SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_227031627

Motion activated kitchen lighting

7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

So, I saw these cool motion activated lights from a firm called Novy. The lights are "gesture activated"--so you turn it off and on by waving at the light, and on certain models, you can direct what sections of the light fixture are on by waving a certain direction with your hands. I have no idea what it costs.

So does anyone have any experience with motion activated lighting in the kitchen? Certainly, outdoor motion-activated lights are common and well-established. Is motion activated kitchen lighting a solution in search of a problem? Is this just something that my cats will play with and eventually wear out from overuse? What other cool technology is out there? I just learned about the Frame TV on another thread here, and I thought that was interesting, and I thought about and passed on Invisacook because I didn't think it is there yet technologically. I am remodeling, and now is the time to add the devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgM0yISjJT4

Comments (24)

• PRO
    7 months ago

I have only ever used it for toekick lighitng, so the overheads wouldn't have to be turned on for a midnight raid for the icecream. Any other use woud be pretty darn annoying. Even that was annoying, as the sensors are not smart enough to keep it on long enough.

HU-227031627 thanked DeWayne
  • Related Discussions

Motion activated faucets

Q

Comments (5)
    I am set on getting one too and think the Sensate is the model we will get even though i havent found many user reviews. We looked at the moen motionsense but found several scary accounts of malfunctions resulting in kitchen floods and lowes stores in our area have already taken them off the shelves telling me they didn't sell. Like Marti8a, I am tired of wiping up water on my counter!
    ...See More

Motion detector light power usage

Q

Comments (1)
    Even the lowest end units have a photo cell to keep the lights from coming on during the day. The MD still works but the draw is negligible.
    ...See More

Pantry motion light

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks so much............I went to HD today and looked at the 2 shown above and a regular ceiling light (i really think it was for outside but the guy told me either in or out). I figured the door jam type ($11) was too hard for DH, so I paid the $33 for the motion switch. Thanks everyone it helped me out a lot. In my head I pictured the old fashioned type of light on the ceiling (with the string) but with a motion type of "something" attached. I'm sure the HD guys woulda thought I was Loopy!
    ...See More

Please recommend led motion activated floodlight for soffit mount

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, the electricians put in a soffit mount for my screened porch door light that overlooks the deck. I can't tell which of the led motion activated floodlights can work on a soffit/ceiling mount. Can you recommend or link to one for about $100 or less? thank you so much.
    ...See More
  • 7 months ago

Recently bought a new car and was able to order with exactly what I wanted in it. One of the options was the car could detect hand "gestures" and you could change setting with it. Didn't seem like a great idea, so I skipped the option! I also have a trunk that is supposed to open when you do a kick gesture under the bumper ... haven't gotten that one to work yet!

What happens when you are in the middle of dicing a tomato and someone else makes the gesture that turns your kitchen lights off ... hope you didn't need that finger ... oops!

HU-227031627 thanked chispa
  • 7 months ago

Not the kitchen, but my brother put them in the guest bath off the mud/laundry room in their last house. Teenaged kids who never seemed to turn off lights and it annoyed him. I hated them. I'd be busy in the bathroom, or seated in the bathroom and the lights would go out. I'd be waving my arms, sometimes cussing, would really have to stand to turn them on again. It was an interior bathroom....no window light at all so very dark with the lighting off.

I've changed all but two outdoors to lights on timers even, that's how much I dislike motion activated.

DH will sometimes cook crab over gas in the driveway in winter. The sensor for the then-motion-activated front of garage light was in front of this office. Every several minutes one night in the snow, I watched a friend come into window view wildly waving his arms to turn the lights back on over the crab cooker. I had it changed to hard wired timer that I can set according to the seasons.

HU-227031627 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • 7 months ago

@HU-227031627 what about this appeals to you? I would never spend money on this, not only because of the reasons listed above, but also it seems like something destined to break after a short time.

It does remind me of my old office which had motion-sensor lights in rooms used for meetings. It made sense for those spaces because people would rarely turn lights off when they left a meeting. The sensors were also commercial-grade, so more robustly built. I remember a particularly boring meeting, where one person droned on and on. As everyone was falling asleep, suddenly the room lights turned off. The guy was embarrassed, but I thought it was a better way to show he was long-winded than if any of us interrupted him.

HU-227031627 thanked M Miller
  • 7 months ago

Not remotely interested.

Not trying to do TMI, but I was once in a bathroom at some restaurant and things took long enough awhile that the light went out. I had to feel around by feel to get out of the stall, as the sensor was over the sink area. (my cell phone was in the car.) NO NO NO! Where would you set the sensor? Just don't, and have it engrained to turn off lights by hand whenever you leave a space!

HU-227031627 thanked artemis_ma
  • 7 months ago

GIven the built-in obsolescence of everything, not the technical obsolescence even, just the idea that everything is made to fall apart and be replaced over and over now, I don't want anything that is not low tech if I can avoid it.

I just put a 67 year old cooktop in my kitchen. It has no electronics, no "technology" at all. You can take most of it apart by hand, and adjust anything that needs to be adjusted with a phillips head screwdriver and the clear, illustrated owner's manual. I wish I could have things like that all over my house.

HU-227031627 thanked palimpsest
  • 7 months ago

Sounds like a resounding no from people who know.

I thought it might be useful if your hands were dirty and you didn't want to touch a switch. That idea probably is only valid relative to water faucets. With lighting, people have already turned on the lights when they start their project, unlike when your hands get dirty in the midst of the project and you want to wash them.

Thank you all.

• 7 months ago

The solution to dirty hands and not wanting to touch a light switch is getting a rocker switch and hitting it with your elbow.

I have a weak immune system and wash my hands first thing when I get home before touching anything. (Hand washing when I get home has quite seriously changed my life and the amount that I get sick.) I don't want to touch a light switch with my dirty hands so I punch it on with my elbow.

