SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamelam19

Please help with kitchen design in open concept first floor living

Pamela Miles
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

Most refrigerators look to me like they stick out in the kitchen and I was looking for a way to hide mine in my kitchen remodel. Here’s an idea I came up with placing it sideways into what would be a cut out in my kitchen. On the opposite wall would be a built in pantry. Does anyone have experience with this type of layout? B

Comments (41)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    7 months ago

You’ll get plenty of exercise.

Pamela Miles thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Fori
    7 months ago

I would recess it into the wall but still have the doors facing into the kitchen. But why banish one appliance and not all of them? Especially when the refrigerator is the one that gets used by the largest number of people?

• Related Discussions

Please suggest colors for open concept: Kitchen, dining, living

Q

Comments (1)
    Look at BM Carrington Beige, BM Clay Beige, BM Edgecomb Gray
    ...See More

Please help design this open concept kitchen and living area !

Q

Comments (0)
    I am buying new furniture for this open concept kitchen and living. I want the result to feel cozy and functional. Any ideas? I am attaching pictures and measures. I like to have a table in the living room area where I can do crafts, work at my computer etc., I dont want it to be a space just with sofas and coffee/side tables. I am also sending this link because I think that a console table like the one in the picture might be a good way to separate my living-capeted area from my kitchen/tiled area. But if I do this in the living, what about the tiled/kitchen area? What would be a good use of it? It seems to me I would need a table there... https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-traditional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~18825494?share=clipboard Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    ...See More

Help with open concept living/dining/kitchen space in a long L shape

Q

Comments (3)
    The kitchen counter can actually have bar chairs and I would like to do that if space allows. The current owner had the sectional right up to the kitchen counter and I do NOT want to do that. Where is a better place for the tv than over the fireplace or should I keep it there? See pictures and dimensions of my sectional that I will use in the space.
    ...See More

Help with Furniture Layout - Open Concept (Kitchen/Dining/Living Room)

Q

Comments (3)
    If you want a TV in that room the only place it can really go is to the right of the fireplace (maybe to the left if you find that works better for you). It is never recommended to put it over the fireplace unless there is nowhere else for it to go. You have more than enough space on the right for a nice console. Maybe in the future you can do something more dramatic with the fireplace as it looks small in that large wall (or maybe you are already and it's not finished yet). Put a tall piece of art over it (something that is less wide than the fireplace). Face your sofa toward the fireplace and TV. The dining table should have the long side parallel to the slider. I can't imagine it fitting the other direction. I don't think it's a bad thing to have your old furniture in there for a while. It will help you get an idea of the right size for new pieces. You may also get better advice if you post a graph paper drawing of the space so the commenters know exactly how much space you're working with. The perspective in pictures is sometimes misleading.
    ...See More
  • M Miller
    7 months ago

That is a really inconvenient location. Who wants to go into a pantry every time they need to get something from the fridge? Nobody. If refrigerators look to you like "they stick out", you need to buy a fully-integrated fridge and have it paneled.

The cooktop on the island is not a good design choice either. Unless you plan on a powerful island hood that is 6" wider than the cooktop. Are you getting that?

Pamela Miles thanked M Miller
  • acm
    7 months ago

hoo boy, you're gonna get some reaction to this kitchen plan! how are you going to vent that cooktop? what's the other attached room -- laundry? mudroom?

yes, people put fridges in pantries, whether you make the pantry cabinets or just open shelves. all those doors sure chop up your kitchen! are you planning no door? most people these days put the fridge outside the work zone so that people aren't cutting through for a drink while you're cooking or doing other stuff there, and your placement guarantees maximum interruption! what rooms are adjacent on the open sides?

Pamela Miles thanked acm
  • Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks. I was trying to maximize the space with adding pantry to the opposite wall. We are doing a whole kitchen remodel, removing the divider wall with countertop that opens up into the living room. It’s an open concept floor plan and I’d like the back wall to be less busy. This is the current layout.

