SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liam_coyle70

Just moved in, how can I make my bedroom glow?

Liam Coyle
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Heyo! As per the title, I just moved into a new place and am starting from ground zero with furniture. Super stoked to be able to make it my own space, however, am struggling to come to a decision on the overall design.

Apologies in advance for the quality of the photos and general clutter. I would retake them in the daylight but I don't think the carpet and doors are going to look any better. The curtains will also not be staying :)

The third and fourth photos will be the most helpful as they showcase the materials already in the room and the general color palette I'm currently hoping to use. In general, I'm looking to incorporate a ton of houseplants (have south and east-facing windows up in Wyoming so will have decent natural light) and use copper accents. Looking to get into crafting/metalworking and will be starting with copper so any DIY ideas are more than welcome! Have been flirting with the idea of stenciling the wall and doing some kind of aged copper headboard but I'm not convinced they would fit with the carpet.

The dimensions of the room are 135" x 161" and I'd love to decide on a design soon so I can order a bed and start sleeping in there, lol. Given the size of the room, the bed is going to be the centerpiece so I'm having a bit of an analysis paralysis in choosing the exact kind of style.

One fun aspect of the room that's worth mentioning is the interconnected (i.e. no interior walls) cubbies above the closet which could allow for some fun houseplant layouts. I'm planning to take off the doors and have some sort of cascading plant(s) but am open to all ideas of how to utilize the space!

Let me know what you all think and please feel free to ask any questions!

Comments (59)

• Liam Coyle
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Here's a crude floorplan for those that it would help :)

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

Not "crude"at all. Nicely done. What do you need in the room beside a bed? Do you need a dresser (how big?) Do you need a desk/work table? Do you need a TV? Do you have a preference for where your bed is located?

I think your rug and wall color are fine, and will go great with copper and plants.

• Related Discussions

How would I turn a 3 bedroom into a 4 bedroom?

Q

Comments (29)
    I know you will hate me for this, but please understand my view point. I am an old house LOVER! I also spent twenty years as a banker trying to talk people into understanding that their future home purchase had to be about love....and practicality. When you are in love with a house you think that the fact that it slapped around the last owners was likely because they were bad owners...they probably deserved it because they didn't do the maintenance you would do to keep it in check. You justify the little issues like the third eye as something minor instead of realizing that a third eye is not actually a normal thing and will require some seriously expensive custom lenses. You turn a wet basement into a couple puddles.... Ten years,..no lets make it five if you get the house....if you find that my pessimistic attitude was totally incorrect and your home turned out to be perfect beyond compare...please tell me I am wrong so I can learn a lesson. But if on the other hand my gazillion years of trying to make people understand that they should buy a home they love....but should equally involve their brains and heart in the equation turns out to make some sense in your potential chris brown like situation.....well be sure to share that valuable experience as well so that others can learn from you...and make light of your experience because "that will never happen to them". I tried to buy the egg and I farm as a young wife ohhhhh so many years ago thinking that a house with walls falling down and a tree growing in the living room just needed our tender and inexperienced care to bring it back.....the bank laughed...thank god!
    ...See More

Moving forward with my bedroom

Q

Comments (15)
    oh gosh, now I'm confused. At first I was thinking that I would go with the straight bottom to match the tailored bedskirt, but then I remembered the bottom of my matelasse is scalloped. Does that change your mind as to which I should go with. It's hard to tell from my inspiration picture, but I'm not sure she has the wide rod at the top of the valance. Do you like the wide rod or should I go with a smaller one? Do you think she just used a small round one? Laurie
    ...See More

How do I arrange my bedroom?

Q

Comments (9)
    I feel for you- our bedrooms are somewhat odd in that they can only be arranged in certain ways, due to doors, windows, etc. It almost feels like the room dictates what you have to do with it :( I've made a point of just working with the most practical layout. How much "closet stuff" do you have? Clothes and other items that you would want to store in an enclosure. I have to agree with annkh_nd that you would just be moving the storage around with the bed in the closet. It also looks like by moving the bed into the closet you lose your nightstands? Could you put a dresser or other chest of drawers in one side of the closet? Then hang short stuff over the drawer unit in the closet, longer stuff on the other side? How about a small storage unit of some kind on either side of the door off the foot of the bed? Would you have enough room at the foot of the bed if you were to put other pieces there? How about storage under the bed? Either in a platform that has drawers/cabinets in it, or in the form of under bed boxes? When DH and I lived in a small rental unit, we ended up putting our full sized bed against one of the walls. I didn't mind sleeping between DH and the wall, and generally got up after he did at that time. If I got up earlier, I would just go off the foot of the bed. Personally, I'd prefer the bed against the wall, to only having a narrow foot or so on the side that felt like a chasm.
    ...See More

Can I convert my 3 bedroom house to a 4 bedroom house and is it worth

Q

Comments (8)
    Check on an appraisers forum to see if there would be any difference in value. Unless you are getting cash for the sale or a large down payment from the buyer the appraisal will be the determining factor if you actually get more at the sale. If you do this change, do it for yourself and not for resale. If you do this change, make sure you don't make the current floorplan dysfunctional as that will take value away. If you are using the exact same square footage and not adding any, then it is doubtful that your home would add value but you would need to get twin sales in the area to see how much, if anything, is added to the value. It may open up the buyer pool and sell more quickly though. As the others mentioned consulting with a couple of Realtors in your area would help you get a handle on the current market.
    ...See More
  • mytwo cents
    8 months ago

what's your idea for bed clothes to go with your carpet and walls?

This last one comes in about 20 different colors

something else?

