appliances look for anything w/o all the environmental energy efficiencies. Those are the killers of appliances. We are saving minute kilowatts while we fill land fills and wastefully manufacture metal--with all the enegy that takes!!! It's totally illogical!!

    Kathsgrdn thanked arcy_gw
  • 2 years ago

    It is funny, and I have to say that yes all the brands and reputations have changed over the years.

    I did notice that GE is not in the bad list. Not saying it deserves to be there or not, just trying to find a brand that hasn't been mentioned there.

    full disclosure,when we remodeled 3 years ago, I bought GE appliances.

    Kathsgrdn thanked salonva
  • 2 years ago

    Amana...? :0)

    Kathsgrdn thanked User
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    The last one I bought is a GE. The one (not sure of make) I had for eons finally quit, then I tried Frigidaire, then Whirlpool - those let me down big time in a short time. So far, so good with the GE as long as I don't overload the freezer compartment (small unit for my small kitchen). It is noisy though when it runs to get up to temp. I don't know the proper term for that. ha

    Kathsgrdn thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • 2 years ago

    I have an old Whirlpool in Cathedral City (came with the house) that I like a lot better than my newer Kitchenaid fridge (which did not make your list BTW). I tend to judge a fridge by how good the ice maker is.

    Kathsgrdn thanked Lars
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I have an Amana in a rental that's 13 years old...and the new GE French door with hot water...lasted 4 years...before I threw it out. The Samsung French door....also 4 years.

    Kathsgrdn thanked User
  • 2 years ago

    I've had side by side GE fridge/freezers with in-door ice/water for 40 years (or whenever in-door convenience was first available). Each new one was lighter than its predecessor -- more plastic/less mental. Last year I replaced a 20 year old GE Monogram that began leaking with same. It was hard to keep up with the number of model changes on just this one product within a year. I was told by GE that the number changes when any significant part is dropped/replaced. My model came into being because the insulation was a substitution for something no longer available. .

    Colleen -- I had two sets of Fisher Paykel dishdrawers in 20 years before giving up the convenience for a full size Bosch dishwasher (for less money). I think the US F-P products are not as good as what you get 'at home'. I was very unhappy to see how much better the Bosch performed. I hadn't realized my dishes were not getting all that clean in the F-P.

    Kathsgrdn thanked chisue
  • 2 years ago

    Reliability by age is a constantly moving target. Referencing an old unit as reliable to support a given brand, such as my 1997 KitchenAid that has never had a repair, is always disparaged by the pundits because today's machines are said to be of lesser reliability, although that isn't necessarily true. My parents 1962 Whirlpool washer had many more repairs in 15 years than did the 1976 and 1994 replacments in 18 years each.

    Fisher & Paykel laundry has been gone from the US market for upwards of 10 years. DishDrawers, refrigerators, and ranges are available. My DishDrawer reached 20 years in Aug 2023 (it has had some repairs, all DIYed).

    Kathsgrdn thanked dadoes
  • 2 years ago

    Seems you take a chance with most brands these days. Quality is far from what it once was.

    Kathsgrdn thanked chloebud
  • 2 years ago

    I'm not commenting what I want to comment-I don't want to jinx myself.

    Kathsgrdn thanked OllieJane
  • 2 years ago

    My 2003/2004 GE Arctica SxS continues to function, although a few repairs (DIYed). GE range of the same era is OK, no repairs. OTR microwave went bad 3 or 4 years ago, I would have repaired it but no parts available. The replacement GE OTR failed in 1.5 years, runs but no heating. I intend(ed) to repair it but haven't yet done so, am using a 16 yo compact-countertop GE that was my grandmother's.

    Kathsgrdn thanked dadoes
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    One of the biggest failures of modern fridge design is having the ice maker and water built into the door. Always choose a refrigerator with the ice maker in the the freezer. Stay away from bells and whistles and electronics required to provide them. Buy any appliance for its basic function and you you have less to go wrong and a solid history behind the function.

