SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_853833833

Bathroom Fan/Vent Roof Cap Question

Larry Arabia
7 months ago

I am putting in a new bathroom fan/vent. No fan currently. Since I have demo'd the shower insert to put in a new shower I am also adding light and fan. The situation is as follows:

(1) The ceiling is vaulted 12+' at apex.

(2) The ceiling is beam and wood, tongue and groove 1" planks. Then 1" foam/poly insulation/vapor layer, and roofing material (composite shingles). In all ~3" thick.

(3) There is no power/conduit in/through ceiling as there are no voids.

(4) The only power and switch location is on an interior wall; the wall where the shower plumbing is located.

(5) I have placed switches and run power up that wall off a GFCI circuit for light and fan.

(6) I have purchased a Panasonic FV-0510VS1 "WhisperValueDC" ventilating fan as it is thin enough to mount within a standard 2x4 stud wall and rated for wall installations.

(7) The fan has a 4" oval conduit mount, for which I have a 4" to 3" rigid adapter - and 3" rigid ducting.

(8) I plan to mount the fan approx 12" below the roof line in the wall which is approx 2' below the roof apex.

The challenge is that I am unsure of what roof cap to use and how to best attach the ducting given (a) I cannot holesaw a 4"+ hole as that would exceed the diameter of the wall and placement (3 3/2") within it; (b) the thin ceiling/roof combination does not allow for any wiggle room for a 3" to 4" adapter required to fit most standard 4" vent cap systems; and (c) there does not seem to be a roof cap vent for 3" ducting other than the type for pvc/plumbing vent stacks etc.

Am I missing something? Any ideas on caps or other solutions are appreciated. The other option is to abandon the fan entirely. There was no fan previously which was not a big problem as the bathroom is huge with high ceilings, but the shower was also enclosed in a full shower stall which I am now opening up to above, so in theory there will be more steam moving out of the stall toward the ceiling instead of condensing on the interior of the shower.

Comments (2)