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

My friend has her cooktop in the island and I love the way she can entertain and face everyone while finishing up meal prep. They have a retractable in island vent system we intend to add to the back of the induction cooktop.

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

@acm yes, other doorway is entrance from garage mud room/laundry. I was going to ask designer to remove wall to fridge pantry area and just have it more open to kitchen. I don’t need to close that area off.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    7 months ago

Downdrafts are useless, and cooking is only 10% of the time you spend in your kitchen. Prep is 70%, and you don't have enough contiguous room, with a prep sink, on that island, to be a good prep zone. And while secondary refrigeration may be in a well ventilated and cooled pantry, primary refrigeration should be in the kitchen. There is a whole lot of other poor design exhibited in that. You really should be working with a knowledgeable kitchen designer.

Pamela Miles thanked DeWayne
  • Theresa Peterson
    7 months ago

Thoughts:

- Creating a recess into the pantry so your refrigerator doesn't "stick out" is a good idea. Do consider, though, that it must stick out far enough for the door to open.

- Consider that ideally you'd have a cabinet for glasses right next to the refrigerator. And that cabinet would also be within 1-2 steps of the dishwasher.

- Consider that you need a "landing spot" for your refrigerator; that is, a countertop where you can "set down" something you're about to put away or something you've just removed from the refrigerator.

- Arranging things so you must enter the pantry to access the refrigerator is a bad idea.

Pamela Miles thanked Theresa Peterson
  • Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

@theresapeterson thank you for the considerations! The “stick out” comment I made was referring to the way it looks i.e. big hunky block stainless steel. From measurements it will fit and open in the “alcove” with counter depth fridge. I have considered placing cabinet door over fridge (love that streamlined look) but I’ve heard there can be some issues with fridge cold temp wood “warping” type of thing? Also $$$. I’ve been monitoring my fridge use and habits. We put grocery bags on floor in front of fridge as husband thinks bottoms are dirty from store, doesn’t like placing on countertops. I think I could use countertop just to left on wall with uppers for items I’ll be removing from fridge (Imagine the pocket door removed from pantry area). I’m hearing a resounding no! re: refrigerator placement in alcove! Might have to go back to the drawing board!

• HU-574454193
    7 months ago

If you want a built in fridge, buy a built in fridge. But toss this whole thing in the trash. It is uworkable. Not just the fridge is dysfunctional. And expensive.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 months ago

Rather than post a drawing with no dimensions ?

Post the AS IS condition with every wall , window, passage, opening in exact feet and inches.

Your plan? Not great and no to the fridge locale.

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks @jan I’m new to this! Appreciate the suggestions and patience with my learning curve!

• just_janni
    7 months ago

There are things you can do to minimize the look of the Stainless Steel Hulk. Recessing is one, having side panels is another. The highest cost is going with a true built in - but a $12K fridge isn't an option for a lot of folks.

Don't put it in a pantry that will heat up, be awkward, not have sufficient space to load / unload in that small space etc.

I DO recommend posting as much as you can with dimensions and what you want to accomplish and ask for help.

There are AMAZING kitchen design folks here that do this as a "hobby" (bless them!) and will help you better than many paid kitcen designers. They will also be practical and cost effective and of course - are not tied to any brand or have any commissions on the line.

This is a big project and lots of $$$$ - pause and get it right. Whoever designed the layout you posted isn't doing you any favors or giving you the "tough love" you need.

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you @just_janni appreciate your encouragement and honest feedback. Also that your profile includes idea books so I can see your perspective! I did pay a contractor to do the “as built” layout (see above), and a designer to give me a 3D drawing (see below) and the cabinet layout sketches (above without measurements, and below with different pantry idea) were done by the kitchen cabinet designer that my contractor has used. I didn’t pay for those, but I do feel like I’m back to the drawing board now!

