SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

very aggressively root pruning a couple large Picea abies?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

Roughly 10 years ago I created a new series of beds surrounding some of the oldest trees of my property, a couple Picea abies. They were maybe around the low 40s when I bought the house and now 18 years later seem to be getting close to 55'. (I have roughly estimated using a professional trimmer pole with extension that I have) They are in a lower part of my yard, but overall, my soil is well draining. It obviously wasn't so wet for them to even show a little dieback in those early years, that featured incredibly flooding rains like those from Hurricane Irene in 2011. Still I decided to experiment with making raised beds of pure course sand, because I'd realized at this point how cheap it is (or I should say, was!) to have dump trucks of course builders sand delivered. And I had a front end loader to move it. I felt that if I planted rhododendrons on grade, although ok for the Picea abies, they might drown. Important note: these beds radiated out from the 2 spruces in a roughly starfish like pattern. The biggest is maybe 3' or 4' X 10'.

So here's the issue. The rhododendrons have never drowned, other than a couple particularly root rot sensitive varieties that wouldn't have survived on ANY substrate around here. A few grew quite well: ESPECIALLY ON THE TIPS OF THE STARFISH LEGS. But the issue emerging is this: the closer to the Picea abies they are, the more root competition they've faced, and they will barely grow no matter how much water or fertilizer I give them. Those mounds of sand? Within only a few years and I mean 2 or 3, tops, the spruce roots aggressively started coming up from below, so to speak, to start using it as root zone and probably suck out the food or water I was giving the rhodies (which mind you, of course don't need a lot, but pure sand is very nutrient deficient! of course they have always been mulched with hardwood chips, which are now breaking down into an organic layer.

About 2 years ago, as an experiment, I maneuvered my then new backhoe into a slot between starfish legs, and tore up the roots of the spruce at the base of one of the legs. A little Rhododendron 'Black Widow' that had truly struggled for at least 7 years, finally perked up a bit and looked like it might start growing again.

Now I'm debating about going to the base of every 'starfish leg' with something like this https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment-rental/earth-moving/12-or-13-walk-behind-trencher/0370005/ and just chopping the hell out of the spruce roots. I know there's a risk in doing this...but a couple points: the starfish 'legs' are only 2/3rd of the 'pie' around the spruces. Also, there will still be least 8' from the trunks to where I'm cutting. And finally, I plan to not cut the areas between the sand mounds, so not every radial root of the spruces will be cut.

Personally I am 95% sure they will be fine, and will just slow down their growth for a few years, which will allow the rhododendrons to catch up. But...I have that 5%, 'hhhmmm maybe this could be a bad idea' so that's why I'm posting this question!

Here is a visualization: the orange blobs are the mounds of sand (it's only about 4" deep), and the blue lines are where I want to make cuts. 2 of the starfish legs as you can see, were more round than long. IIRC I started running out of sand. The idea was for each mound to be shared by 2-3 rhododendrons.

Comments (10)