SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

'After' photos (sort of) and a couple questions

greenhaven
11 years ago

Got most of my pot ghetto in the ground, finally, much to my relief. It will be so much easier to give them the care they need in this droughty year.

These are "sort of after" because I am not done mulching yet. I only mulched around the individual plants with some mulch I had left over from a job. I intend to do the whole bed in pine park nuggets.

There is a LOT of space left over, my babies look tiny. I keep reminding myself that I gave myself all this room so I would have somewhere to put impulse buys or planned buys when I find a deal or whatever.

On to my questions:

1. A couple of these conifers are pretty potbound, as is common, I understand. I did not do any surgery on them at all, major OR minor. It is hot and I know better than to stress them more. So am I to bareroot them come late Fall and do my root-pruning then? If my thinking is correct then I will unearth them, bareroot them, and create a healthy root structure before re-planting them.

What is the proper timing for this in northern Illinois?

2. Upon planting I found a tag for my Picea abies that read 'Pumila' for the cultivar and not 'Nidiformis like I thought. I am not sure why I thought it was 'Nidiformis' other than maybe I was debating plant material quality at the nursery and chose this one instead.

Can anyone tell the difference? Pic below.

3. My Picea omorika 'Pimoko' just as suddenly STOPPED defoliating as it started. I have not done anything at all to treat it, although the nursery told the retailer they thought phomopsis blight. I was going to treat it with a fungicide, but then didn't know which to use.

a. Can I use the same Bayer fungicide I would use on perennials (like roses with blackspot?) or is there a specially indicated fungicide for conifers?

b. I pruned back all the defoliated material, and it does not look TOO bad. It looks great from the "front" actually and has been pushing some new growth over the last couple days. I have hope it will live. It IS deformed, though. Will this ever fill in at all over time? Or should I disguise the scarred side with a rock or other plants? Pic below.

4. I need some verticality in this space, and I am also interested in some gold or bright green cultivars. I LOVE Platycladus orientalis 'Morgan', the form, texture and color, but not sure I will find one around here. I am much more fond of a chartreuse color than a bright gold. I need something that will be tall enough to help with height transition between the big pine and the little ones, but not so that it will overwhelm my bed.

I am also looking for some suggestions for things that will do fine with sporadic shade and bright-but-near-constant-shade.

Any suggestions?

I think that's it, for now. I am, frankly, not very impressed with the bed as it is, but know I will likely be moving stuff around and doing some rockscaping. I am chock full of ideas and somewhat short on focus. :o/

Alas, it was a terrible time of day for photography, but it is enough to get the general idea across, eh?

"Front" of P. omorika 'Pimoko'

"Back"

Picea abies...'Nidiformis?' or 'Pumila?'

Picea parviflora 'Kin-Po' I loved him so much in the pot, but am ambivalent in the ground. Why is that, do you think? Very pretty in of himself, but there is something about the placement, I guess....

Comments (20)