• tlynn1960
    7 months ago

My grandparent's (now owned by a cousin) farm kitchen (circa 1892) has a similar adjacent fridge/pantry set up. You enter through a door way at ninety degrees from the end of the sink cabinet run and the fridge and pantry area is a second smaller room. This part of the house was added on perhaps in the 30s-40s (well before my time) and while it was adequate for a rural, working farm "back in the day," it's definitely not a feature I would want to replicate in a modern construction home. I recall it was a bottleneck when retrieving virtually any food item.

Pamela Miles thanked tlynn1960
  • PRO
    Rabbitt Design
    7 months ago

Looks like you are using Home Designer or Chief Architect. Please post the .plan file (save the file, it natively saves as .plan, and then share it through a cloud based link) and I can add dims that would be usable for everyone. We ask for dims so we can scale and recreate your drawing, so a camera shot of your screen doesn't work all that well :)

Pamela Miles thanked Rabbitt Design
  • AnnKH
    7 months ago

Oh my! That "design" you posted was not done by a person who knows anything at all about kitchen. First, no one would put island seating in the working aisle - especially not in front of the fridge! Second, a 29" aisle (more like 25" or less, with doors, handles, and counter overhang) is completely ridiculous. Third, pointing out that there isn't room for a range - without actually including a range anywhere - is plain silly.

Now back to your kitchen. What are your goals for the remodel? So far we know that you want to open it up (more than it already is), and you don't want to fridge to be prominent.

What do you like best about the current kitchen, and what do you like the least? How many cooks in the family, and do you cook/entertain often?

Do you need more/more efficient storage? More efficient prep space? Do you currently sit at the island, and is that something you want in the new kitchen?

Pamela Miles thanked AnnKH
  • Fori
    7 months ago

Another way to reduce the visual bulk of a fridge is to put it on the wall that doesn't face everybody. With your opened up space, some walls will be face-on view and others will be on the side. That's where you'd put your fridge.

Pamela Miles thanked Fori
  • just_janni
    7 months ago

Some good points already - and any kitchen design that doesn't show all the working bits is suspect. You need oven(s), cooktop (or range) and ventilation. it's easy to make tings clean and simple if you leave out the appliances that actually do the work of cooking. ;-)

Pamela Miles thanked just_janni
  • Hannah
    7 months ago

It wouldn’t be my first choice, but it’s been suggested as an option on Houzz before. Scroll to the bottom to see the ‘final’ suggestion. Not saying it’s the best option in your case, but it’s not a complete non-option if there are other restraints.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6399705/kitchen-layout-uncertainty

Pamela Miles thanked Hannah
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    7 months ago

We toured a house with a kitchen like this a decade ago. The realtor asked us what we thought and I said 'there is no refrigerator in the kitchen' she pointed out the fridge in the adjacent room and I reiterated there was no fridge IN the kitchen.

Sorry but start over. Or give us plans with dimensions so we can help you. This is about to be a hugely expensive project with the wall removal, all new floors, etc. It might as well turn out the best it can be. I don't know if the cabinet person just did what you asked for or if this is the best they can do but it is not good. That Island is too big and the stove in it is just bad for a myriad of reasons. Fridge has to be in the kitchen. You have plenty of space to have a great kitchen.

Pamela Miles thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 months ago

Nobody can tell what's going on here........

Despite this is HORRIBLE?! beyond description...

Go back, and add ever single window, wall, door dimension in exact inches. Don't bother with the island on the drawing, just the perimeter.

( I'd like to KNOW how you hang a mirror above a half wall...........?

Whatever. It's

easier to read, so start with inches on this.

Perimeter allll only. Bold

Pamela Miles thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    RappArchitecture
    7 months ago

I'd venture that the refrigerator is the most used appliance in the kitchen. Putting it in its own room is a very bad idea. There are lots of ways to conceal fridges without banishing them from the main work space. Your layout needs to be seriously rethought.

