SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Fall into Winter Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

Our group members come from many places: Italy, Malta, Australia, Canada, U.S. etc. and are in different stages on the wheel. Personally, I don't see Fall to be as happy as the Autumn tree seems to be, because I know what's coming...the horrible Winter tree!! Which, in Canada, should be roots up and making snow angels. Anyway, welcome everyone and bring discussions of your rose experiences no matter what your weather may be. :) :) In my opinion, the Fall tree looks a little drunk on fermented apples. lol

Comments (1.7K)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 months ago

I think Diane has the right idea about poppies. They could be left to reseed by themselves, but they look so bad when they go by so it would be more appealing to pull them to dry and save seeds and toss them out again.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Yes, Sheila. My method, as you describe, has been very successful for bread seed poppies, all annuals. Shirley poppies are all annuals, too. Every plant has its day and poppies are superb in spring. But they need to make way for other plants that have way longer bloom periods. I've done this for years. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Related Discussions

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 3

Q

Comments (179)
    Nice pic titian1! It snowed a bit here last night...windy and cold today...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Nanadoll, I hope your doing ok... Please let us know when you get the chance... The Bloomstrucks have been crushed with snow & ice...
    ...See More

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 4

Q

Comments (229)
    Hi Lavender! It’s been a while since I’ve seen anything from you. Merry Christmas, and great to hear from you. Diane, I did order Boscobel from them last year. It’s sure worth requesting a catalogue, if you don’t get one. Mine just arrived yesterday, so maybe some are still on their way? It’s 172 pages without the index, and loaded with gorgeous pictures. I just wish I could get my hands on the DA florist roses, as plants. I know they aren’t meant for home gardeners, but I’d sure like to give it a try. They are absolutely incredible. I’ll see if I can get a picture of a page without disturbing my little lap friend:) ‘Charity’ is so unique with her little green pip. Either this one or the next are my favorite. This one, ‘Edith’ might be my favorite. Those antique gold centers are so beautiful! Here’s one more picture. I love the ruffles in ‘Beatrice’. I don’t know why I’m drooling over the couple pages of roses that we CAN’T order for the garden. They’re just irresistible to me. I think ‘Edith’ could be one of the DA roses my niece, Jenna, used in her wedding last year. It sure looks like it. Jenna used lots of warm colors, while Sarena,(the recent pictures I posted) used more subtle colors. They both used lots of gorgeous DA roses, but very different from each other. I hope everyone gets their DA catalog soon. I think it’s the best edition they’ve ever sent me, but I haven’t been getting them for all that many years. I’m impressed by nice selection of non-DA roses, as well. This “Index By Color”, at the end of the catalog is a nice feature, although it doesn’t include all the DA roses they offer. Evelyn and Bishops Castle aren’t in this index. It’s a great way to see color graduation, and I appreciate that they mixed in non-DA roses. It would be a great tool for designing a bed. Too bad it’s too late any new designs around here. I mostly just winged it, and they are where they are...... Lisa
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 3

Q

Comments (130)
    Lisa, your Flamingo Garden's Tea is the epitome of a tea rose and I am captivated. I hope all those buds remain intact through the high winds. Gorgeous with Pomponella peeking through. Your bouquet may not be what you had in mind, but it is lovely and I wouldn't change a thing. I will be looking for a Cherry Caramel phlox! Love it! Sara Ann, what pretty grands you have. The grown up girl on the right in the 2nd pic must be the little girl in the first photo? And, the boy on the left must also be on the left in the 2nd pic? I can't decide which of the two young boys the little cutie blondie is. Mine are all girls except 1 grandson. We have photos of him and my dad, his great grand dad, sitting side by side on the porch, each wearing one of dad's hats from when he was tiny through his 20's, the last one taken just before my dad passed away. Those photos are so precious. Diane, you are always so complimentary. I could post a photo of dirt and you would find something nice to say about it. Those roses are Rosarium Uetersen, Quietness and Florentina, all in their shrunken, cold weather glory. Hope you put an extra blanket on the bed. We are both scheduled to get down to 14˚ tonight. I'm still doing the compost sling, too. Hope to wrap it up this week. It's too cold to stay outside for long.
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 5

