SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutella302

Need throw pillow help for my white sofas!

txponygirl
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

I've spent countless hours online shopping for throw pillows. I'm about to give up and live a throw pillow-less life. The sofas are brand new. I'm having a hard time figuring out what accent color (and patterns) for throw pillows would look best and bring this room together. I'm attaching pics (different angles) of the room and also window coverings and area rug. This is in Arizona. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (107)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

Btw, I am ok with your rug. Not everything in your room is a focal point. A bright colorful rug might steal too much attention. Just something to think about. The rugs Diana posted are beautiful, but keep the whole in mind. Your art and fireplace are main focal points. Everything else is “supporting” something I would hold and keep current rug. You could slide colorful pillows on the lower shelf of your coffee table too and add color there.

txponygirl thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 months ago

I understand your position, txponygirl, and keeping the rug is absolutely fine. I just figured if you wanted to go further getting a more colorful rug would be an option.

txponygirl thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • stiley
    6 months ago

I pulled together some more pillow options from the Etsy shops. I think these go with your rug and combine your colors in a way that's not so straight orange and green. I'm not suggesting to put the orange pillows on one sofa the green on the other; these are just possible combinations. And I like the original orange pillows you just bought; you could do a little high-low combination with those plus other designer ones.

I think some of these patterns suggest Southwest without being too theme-y. The gecko embroidery may over over the top, but perhaps in a small pillow? It kind of ties in with the green guy in your art.

It might also be good to repeat some white/light in your coffee table decor.

txponygirl thanked stiley
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Diana Bier Interiors, LLc....I'd love nothing more than a new rug, but those sofas! LOL Flo Mangan....I will definitely go shopping. I really like the pillows Jilly suggested as well and I'm all for less pillows! I'm going to check out Potter Barn and the likes over the weekend. I think that green lumbar that I picked up is throwing me off.

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@stiley....LOVE the lizard pillow!!!!! And I absolutely love those rust colored! Gives me food for thought!

• Kendrah
    6 months ago

Where did you get your small fortune sofas from? I love them!

txponygirl thanked Kendrah
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Kendrah.....Monterey Skirted sofas from Ethan Allen

• mytwo cents
    6 months ago

Joining in the pillow fight I am going to re-post my first suggestion for less pillows and simple sophistication. 4 of these

Handwoven Green Cotton Blend Lumbar Pillow With Tassels · More Info

Still not sold on southwestern decor mixed with oversized European liquor ads, but if reptiles are being celebrated, I want to re-nominate again this William Morris for the far corner of the sofa on the diagonal from the absinthe poster. Might be quite charming

txponygirl thanked mytwo cents
  • Kendrah
    6 months ago

You have a great eye. I just looked up the sofas on Ethan Allen and the skirting looks so fantastic. Much better than the pics on their website of the sofas without it. Just beautiful.

txponygirl thanked Kendrah
  • kl23
    6 months ago

@mytwo cents love the frog! But I also loved the burnt orange velvet a LOT!

@txponygirl To be honest, I don't like any pillows at all unless they are needed for use. I just don't like using throw pillows or blankets for decoration... Not just for looks. Know what I mean? I like a throw for when I get chilled. But if it's not something I actually use, I don't want it on my sofa. I like the clean lines of the sofa instead. And I'm not a minimalist either. It's just throw pillows are so often in the way like in the hotel I stayed in last week... Ugh! So I'd only have one if I would actually need it when sitting or napping. What about you? Does someone nap on this sofa?

But a rug... I think you do want a rug. I'd focus on whether or not you want a different rug. If you do, tackle that first. I like to draw attention to the seating area in a living room, and some color in an area rug does that so much better than a neutral rug. But that's because I don't have your beautiful fireplace and views out your huge windows! Maybe that's why you chose a neutral rug. And maybe neutral is best for your space. What are you thinking today? Neutral rug? Is that why you are headed to the pillow store? If so, and you are keeping a neutral rug to be the shy wallflower that lets the view and fireplace shine, then wouldn't you also want shy wallflower pillows? Or do without them completely? Following that same logic, don't have anything flashy on the coffee table either. Save it for space to actually put down snacks for friends as you did, or to lay out a jigsaw puzzle (envious!). Just some thoughts... Curious as to what you think. I can see pictures but you live in that space and know how it makes you feel.

txponygirl thanked kl23
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@mytwo cents....I'm going back to the drawing board. I like the idea of less pillows. I also love the frog pillow! I guess you can say my style is eclectic :D Actually, this is the first southwestern style home I've ever lived in. When buying art in the past, southwest never crossed my mind. Maybe someday I'll replace those, but for now they stay. I like the lumbar pillow idea.