Pamela Miles thanked RappArchitecture
  • Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I think I'll start over with a new post and as @Rabbitt Design suggests, (and if I can figure out how to do it) upload the as built drawing with full dimensions and ask for suggestions from those of you willing to share your expertise. The contractor who I paid to do the drawings only sent me a dwg file and a pdf and told me most designers know how to open the dwg file using their CAD software. I have no idea as I don't have the software and ever designer I sent it to says they can't read it. I will also take @just_janni suggestions and include my desires for the space, and with everyone's generous help, perhaps I can actually find a design that will work for us! Thanks!

• PRO
    Rabbitt Design
    7 months ago

Post the dwg

• PRO
    Quicklok Cabinets
    7 months ago

Just post a clear, hand drawn plan. That you measured and drew yourself. That is enough to get started. The act of measuring and writing engages the brain with more spatial awareness than trying to create electronic plans.

Pamela Miles thanked Quicklok Cabinets
  • AnnKH
    7 months ago

And just add the new information to this post - it's less confusing than starting a new one.

Pamela Miles thanked AnnKH
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 months ago

IMO a counter depth fridge does not protrude into the kitchen and I think a kitchen is awork space and it does not bother me to see the fridge I do not like the door to be cluttered with water and ice but a nice clean looking door in not intrusive . I have an all fridge all freezer unit with a built in kit I run a catering biz from my home so need the extra size I do not think it is ugly at all . BTW I dislike wlk in pantries and for sure would not want a fridge in one . I agree a to scale floor plan is the best way to design a kitchen

Pamela Miles thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Current layout of kitchen and entry area, the last photo is an open floor plan view of LR to deck. Notice ceiling heights vary throughout the house. 15' at highest down to 8' at soffits.

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Current layout mud/laundry room - enters into kitchen with pocket door. Cabinets are basically useless.

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Primary Bath

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Design DesiresWall between entry and kitchen: remove and replace with half wall, to define entry? Height, length? Placement on right side of small window in kitchen to enhance entry and light?Need bench/seat for guests out of way of swing of door. Do we put cabinets, pantry or prep area on kitchen side?

Laundry room layout - take back of pantry out and square off for more room add stackable washer dryer, sink with cabinet storage, small seat, flooring suggestions?

Pantry - where do we locate? Less deep shelves so we can see and reach everything

Kitchen cabinet and appliance placement - would like a "Drop zone" for keys and charger drawer for phone, "Breakfast" area (coffee maker, electric tea kettle), hid juicer, vitamix, induction cooktop, maybe down vent instead of hood? microwave drawer, hide refrigerator (cabinetry or less visible placement, size and scope of island, pull out garbage, recycle, compost bin area, lighting, window treatment, tie in wood floors to whole house

Move DR table into "office" - remove current office built in's, build new library wall and wallpaper. Space will occassionally double as a workspace with laptop.

Bar in LR - between windows closest to kitchen, small sink, glass uppers, same cabinets as island to contrast with perimeter cabinet color?

Fireplace wall - highlight fireplace by removing the TV nook, bring wall back to the bedroom wall, mount tv on wall above fireplace (not too high!). Dark stone floor to ceiling around fireplace, new "hearth" in floor.

LR Slider - new 9' or larger slider, and ideas on how to maximize bringing in light and view, drapery ideas

Replace stair rail - light - see-through, modern, maybe steel, wire, wood?

Primary Bath - new fixtures, 70" - 74" free-standing double vanity with round sinks same location, lighting - remove soffit, 2 mirrored medicine cabinets, built-in tub 17" high with hand wand, less deep ledge in the shower, larger shower frameless or one sheet of glass, add hand wand, horizontal drain, heated floor

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Link to existing floor plan dimensions.Golden Renovations

• PRO
    Rabbitt Design
    7 months ago

From what I can figure here is the As built dimensioned kitchen :PDF

• Pamela Miles
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you so much for the detailed pdf @Rabbitt Design!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 months ago

Do you love this home............location, school if applicable, ENOUGH to throw the 400k at it to accomplish your total wish list?

Walls, electrical, plumbing, flooring, lighting, appliances, primary bath.....et ALLLLL?