Q

Comments (135)
    Trish, I thought Rosie was asleep in your bed. But now she's asleep on your arm. Goodness. I'm awful--the cats are barely allowed into my bedroom, let alone into my bed. Of course, Clancy has an icky sneezing problem. Thanks, for your comment on Love Song. Is she available in Australia? I think that rose would love your weather. Snooty magazine "Travel and Leisure", features Australia as its "destination of the year". I haven't read it yet, but one writer chronicles his 1242 mile drive from Perth to Ningaloo Marine Park. I think he's interested in the coral reef (which I've read is having problems). How is the smoke at your place? Has your daughter made it to Melbourne yet (or I am all mixed up again?)? It's getting colder here, and I'm going out to do more cleanup. They are predicting snow in a few days--gah. More premature winter. Thanks, Jim. I wish for things to come down out of the air for you. Thinking of you. Diane
    ...See More
  • berrypiez6b
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

rosecanadian I've been reading about poppy seeds ; our poppies get a long nap through the cold . Then when the weather warms up enough to the temperature they like, the smart little things germinate. The weed seeds do the same unfortunately.

I strongly suggested you chop off the Black Knight's heads so the dogs wouldn't step on the sharp seed cases.

After all the poppy petals fall, you can let the poppies self seed if you want a nature area full of them the following year. The stalks should be disposed of as soon as the pods have opened at the top and peppered the ground.

Left standing they get rotten and bug infested.

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

The poppy plants have large leaves that disintegrate after the buds open and bloom. It's not pretty. I pull up the entire plant as soon as possible, rather than later, so the non poppy plants nearby aren't disturbed after they come up. Diane

• KittyNYz6
    3 months ago

My peony poppies bloomed for 4-6 weeks before leaving seed pods. While they bloomed, there were many blooms on one green stalk, sometimes. When seed pods formed stalks looked old-dry so then I’d remove w hole stalk. If the stalls stay green I would try dead heading to see a few more blooms this new season. when one is tired of tall poppies, then let them turn into seed pods & remove them. After awhile it’s nice to remmove tgese giant lettuce looking stalks to make way for roses & other flowers.

I just lost a whole paragraph that I saved & posted…. later it has dissappeared, Lol Houzz is Amazing!!! Hmmmm.

I have aboutv10 varieties of poppies and may save some to plant another year…. or I would bot have room…. having them come up everywhere.,

SEEDS, SEEDS SEEDS:

I think I will draw a plan of where to olant my abundant poppies & other seeds. I need room for Dinnerplate Dahlias, Sunflowers,,, giant peony poppies , and gorgeous zinnias. I also plan to have lots of ranunculus and pansies in pots on porch and front garden beds. Scabiosa will line beds too.

rosecanadian thanked KittyNYz6
  • berrypiez6b
    3 months ago

KittyNYz6 it seems like a terribly long time until we can see our poppies again...

I have 5 varieties of poppy seeds , I can hardly wait ! Purple poppies are going to be in with the orange roses . If the Antique Flemish do well in the back near the Salmon poppies, maybe they will cross and have outrageous babies. The White Clouds will be floating above the red roses. Enough about poppies .

Diane you talked me into getting Young Lycidas IF they have a potted one at the local nurseries. YL will be my substitute for not getting Bring Me Sunshine. There are a couple places he could be planted to flop and strong arm the other roses to his heart's content. Maybe WS2000 ( AUSromeo ) and YLycidas will hit it off . Now I need a Juliet .

Last Spring I got the only Plant Tone left on the shelf , I'm shopping early this time. The Nu-Life sold out before I could get a grain of it. My neighbor got a batch and loved it,

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Diane - great looking snaps!!

Sounds like everyone is in accord. So that's what I'll do. :) :) However, I think it would be a good idea to do successive seed flinging...thoughts?

Berrypie - for sure...I'll deadhead Black Knight. :) I may do what you suggest...leaving the pods on until they burst and then take out the plant. I want poppies everywhere since I don't have roses in the garden. So, you're getting a Young Lycidas!! Going to be a beauty for you. :)

Kitty - ugh...I hate that you lost a paragraph...so frustrating.

I went swimming twice this week, but only did 8 laps both times as my calves had seized up during two consecutive nights over Xmas and couldn't handle much. Then I went and tread water for 45 minutes....this uses the thigh muscles so didn't hurt my lower legs. It was very Zen-like and I felt the same as everyone else...very able-bodied. Then when I get out, I'm me again. lol It's such a great feeling to be in the water.