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@k L....I'm actually going to try and keep the area rug if I can. I don't like a lot of pillows, but I do need some. At least two on each sofa. My husband and I both like to lay down while watching tv. As for my coffee table, my previous living room was huge. I got rid of the sectional sofa that was way too big, and happy that I didn't have to get rid of the coffee table. I don't have a lot of stuff around because I don't particularly enjoy cleaning and therefore, less stuff in the way means less time cleaning. lol But I do think it needs a little more. :D

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

If you both like to lay down to watch TV (I do), I like the lumbar sized pillows. They give your neck support nicely. Good for napping too! Two lumbars for each sofa is awesome. You also don’t have to go full Southwest. Your art looks like French Art Nouveau from my screen. So, unlock your inner French girl! Lol.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

A few to ponder.

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Flo Mangan.....I actually speak french! And here I thought my taste in art was purely because of my love for alcohol! LOL Thank you for the suggestions!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

Aha! French Drink poster’s probably turn of the century. Really special. We lived in Brussels Belgium for 3 years and I took that train to Paris maybe 20 times. Love every thing French and Belgium too. Of course, the Belgians claim they taught the French everything they know especially about food and wine. Frites (Belgian French fries!!! OMG!). Now you made me hungry!! That urge direction I would go and bring new look to Texas! Yay!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

Is direction. Darn auto correct!

• kjoy1
    6 months ago

I love your sofas 😍

txponygirl thanked kjoy1
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I wasn't going to go shopping today, but I wanted to return some pillows and came across these. The rust colored patterned are the same ones that a lot of you like. I came across some that are actually gray and rust. I know it's not as colorful, but it does seem to tie the area rug and the taupy grey in the drapes. What do you all think? The problem is that there were only 3 textured rust pillows and only 3 of the gray and rust. If they look good, I can see about trying to get a 4th of each. Or maybe add a small quirky lumbar to the loveseat. In person you can really see the gray in the pillows with the rust piping.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

They look great! Enhances rug too! Good picks. Size is great too!

• Jilly
    6 months ago

I really, really like those … I think they look perfect in there. You have such excellent taste!

I’m another who needs pillows to lounge on. I could never be comfortable on a sofa with no pillows. I’m typing on my iPad right now, watching movies, one arm resting on big pillow. :)

txponygirl thanked Jilly
  • kl23
    6 months ago

@txponygirl would you humor me and take a picture of the room with just the pillows with grey?

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Flo Mangan & @jilly....thank you!

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@K L.....here are the gray pillows with the rust piping. I only have 3 pillows. They don't look gray on my computer, but they are.

• Gcubed
    6 months ago

Love the combo of the rust and gray /rust pillows. They actually look like good quailty pillows too. I, personally, like your rug. Room looks serene. Clean but comfy.

txponygirl thanked Gcubed
  • kl23
    6 months ago

Thanks, @txponygirl you're a dear. I appreciate you letting me learn on your time. I definitely prefer more color, not less, even with all the focal point theory.

txponygirl thanked kl23
  • freedomplace1
    6 months ago

It‘s a beautiful space. And i love your bold art over the sofa.

You can go in any number of directions with your pillow colors and textures.

My choice would be to do no pillows, or just a throw on the main sofa, or just a few pillows in black and white.

txponygirl thanked freedomplace1
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@freedomplace1.....thank you! I have a closet full of black and white clothing. I'll try draping the pillows and see how that looks.

• stiley
    6 months ago

Lovely! I really like the latest rust/gray ones you bought. You have good taste, and maybe you just needed a push to go for it. Pillows are something that's fun to swap out occasionally too. You have a really nice room!

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@stiley.....thank you! I'm always second guessing myself, and I really appreciate the help!

• kjoy1
    6 months ago

Odd man out 😬 I am not a fan of the new pillows. Sorry. To me the orange color makes the room a little too theme-y and somehow distracts from the art.

txponygirl thanked kjoy1
  • Jilly
    6 months ago

I mean, no matter what you do, some will like, some won’t … there’s nothing everyone will universally love (especially on a decorating board!), so go with what makes you happy to look at and is functional. Plus, although pictures are helpful, they’re no comparison to seeing things in person from every angle instead of fixed points regarding scale, texture, colors, etc.