I only ask, as there are some architects who should be taken to a woodshed and beaten senseless. Usually......? It is those who provide gigantic clipped corners at nearly every turn, to squeeze in that which does not really fit well - courtesy of a narrow lot. Relative to the house, your wish list is huge. Criticizing the build is not a critique of you, or your desire to have what you want to have.

Are there kids?

Will there BE kids

Can the laundry go down stairs.

Can you spare two feet in the garage

But the Brutal Truth is:

If you posted this floor plan as a NEW build? A thousand inky voices would scream......Start Over.

I'd think long and hard on the entire wish list. : ) Sorry.

Pamela Miles thanked JAN MOYER
  • kaseki
    7 months ago

"A thousand inky voices ..." Superb, Jan.

At the risk of redundancy with the near myriad threads here relating to ventilation and other topics, my advice is:

• Do not attempt construction without a complete plan for cooktop ventilation
    • Do not attempt construction without a complete plan for make-up air ventilation
    • Do not fail to appreciate how much harder (expensive) it is to properly ventilate an island/peninsula cooktop than a wall cooktop, and this includes the relatively simple case of an 8-foot ceiling with an attic above
    • Do not fail to recognize that the greater the aesthetic style, the greater the penalty in hood performance and/or hood cost
    • Performance, aesthetics, economical cost: Pick two or trade among them once sufficiently informed
    • Canopy hoods will provide the best performance as they are closest to commercial hood configurations; in all cases (except where side curtains/skirts are used) they must overlap the cooking zone by the width of the expanding cooking plumes
    • A lot of information is here on how to determine desirable performance parameters
    • Measure 5 times, order cabinets once; know the verticality of each wall surface; fill strips are your friend
    • Take into account door opening directions of appliances
    • Be sure you know exactly how your sink/plumbing fixtures and cooktop will interact with their respective cabinet dimensions including sufficient support
    • Plan your lighting ahead; ensure adequate illuminance (lumens per square meter) on all surfaces taking into account your visual needs at your anticipated age at the end of this kitchen's lifetime; try to avoid self-shadowing
    • Planning and resulting design are recursive. For each version, imagine yourself performing different tasks and evaluate whether there are design details that can be refined to improve efficiency
    Pamela Miles thanked kaseki
  • loobab
    7 months ago

If you are going to have children, or will have young grandchildren visiting, I would not have a cooktop on an island, it is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, how long will you be in this house? If forever, I would avoid the twists and turns a lot of little rooms and nooks and crannies will cause you. Straight runs of cabinetry will be much easier for you in the long run for example, than a pantry.

If you don't like the look of stainless steel, get panels that match your cabinetry to cover the refrigerator and dishwasher and ovens.

I would only make an exception for things you really only use very occasionally, for example, if you are really "Perle Mesta," you might have rather than a pantry, a party closet for all those sets of china and silver and table linens you've inherited and collected.

Or maybe you really do live in the boondocks and only shop occasionally because of the distance to stores and have to shop for food in huge quantities, so in addition to having a weeks worth of of food in the kitchen, you want to have two months worth of food in a pantry, so you do need a food pantry.

I am a bit compulsive about cleaning supplies and I think every room with a sink needs a closet for a mop and broom and bucket and aprons and cloths and cleaning supplies. I don't want supplies carried through the house to possibly drip and cause a bleaching of a rug or the wood.

That would be a greater financial loss that having extra sets of cleaning supplies everywhere!

Pamela Miles thanked loobab
  • awm03
    7 months ago

My concern is about shoehorning a big bulky appliance into a small space. Getting it in, removing, or repairing might be a problem if there isn't good room for two people & a sizeable hand truck to maneuver. I mention this because fridges are notorious for parts failure & other issues. How easily could a service person pull out that fridge to check the compressor? Also I've become a stickler for annually pulling out the fridge, unplugging, blowing out dust from the coils/compressor, cleaning out drain tubes, & letting the fridge sit for 24 hours to melt any hidden ice build up (if any). The small space would make that routine maintenance hard to do

Pamela Miles thanked awm03