• KittyNYz6
    3 months ago

Carol, Nice swimmimg work out! Sounds a lot of fun & good for you! And successive flinging sounds good! I think if you have just a little seeds you might dead head to get the most blooms….. but if you have a lot of seeds…… then successive planting and just pull them out when they are done w/ blooming & have pods.

Berry, 5 poppies is a lot! You will have some amazing blooms! I think we all are having poppy mania! Or seed crazy? I think I have too many seeds! When I plant in pots we will see how many I can put on the indoor table in the bay window.

Berry, Juliet rose is stunning , also! They sell Juliet on ETSY! He, he! Tempting! Shes on my wish list, but I have enough roses.

Juliet, DA rose, GcmRanch, Etsy $59

That’s a pretty DA! Ausromeo & Juliet could be very happy!

Several of my roses look like Juliet: Domain de Chantilly, Mikoto, Miyabi , Masora. Wonder Wonder…. do I need another peach/pink? LOL!

is Sweet Juliet”, DA DA, the SAME ROSE. it look vivrant in color?

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Kitty - yes, it's fun. :) :) For seeds, my main hope is that I get flowers and they look really nice in the garden. I doubt if I'll have tons of seeds this year of each variety. Maybe my focus should be on getting seed heads so that next year I can try to extend the bloom period. Oooh...Juliet is scrumptious!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Kitty, those are lovely photos. I didn't realize that Austin had a Juliet rose, let alone a Sweet Juliet. The older of the two, Juliet, is pretty, but the blooms only 2.5 inches across. It has over twice the favorite votes on HMF as the newer, larger bloomed, Sweet Juliet. Helen who used to post her gorgeous photos on the forum, had the best photos of Sweet Juliet. Otherwise, I wasn't overly impressed with either Juliets on HMF. They seemed pale imitations of Evelyn. Just my opinion..... I ordered a few seeds from Swallowtail Gardens a few days ago. They were shipped out the next day. I noticed Swallowtail puts more seeds in its packets for about the same or less cost as another favorite seller of mine, Select Seeds. I'm becoming more aware of what you get for what you pay. I've ordered for years from Swallowtail, and it's at the top of my list. Park and Johnny's are more expensive, too. Hazards is all over the map as far as seed quality and price, but it offers a tremendous selection of snapdragon seeds. As usual, my seed order was based on hope against the quail reality. Yes, once again, I ordered some cosmos seeds, a dwarf orange type I'll grow in a bowl if I'm smart. I have no idea why I ordered two kinds of hollyhock seeds, since I don't grow them anymore. Coming are Majorette, a double bloom, dwarf type, and Summer Carnival, only 5 feet tall, a double that I've grown and is a favorite. Both are very popular on Swallowtail and often sold out.......Just got an email from Trish in Australia. We were discussing the world's most lethal spider which is Australian, of course. And just discovered was the largest of these spider's ever, and I saw the photo of it. Eeeek. Trish has them in her garden. Nothing like Australia for strange wildlife. Hope you're having a good day, everyone.

Oh, I forgot. Berry, I will not take responsibility for your Young Lycidas, but I hope he is a beauty for you. I recommend Julia Child as a partner he can drape on. See up the thread for my example. I like those colors together. Diane

Guess who?

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Carol, good luck with your seeds. You might be surprised at how many poppy seeds you get the first year. I think concentrating on the pepper pot seed heads is the way to go, and you'll probably end up with a plastic bag full of seeds. You could sow them at two or threes different times. Diane

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 months ago

This morning we had non sticking snow and then the sun came out so I ran out and cleared a space for the poppys. The multi colored poppys were so small and to my eye invisable lol and there werent many in the packet . I believe thst I will order some Laurens.