Your room is so attractive, I can’t think of much that could look bad in there!

What does your DH think about the most current ones?

txponygirl thanked Jilly
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@jilly.....thank you! You are so right! He really likes the latest combo. I'm thinking of sticking with those. They're not over the top patterned, but compliments the the art and rug. I'm going to keep the current number of pillows and when I come across a nice little quirky lumbar to add to the loveseat, I will. I love orange have accents elsewhere in my home.

• Jilly
    6 months ago

Oh, stop it! I want your house! Wow. That bell! The posts! And your cabinets! 😍

Was the brick already painted when you moved in? I’m normally a brick purist and against painting it, but in your house it’s absolute perfection. I don’t think any color, original or not, could look better. Swoon!

I’m curious what the exterior material(s) are, only if you don’t mind saying. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

Usually, when you at first sight love, stick with it. The pillows in the last group are perfect to my eye in your space. I love that wall hanging. So unique. What I like most about your home, is the fact that it is not a copy of every showroom or magazine but more about your personality and sense of style. So well done! The many architectural details aren’t easy features to work with either but you have definitely nailed it! Is the stone “hill country limestone”?

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@jilly....Thank you! This is our 7th home together in the last 30 years and probably the warmest and most inviting of all. It's an Adobe style condo that is 26 years old and was completely renovated by the previous owners in 2016. The bell is a Cosanti Originals (Paolo Soleri) The previous owners had one just like it in the exact spot. It took me nearly a year to figure out what kind of bell it was and that the art studio is literally 25 minutes down the road from where I live. lol As for the brick, it looks as though they were painted prior to installation, but I'm not sure. :)

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Flo Mangan.....Thank you so much for the compliment! If you are referring to the counter in the kitchen, it's actually quartz. Yes, I'm going to be keeping the last group.

• blfenton
    6 months ago

I'm late to this but have you thought of instead of trying to match by using colours from the artwork and curtains, rather create a little tension with blues ranging through to violet. with perhaps a hint of black in the pillows. It gives you another colour for accessories as well.

I would not replace the rug.

txponygirl thanked blfenton
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@blfenton.....thank you! Never thought of those colors. There's a tiny bit of blue in the Campari print. Aside from a ton of black in my closet, I do have blues....going to try draping pillows. Still haven't taken the tags off the pillows. :D

• Jilly
    6 months ago

txponygirl, thank you for sharing!

I had a feeling the bell was a Cosanti — a very close friend of mine (and longtime fellow poster here), has one. I sent her a message with a link to this thread, I know she’ll enjoy seeing your decor.

I agree that your house, besides being beautiful, looks very warm and inviting! So glad you’re both happy there. :)

txponygirl thanked Jilly
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    6 months ago

Kjoy1 is not odd man out…. I definitely like the pillows but to me they are matchy-matchy. I love your art! Maybe try to bring a bit of green into the room with pillows or a throw with some green in. I also have poster art and am surprised I don’t see it more often. I love your home. It’s very stylish and beautifully decorated!

debra

txponygirl thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@djacob Z5b SE WI.....thank you! I'm going to try and find a quirky little lumbar that I can add to the love seat, maybe with some green in it or a throw. :)

• stiley
    6 months ago

Here’s the lizard lumbar if it’s the kind of quirky you’re looking for: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1154691497/

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 months ago

I love the Cosanti pieces! Thanks for reminding me of them. Yours looks spectacular there!

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@stiley.....I do like that lizard pillow. I'll definitely keep it in mind!

• txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Flo Mangan....thank you!

• kl23
    6 months ago

@blfenton made the suggestion to add a touch of violet with the pillows. With your orange and green, she is headed to a triadic color scheme and one of my favorites. Just in case you wondered if there was any basis to the suggestion. Currently you seem to have an analogous color scheme with orange, gold, and green. Generic, this is a beautiful room, you have great taste, so I'm sure you find the perfect pillows.

txponygirl thanked kl23
  • kl23
    6 months ago

I meant Generally....very different meaning than Generic. Sheesh! Sorry.

txponygirl thanked kl23
  • txponygirl
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@tracefloyd.....I'm going to try! How long before my right hand stops twitching? 😂

• tracefloyd
    6 months ago

Wow, looks great.

txponygirl thanked tracefloyd