    My range hasn't even got a clock. The only electronics are for the thermostats and the ignitors. It will last a lifetime or more. Of course someone down the line after I am gone will dump it because it isn't "in" or something. I can't believe how so many people replace their clothes dryers every time they buy a new washer. Dryers will outlive washers 3 to one. Well at least the basic dryers will, not the new matching ones. Too many bells and whistles versus a good thermostat, bearings, and build. Marketing has made people stupider. Manufacturing/design has made it more difficult to repair yourself so people are less capable of even learning to maintain their stuff or fix small problems.

    Kathsgrdn thanked wildchild2x2
  • 2 years ago

    Wildchild2x2, I agree, had an old Kenmore washer for decades and I kept getting it fixed when it died on me. Finally, my repairman told me to start looking for a new one as it wasn't going to last much longer. The new one is very basic, top loader.


    My oven works fine, came with the house. Bought the house around 2006, so I have no idea how old it is. One burner no longer works and I could call that repair guy to see if it can be fixed but I haven't. I haven't needed more than 3 burners at once for a long time.


    I'm only thinking of getting a new fridge because it looks so bad on the outside. Inside looks perfectly fine. Outside, it is very discolored, previous owner put stickers and stick on note board so it's has discoloration from that. Then the grill on the bottom has been missing for quite some time. I have no idea what happened to it.


    I am replacing the stove hood. That thing works but looks really bad.

  • 2 years ago

    “…had an old Kenmore washer for decades and I kept getting it fixed when it died on me.”

    Same here. We replaced the Kenmore with a Whirlpool that died after 4 years. Replaced the Whirlpool with an LG that’s doing fine but I had 3 sales people tell me the lifespan of washers these days is 5-10 years. One of them said to cross your fingers and toes when you hit 5 years. We’re at year 7 with the LG.

    Kathsgrdn thanked chloebud
  • 2 years ago

    I had a Kenmore washer that lasted 25 years and was still going strong. I sold it for $25. And back in the day my mother and I had GE refrigerators that lasted 30-plus years. Mine was avocado and still worked when I sold it because I hated the color. My current washer and dryer I think, are over 20 years old and still working well. Jinxed myself.

    Kathsgrdn thanked lily316
  • 2 years ago

    The repairman told me the best basic brand was Whirlpool when I asked him what to replace my washer with, so that's what I got. I just looked and my dryer is Whirlpool and so is that old stove and old fridge.

  • 2 years ago

    I replaced my old Kenmore washer a couple of .years ago with a Maytag, top loader and the difference in quality between the two is remarkable. The old one was so much better! I had repaired it myself a few times and we had it for over 25 years.

    This new one is totaly crappy,

    My daughter recently had to replace their frideg and I think what they ended up with is an LG, maybe . But I leaned against it one time and was surprised that the sheet metal on it is so thin that it flexes! They did a lot of comparison shopping and found it difficult to buy a really high quality one. This was right before the end of covid. It took them a long time to even find that one.

    Kathsgrdn thanked claudia valentine
  • 2 years ago

    kathsgardn, you have a repair service where you live? I am impressed. I was reading about buying new appliances and one thing that was discussed is the availablity of finding a service that can provide support and repair. That, apparently, is not an easy task.

    Not much repair work goes on anymore.

    For instance, we are in the process of replacing a water heater and the real truth is that the old one really needs a new thermostat. It is really just the small contained bundle of electric controls that needs replacing . We had four ,in total. plumbers come to give us service and not a one of them even mentioned reparing it. All they do is replace. So. since I am not married to that guy on the YOuTube who just goes out and gets the part and installs with his handy tools, I was at the mercy of whatever a plumber could offer. But, to be fair the heater does have a few years on it, so we went with that logic and are chooisng to replace it. Getting anything repaired any more is not straight forward or easy.

    Kathsgrdn thanked claudia valentine
  • 2 years ago

    Yes, Claudia, I still see his van around town even though I haven't had to call him in years.