I did a tiny bit of clean up but then the rain came and I was done. The weeds are looking particularly vibrant lol

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Kristine, our snow is sticking, and, boy, is it coming down. We're going to have it off and on all week. This has been a very good year for precipitation. I sowed my poppies a while back while back when some snow was on the ground. There were more leaves, though, so I'll be sure to sow again. No weeds here, but those ugly wet leaves are awful. I'm glad the snow is covering them up. Where do you get your Lauren's Grape? I like the dark grape from Renee's Garden Seeds. I don't know how the price compares anymore because I haven't bought the seed in years. I wish I could send everyone some seed. Diane

Lauren's Grape and Young Lycidas

• berrypiez6b
    3 months ago

Ok , I take full responsibility Diane for looking at your ravishing irresistible photos of Young Lycidas, and researching every bit of positive info I could find. As for reading the description you wrote about YL's incomparable scent, yes I'm completely and unquestionably the one to blame. I most certainly can't say you force my own hand to plant the luscious Dark Grape Poppies . The decision is all mine - but I heartily thank you.

Did somebody mention seeds ! I love Swallowtail and wish I hadn't rushed my order. Every garden should have Cosmos, some quail heads may roll...

Next up for my seed ordering agenda is Hazzards ( and boy are they ). Every time it's narrowed down crossing some flowers off , a few others get added. The Forget-Me-Nots got forgotten last order. Now my total shipping charges for the garden this year will exceed $ 50 counting the roses. It was my bucket list - not as expensive as a trip to see the Grand Canyon , and far less risky than a parachute jump.

I can't imagine those Australian spiders in the garden , although they might catch and eat quail.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Berry, no I am not importing the giant Australian spider for my garden. They might catch a lot of insects, but the quail will persist. Thank you about Young Lycidas. I'm wondering if you could use a tomato cage to support him while he is young, though I was serious about using Julia Child, it sounds like you've already have your quota of seeds and roses coming. Are you having snow right now? Diane

3 months ago

I just ordered Laurens Grape from Bakers, free shipping and 350 seeds.

I have quite a few from a pretty white with a purple dots around the center. Hopefully a few will sprout. Now that I have have a spot cleared it will he easy to toss more seeds.

• berrypiez6b
    3 months ago

Yes, giant snowflakes have been falling for a few hours. These apartments are so poorly built, I'm grateful for the insulation the snow provides on the roof. The garden is going to like a nice blanket too, the bare roses have been shivering. Doug the in-house weatherman keeps me apprised of coming weather. Yesterday subzero weather was predicted for next week, but it has changed for the better.

internet photo

Kristine, from satellite the West Coast will be purple.

3 months ago

Well, we sure need mountain snow for a good water year. Tell your resident weatherman thanks for the weather color update.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Diane - You're trying for some more cosmos. :) :) Good luck with growing them in a bowl...hopefully that will work. :) Would that be the brown recluse spider? They're quite common there. Eeek!! Are those fabulous roses YL? Oh my!!! Thanks...I hope they work out...I'm excited to get even more seeds from the pods...bwahahaha...more seeds!!! More seeds!!! Does it matter if you sow the seeds over mulched green matter from last summer or do they have to be put on nicely raked soil? That's a pretty basic question...but I have no clue. :) Oooh...I love your Lauren's Grape!!

Kristine - lol...the weeds are looking particularly vibrant. :) :)

Oh, Berrypie - that just blew my mind...spiders catching quail!!! Have you ever heard of coconut crabs? I can't imagine!!

Kristine - 350 seeds?? WOW!!

Berrypie - I wish we had cardinals...those two are SO pretty! Sounds like you're getting some cold weather.

We're going down to -24C/-11F in the day down further to -30C/-22F at night. All of a sudden winter has found us.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

EEEEk! Carol is that your garbage can? That is the most disgusting looking crab. And no, I've never heard of a coconut crab. I suppose they are a Canadian scourge--ha. The spider is native to Australia and called the Sydney Funnel Web Spider, the most poisonous in the world. Recently the world's largest specimen was found and caught and turned over to some kind of animal center where they collect spider venom to make anti venom. They were ecstatic to catch this huge specimen as a big source of venom. Different things make different people ecstatic. Finally, you are getting seriously colder than we are. However, next Saturday we will have our coldest low of the year so far, when it will get down to 4F. I hope this changes. Zone 7's lowest average temp is rated at 10F, so we will be down to zone 6. I hope this prediction changes. But your temps are just scary to me. Carol, I have thousands of poppy seeds. Should I try to send some to you. They would probably be confiscated. If you have green mulch over the soil, it would be best to remove it where you are sowing any seed. Poppy seed should not be covered with any soil, either, but other seeds want soil covering them. The seed packet will specify this. I have grown dwarf cosmos in a bowl before, and it does work. You should try at least one pot or bowl of flowers grown in a pot from seed. Nasturtiums work well in pots from seed, too.