Today I was at doctor's appointment and noticed the wheelchair auto door opener has changed from a huge grey metal square to a hand wave sensor. I can imagine that is much easier to use for people with accessibility issues. I also appreciated not having to hit it with my elbow.

HU-227031627 thanked Kendrah
  • 7 months ago

We have motion-sensor lights in our kitchen -- they were there when we bought the house. The lights don't turn off after x minutes, so that's good (they *do* turn off in the dining room and in the pantry, which is ANNOYING). But I don't like them at all -- if I'm going into the kitchen early in the morning to grab coffee, I do not want the lights turning on and blinding me. If I could figure out how to get rid of the motion sensor, I would.

ETA: Our two cats never set off the motion sensors in any of the lights. ;)

HU-227031627 thanked Emily R.
  • 7 months ago

We have motion-sensored lights in our pantry-laundry, and I LOVE THEM. That's the type of room where you always seem to enter with something in your hands, so it's convenient to have the lights come on automatically (we have only a 12x12 window over by the washer/dryer, and -- obviously -- at night we have no natural light.

I'm not quite sure I'd enjoy this in the kitchen. I have better natural light in there, and pretty frequently someone goes into the kitchen in the evening just for a drink or to use the garbage can ... and we don't necessarily need /want the light on for those small tasks. Our kitchen light reflects onto the TV, so we purposefully leave it off when no one's actively using the kitchen.

HU-227031627 thanked Theresa Peterson
  • 7 months ago

I installed Lutron MS-OPS2H motion sensor switches in the kitchen which has non-dimmable lights. I installed Lutron MSCL-OP153MH motion sensor dimmers in hallways which have dimmable LEDs. Both products have light sensors so they don't turn on the controlled lights when there is sufficient daylight. If you're installing one of these in the kitchen -- or any room for that matter -- make sure the switch does not face an adjacent hallway or a mirror that reflects into a hallway, or the light may turn on when you're just passing by.

HU-227031627 thanked wdccruise
  • 7 months ago

Morz8, the electrician looked at me like I was strange when I said i didn't want the exterior floodlights to be motion activated! They ordered some that had a plastic plug that can cover the sensor. We live in a safe area, I have dogs that run around the yard and foliage that gets moved by the breeze ... those darned light would be going on/off all night long! No thanks.

I do like to have the floodlights there for emergency use and have them wired to a couple of spots around the house so I can light them all up if there is something unusual going on outside.

HU-227031627 thanked chispa
  • 7 months ago

I bought these undercabinet lights for my daughter's rental kitchen. You can wave to turn them on, and they stay on until you wave them off. They also have a switch to turn them on and off. They are great for under the cabs, but I agree with those say no to general room lighting that turns off automatically.

BLACK+DECKER 3-Bar LED Under Cabinet Lighting Kit Cool White 3-Pack 9-in Plug-in LED Under Cabinet Light Bar Motion Sensing Light

HU-227031627 thanked iroll
  • 7 months ago

I don't touch any of my switches with my fingers. I use my elbow like Kendrah or my knuckle. Which is technically a finger part but one that is rarely dirty.

HU-227031627 thanked palimpsest
  • 7 months ago

Love this post! I’ve no interest in motion activated lights in my kitchen. My reading of many of the replies describing personal experiences with these lights made me laugh out loud! Thanks for that - I feel much better now! 😁

HU-227031627 thanked KW PNW Z8
  • 7 months ago

Great tip on the Black & Decker lights, iroll.

• 7 months ago

"I remember a particularly boring meeting, where one person droned on and on. As everyone was falling asleep, suddenly the room lights turned off."

I would have so bust out laughing at the guy were I there LOL!!

• 7 months ago

mxk3 z5b_MI: "suddenly the room lights turned off."

Sounds like the only way the lights would have stayed on is if the motion sensor had been able to sense heartbeats.

• 7 months ago

Re amusing poor motion sensor design: a relative was an icu fellow when a new hospital opened. ICUs are usually staffed overnight by residents, fellows and attendings on loooooong shifts, so they were all excited about the three very nice, private rooms provided for them right in the center of the unit. No more sprints across the hospital or from another floor from some dark cramped nasty room. Until one night when they actually had some time to get some sleep.....and discovered motion sensor lights had been installed and were sensitive enough to pick up every night time squirm. No rest until that got fixed.

HU-227031627 thanked G W
  • 7 months ago

I used to work in a building that had those. If I stayed late at the office (usually to work on a document or presentation), I’d have to wave my hands around every so often or the lights would go out. Very disconcerting.

HU-227031627 thanked theotherjaye
  • 7 months ago

Many say they don't like motion detected lighting because the lights will turn off when they don't want them to or they don't like them because they switch on when they walk into a room even when they don't want them on. However, I don't belive that is how these Novy lights function. You turn them on and off with a gesture of your hand. They are not on timers. Nor are they activated when you walk into a room.

So what would be the downsides of this particular type of light? That you do want them to turn on when you walk into a room and they don't until you walk up to the light and activate it by moving your hand? That you broke your collarbone and now can't turn on the lights in your kitchen?

HU-227031627 thanked HU-675849
  • 7 months ago

There are three Novy lights, Wall, Pendant, and Shelf. There is no traditional under-counter light. The Wall light attaches to the rear wall and is 3" high and 1" deep. The photo on the website DOES NOT show the light attached under a cabinet; the hand of the person gesturing to turn the light on and off has his hand directly under the light. This light is not IMO suitable for installation under a cabinet. The 36" Novy Wall 90 is 749 euro (~$790).

HU-227031627 thanked wdccruise
  • 7 months ago

Thank you wdccruise for the advice and for adding a price. So many of these things on the internet are shown without a price.