Berry, as Carol said, we love those fluffy winter cardinals. I also wish we had those birds here. I'd even take blue jays, maybe. Our only colorful birds are goldfinches and orioles. Diane

Dwarf Cosmos grown from seed in a pot. Aren't you overwhelmed by this magnificent accomplishment?

• KittyNYz6
    3 months ago

Beautiful photos esp. Lycidias! Pretty cardinals and BIG crab!!!!!

i will chat more later…..

Researching ckarification Juliet & Sweet Juliet…..

Juliet, older DA, 3.75-4” blooms blooms, 3-4ft bush, oeachy tea fragrance. (i’d like the bigger bloom! Sold on Etsy)

Sweet Juliet, newer DA rise, 2.5” bloom, 5-6ft-vigorous growth, oeachy fragrance.

The older Juliet has a bigger bloom/smaller bush. The new Sweet Juliet has small blooms butvBIG bush! Sold only by DA-oresently out of stock.

Juliet, A DA Wedding rose

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LOaBT2i2upY

Ben’s amazing video of Juliet.

Listening to Ben’s video of his Juliet, the oetals are form….4-5 inches diameter…. last about a week in the vase. Blooms singly and in clusters.

Each apricot rose has it’s unique style! Juliets are very cupped, peachy-oink and cream petals. Unique as a cut-fliwerflower.

6-10 inches snow in last 24 hours…… it started snowing yesterday…..Finally a big snow….

View from my bedroom window.

3 months ago

Ok seed starters, I am looking at kits for my seeds and some have heat pads and some have grow lights . I am leaning toward the lights so that they can be set up in my sort of warm garage. Any personal preferrence?

• KittyNYz6
    3 months ago

Kristine, Grow lights are my vote.Yay! You planted your poppies. I think with my heavey snow now…. I will wait until Feb 1st for planting poppy seeds, , maybe . When thete is some snow but not too much. Ir I will just see how weather chabges thos month.

I looked at a DA Wedding rose website & Juliet was listed as, ”The favorite.” Others lusted are Constance, Effie, and Darcy. Darcy is more cupped shaped than Darcy Bussell. i think these wedding roses are more cupped shape, perfect to fit together in wedding bouquets. and floral arrangements. Interesting!

Diane, I would say the DA wedding roses are more dekicate in appearance to fit wedding bouquets. Evelyn looks similar but may be more robust. Your Evelyn and other roses grow sooooo big , bigger than Juliet, and are most suited to gardens.

Carol, Wowza, those freezing temps are low! -22F would freeze my socks off! Pretty cold hete to, 32F in the day/22F at night….. but warming to 42F in a couple days. But the snow is BIG OUTSIDE now! Well, about a foot deep.

Berry, More seeds! Forget Me Nots sound beautiful! Youvare goibg to be soooo busy w/ seeds!

Berry, Diane , More snow for you both! We are all getting real snow now !!! Guess we get winter now! My snow stopped falling in last hours, it snowed for last 24 hours. Now a foot. More snow coming!!!!!

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Glad the you discussed not only roses here! Need an advise, where to buy astilbas roots? Need a lot of them for my shadow areas.

rosecanadian thanked elenazone6
    3 months ago

Thanks Kitty, that was my thought as well.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Kristine, how warm is your garage? I am starting seeds in my bath room and keep temperature about 78F. I have warm floors and towel warmer. You definitely need heated pad. After seedling are established, I am moving them in colder area.

I grow a lot of petunias and vegetables.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Diane - No, no...those are tropical crabs...I found this: Coconut crabs are found across the Indo-Pacific, from islands off the coast of Africa near Zanzibar to the Gambier Islands in the Eastern Pacific Ocean. They are typically found in coastal forests with plenty of rock crevices and soil for digging burrows.

They are immensely strong and curious...where they live you can't leave anything loose in your yard like shoes, flashlights...they'll take anything.

Oh, the Funnel Web Spider...yeah, I've heard of those. I just found that article...it was the largest male specimen which was almost as big as a female spider. So females can get even larger. lol Yikes!

Really? Your temps are supposed to be zone 7...and you're getting zone 6...I hope all of your roses will be okay. I hope that changes for you too. As to our colder temps coming tomorrow...we won't be used to it...we've been spoiled for so long this winter. Thousands of poppy seeds!!!!!! Oh, so tempting. I know that Berrypie has sent me seeds...but in an envelope with not very many seeds...so maybe that's why they get through customs. And I don't want to bother you with sending me seeds. That's okay. :) :) But thanks for the thought. :) :) Okay...I have a few spots where I didn't put green mulch (whipper snipped flower stems) down. Also...should I loosen the soil...there won't be nice new soil like you put down every spring. I did try some seeds in the front bed (very shaded). Some seeds germinated and became crappy plants. I tried some in pots...Nigella was the only one that came up...and meh... That's why I'm not very confident. :) Thanks for walking me through this. :) :) Diane, we have magpies. :) :) Most people here hate them...but I think they're beautiful. Everything else is brown. In the forests there would be blue jays, etc. Those are dwarf cosmos? They look a lot like marigolds...even the stems. Interesting. They are pretty...and very dwarfish. :)

Kitty - Those wedding bouquets are INSANELY gorgeous!!! They're beyond belief!!! Holy crap!!! Yup, that's what our backyard looks like too. We're getting more too.

Elena - everything looks great...so healthy!

• berrypiez6b
    3 months ago

Very nice set up elenazone6, you are ambitious. You must save a lot of money starting vegetables by seed. I bought sage and rosemary seeds to plant in Spring, hard to believe one little herb pot costs 5 dollars at the nursery.

Do you have any garden clubs close by that would have Astilbe ? Spokane WA has a huge historic park my Grandmother took me to when I was a young child.

To support the conservatory " the Friends of Manito " plant club have a big sale every year with the best plants in town.

rosecanadian that crab is the stuff bad dreams are made of !!!

KittyNYz6 thanks for the link to Ben's Juliet, what a beauty she is. Brrrrr - Winter is beautiful though all clothed in sparkly white. Amara snaps at the falling snowflakes.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 months ago

The heat pads would be good too, Kristine. Occasional seeds don't like them but most seeds prefer heat in addition to lights, of course.

Delphinium seeds don't want heat in particular.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

My friend Elaine used grow lights, the long tube lights, heating pads where necessary, and always had a fan going near her trays. She had damping off only once during all the many years and many seeds she germinated. My step dad used a fan, too, in the room where he wintered his dahlia tubers. They both had rooms devoted to seeds and tubers, which helped get conditions right, I'm sure. Diane

3 months ago

Wow! it liks like I need both because my garage isnt that warm. Thanks for the advice. I will order both. I want a tray tall enough for peat pots so I dont have to transplant.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

@berrypiez6b,Thank you for the advice! Yes, I am saving a lot of money by growing seedlings myself, but most importantly, I am growing plants that are rare to impossible to find as seedlings. I have a collection of 100+ tomato seeds and dozens of peppers, eggplants, and cucumbers.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Berry, I just googled for information on Manito Park, and what a place it is. Formal gardens, rose garden, and other kinds of gardens. The photos were beautiful. I was thinking friend Elaine had recommended another wonderful park in Spokane, but I can't think of the name. Do you have any ideas? I still want to see the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden, which is one of the best there is for roses. And of course, the Huntington Garden and Library is another California gem. Google Filoli if you're interested in superb gardens also in California. The name is taken from the words, fight, love, and life. I would like to see it again, but it takes some planning. They only bring visitors into the gardens on special buses. Diane

Basil, which I let flower for the bees at the end of the summer. I grow it in an old whiskey barrel, which you can barely see.

Basil earlier.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Great tomato photos, Elena. I just grow plain old modern varieties. Just below is a weird type that was given to my daughter by a friend. It's supposed to look the ways it does, and is heck to cut up. For all the hassle of cutting this strange thing up, it didn't taste any better than a typical tomato.

My specialty is growing hot peppers in big pots. These are habaneros.

Some jalapenos.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Tabasco

Hot Japanese pepper, Takanotsume. We use this as a substitute for the large Thai peppers that we can't get anymore. I know a lot of you have seen some of these pics, but I'm in a farmer mood tonight. I miss GardenNut, and wonder what's become of her. She had so many of her "crops" to share in photos.

For Berry. Here's the sunflower in his prime before his sacrifice.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Thanks Diane! I am planning to grow in pots everything except tomatoes this year. Last season got too much of everything, especially eggplants.

Your tabasco pepper looks very festive!

Also if somebody have limited space for tomatoes highly recommend to explore Dwarf tomatoes :https://victoryseeds.com/collections/dwarf-tomato-project#MoreInfo

Gave them a

try last year and was very happy with results.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I don't know if anyone could see my last post...so I'll try it again.

Diane - No, no...those are tropical crabs...I found this: Coconut crabs are found across the Indo-Pacific, from islands off the coast of Africa near Zanzibar to the Gambier Islands in the Eastern Pacific Ocean. They are typically found in coastal forests with plenty of rock crevices and soil for digging burrows.

They are immensely strong and curious...where they live you can't leave anything loose in your yard like shoes, flashlights...they'll take anything.

Oh, the Funnel Web Spider...yeah, I've heard of those. I just found that article...it was the largest male specimen which was almost as big as a female spider. So females can get even larger. lol Yikes!

Really? Your temps are supposed to be zone 7...and you're getting zone 6...I hope all of your roses will be okay. I hope that changes for you too. As to our colder temps coming tomorrow...we won't be used to it...we've been spoiled for so long this winter. Thousands of poppy seeds!!!!!! Oh, so tempting. I know that Berrypie has sent me seeds...but in an envelope with not very many seeds...so maybe that's why they get through customs. And I don't want to bother you with sending me seeds. That's okay. :) :) But thanks for the thought. :) :) Okay...I have a few spots where I didn't put green mulch (whipper snipped flower stems) down. Also...should I loosen the soil...there won't be nice new soil like you put down every spring. I did try some seeds in the front bed (very shaded). Some seeds germinated and became crappy plants. I tried some in pots...Nigella was the only one that came up...and meh... That's why I'm not very confident. :) Thanks for walking me through this. :) :) Diane, we have magpies. :) :) Most people here hate them...but I think they're beautiful. Everything else is brown. In the forests there would be blue jays, etc. Those are dwarf cosmos? They look a lot like marigolds...even the stems. Interesting. They are pretty...and very dwarfish. :)

Kitty - Those wedding bouquets are INSANELY gorgeous!!! They're beyond belief!!! Holy crap!!! Yup, that's what our backyard looks like too. We're getting more too.

Elena - everything looks great...so healthy!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Berrypie - yeah...those crabs are hideous. They can crack open a coconut...so their claws are strong! Look what I found: It's even more unsettling when you learn that coconuts aren't the only things that they can tear apart. As omnivorous creatures, coconut crabs are willing to eat both plants and animals. They've been known to kill birds, feast on kittens, and rip apart pig carcasses

Oh, that park looks lovely...so bright and happy.

Wow, Elena - those are really unusual tomatoes!

Diane - my goodness...your basil is huge!!! Your Tabasco plant looks like it could be a Christmas tree. So pretty! Are you going to grow another sunflower this coming summer? Such a huge head! I tried to grow sunflowers here...they didn't grow (probably not enough depth to my soil), yet I've grown them elsewhere with no problem.

• berrypiez6b
    3 months ago

Diane I love seeing The Sunflower's sunny face.

These are Jimmy Nardello's elf shoes. The plant produced some amazingly rubbery, tasteless peppers, sturdier than most shoes on the market. Filoli is magnificent !!!

elenazone6 Victory is a fantastic seed company, it's fun to read all the tomato descriptions. I bought more seeds than I could use in a lifetime, and sent a batch to the tomatojunction.com seed swap. Your vegetables look so gorgeous and tasty ! My tomato experiment using potting mix in 5 gallon buckets was a colossal failure, but I sent dwarf tomato seeds to my sister who has a farm with real dirt. Her tomatoes did great , now she loves the exotic tomatoes. Have you ever watched LUCKYGARDEN on you tube ? https://www.youtube.com/@LUCKYGARDENTOMATOES/videos

rosecanadian it surprises me there hasn't been a movie released yet "Godzilla Meets Coconut Crab " . Probably just too high budget if the actors and film crew kept having to be replaced.

My long post disappeared - I'm written out, I need a tea break.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Berrypie - :) :) I'd watch that movie. :) :)

Sounds like we need a new thread if people's posts keep disappearing.

I'll start one tonight unless someone else does first. :)

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Good Idea, Carol. Meanwhile, I must comment on those crazy Elf Shoes, Berry. I thought I knew most popular peppers, but your description of rubbery and tasteless tells me I don't want to grow these, though they are pretty weird looking. Lots of snow here, for us, anyway, and a lot more coming this week, along with miserable temperatures. But I can always think of Carol's temps to cheer me up (sorry, dear Carol. Obviously, my mood needs lifting).

For Berry, I'm repeating the sunflower's life and his work. The bird's planted this black oil sunflower seed, and I cannot take credit for this wonderful plant. But I'll be planting a few of these seeds in the same area in spring. Diane

• berrypiez6b
    3 months ago

Thanks Diane , The Sunflower's life was well lived -

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” Jon 15:13

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

Thank you, Berry. And what a beautiful photo above you've posted. I hope to grow more sunflowers next year. Just the kind that produce seeds for the birds. Diane

• KittyNYz6
    3 months ago

Hi, Rosie Friends,

I see you have been feasting on tomatoes, very hot peppers, other veggies and the birds are loving sunflowers! I’d love a couple sweet peppers and cherry tomatoes in a pot this year!

However, I am spending hours researching Japanese roses and David Austin, Juliet, oatent in US 2006. ! Just love looking at them & reading! Curiosity! I love Ben’s Juliet video! I guess I am soooo intrigued, I wanna know how well Juliet may do in my garden. She has a rich round cupped florist cutting rose shape. She has tge karger bloom (Sweet Juliet, patent 1993). ) in US has the smaller bloom.) Ok…….. last time this spring I order a unique rose…… but I need to try Juliet out….

So I ordered Juliet today-My big adventure, the old rose, from GcmRanch, Etsy $55.00. Now I can make wedding arrangements with Effie, Juliet and Constance! My DA wedding/floral cutting roses. Lol!

Juliet rose, Etsy photios

Juliet, Ausjameson, the newer Juliet, is a 4ft bush, 4 inch diameter blooms, with lighter pastel peachy blooms, sonetimes yellow, not dark peach, & peachy fragrance. Sgecwas a reasonable cist; however however, I see that many claim her the mist exoensive rise in the world. I just wantva little Ausromeo & Juliet in my garden-romance! Lol!

I just love exoerimenting w/ roses and researching! Learning! What a joy roses can be!

I think I!s like a ton of DA roses just to experience their unique beauties! However, I really have ordered my quora for this year!

3 months ago

I heard from Nate at Garden Roses and he is out of Shakespeare 2000 ( Ausromeo) so I am on the wait list.

My 1st pack of hollyhocks arrived and im such a dork. There werent 350 seeds, the price was $3.50 ha ha.

I think that I will get a couple of other varieties from Eden Brothers. I actually have a few spaces for more Hollyhocks.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Diane - Yeah, we're getting snow too. No worries, Diane. lol Since I don't walk outside anymore (except to walk from the curb to the Y ... about 5 seconds) the weather doesn't really matter to me. Eventually when my legs get better...but by then it will be deep into summer. The coldest day (others are almost there) will be on Friday -29C/-20F and at night (-38C/-36F). That's horrible for the homeless...but, thankfully, there are shelters. I'm up to 10 laps!! Next week I'll try 12. Slow but steady wins the race. I love how the birds and the bees benefit from your sunflower plant. Those nice oil-rich sunflowers right when the birds need them. :)

Lovely, Berrypie :) :)

Kitty - those Juliet roses are wonderful...my favorite is the first pic with those sunshiny colors. :) :)

Kristine - lol :) :) Are you feeling better today?

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago
  • KittyNYz6
    3 months ago

Thank you! Kristine, Carol, Sheila, Diane, Berry! Juliet is already being shipped to me. GcmRanch,on Etsy, ships asap when I order-yes, in the middle of winter-roses! Another to add to the kitchen roses pot ghetto, Lol!

Carol, Thank you for this glorious winter thread and your new spring thread! I am so grateful for your llovely joy every day! To wake up to such beauty daily posts is wonderful!

Thank you, Rosie Friends for this wonderful thread and all your posts and contributions!

3 months ago

Amen!!!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Awwwww you guys!!! Thanks so much for being my friends here. :) :) :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!