• dan1888
    8 months ago

If you're on a budget start with used sources first. Goodwill Industries of Wyoming - Goodwill Wyoming Home . Look on Facebook Marketplace. Check for estate sales in your area. Get on a notification list.

• Liam Coyle
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Amazing questions that are getting me thinking. I would absolutely love to have a book nook with a desk/workbench of sorts and am thinking about getting a dresser/display for more plants. The closet is big enough for everything I own so the dresser would be mainly for vanity unless you think there's a better option.

With that in mind, I really don't have a preference for the bed placement although I'd love something queen-sized. Think I'm going to get an affordable mattress and frame and try to incorporate some DIY stuff to keep it cheap (as per the above recommendations). I would love to be able to look at things in my room and feel like I had a hand in creating them as they are.

As for bedclothes, your photos got me thinking. Overall, I'm looking to experiment with my house plant selection and use as many locally native plants as possible (a lot of them will likely not work indoors but we'll see what happens). Think shrubland/forested mountains/etc. However, there's a local iconic canyon that has a really cool riparian habitat which also offers a lot more possibilities when it comes to plant options. The canyon also has some really iconic rock features with oxidized manganese and iron that look like they're dripping down the face as shown below. Their colors are close enough to the fixed materials I have (i.e. carpet, walls, and doors) to make me think it might be a good idea to try and incorporate it through the bedclothes. After all, if I'm trying to make the room an homage to Wyoming with the plants, I would love to try to do it with the furniture as well.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have bedclothes similar to the pattern on the rock or would it be noisy with the carpet design?

With this new direction (i.e. trying to venerate Wyoming as much as possible within the room), what interior decorating styles might come to mind that would also complement the fixed materials of the room (i.e. carpet, walls, and doors)? I would love the room to feel like you're stepping back outside and simultaneously offer refuge to stow away and read or work on crafts, like a hideaway, perhaps.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

Your choice but were it me I would put the head of the bed on the left wall of the drawing, and I would probably put a work table area on the other wall.

It will be very easy to find the natural sandstone and canyon colors in your photo in bedding, and it would look very nice in your room. You are probably eventually going to need more than one blanket, so I think if you build layers using the colors in your photo, you will end up with that feeling. You might not need a print.

so you can keep an eye out to pick up things here and there, light and dark, using natural tones and materials with texture over a basic layer to end up with an earthy look. And you could have a sky blue layer with blue sheets or blue pillowcases

The one right above is from Amazon for $45 and you can also find prints like the one below on Amazon for those prices.

I think if you have curtains in a sand color that is close to the color of the walls it will help keep a feeling of openess. And it won't distract from all the art you are going to create for the walls. I would do short curtains rather than full length because you might want to put a storage chest on the floor under the window or a place for plants. But be sure to measure the windows top to bottom.

I don't know what kind of stores are near where you are but it is usually easy to find curtains like this at Target, Home Depot, etc., and definitel check out the clearance bins. The ones above are $25 from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Blackout-Curtains-Darkening-Insulated-Treatment/dp/B098D3FMQJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=26QJMPIU066Z9&keywords=sand%2Bcolor%2Bwide%2Bcurtains&qid=1693995701&s=home-garden&sprefix=sand%2Bcolor%2Bwide%2Bcurtains%2Cgarden%2C98&sr=1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

one more thing -- a sturdy folding table from someplace like Home Depot or Amazon is often about $30 or less, depending on size. So if you can't easily find something right away second hand, that will get you by until you do, (and if you feel like it you can add a $10 tablecloth)

But the plastic surface of a folding table might be easy to work with and keep clean if you are tending to plants.

• Kendrah
    8 months ago

I lived on a meek budget and rented for much of my life until recently. My best schemes evolved over time and without tons of planning. They came about through AHA! finds on the curb, in thrift stores, at yard sales, and the craigslist free section. You have a great list of colors, materials, and textures you loke. Let the world of second hand items be your oyster!

My friend who lives on a shoestring budget is plant obsessed. She has found in the trash and at Goodwill really gorgeous vintage wooden ironing boards and uses them all over her home to hold loads of houseplants. (I used to do the same for displaying art. Once you get a thing for ironing boards you start to find them for free everywhere!)

What if you got an ironing board and spray painted it with metallic copper spray paint? I think the green leaves would pop against it to great effect. Be careful, ironing board collecting can become addictive!

Purchase a bed and metal frame within your budget. Find an MCM headboard you can prop against the wall behind it. (They can be expensive even on Facebook market place.) You can also prop up any number for things behind your bed to look like a head board - a door hinged sideways comes to mind.

I would not get a dresser. Sounds like you don’t need it. Do you need a table or desk for working at or being on a laptop? If so, start looking for freebies. If not, I say go for just a bed, nightstands and lamps, and an abundance of plants.

• Kendrah
    8 months ago

Ok, I know I just commented, but here are some other inspirations.

1. I'd go for all white bedding. If you want your room to glow, white bedding will really reflect the light surround your plants and splashes of copper with a glow.

2. Post for a very easy DIY headboard on Apartment Therapy.

3. YouTube video for DIY pipe head and foot board. Spray paint it copper?

4. The below pics show lots of ways to arrange plants in bedrooms. I like the idea of floating your headboard away from the wall a bit and having tall floor plants coming out from behind your bed. (Mind you houseplants in general creep me out and I could never have one in my bedroom, but for someone who loves them, this is a way to be enveloped!)

• Liam Coyle
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Absolutely love the idea of displacing the bed from the wall to envelope it more, thank you so much!

• Liam Coyle
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Let me know if anyone has any insight on the rock wall color pattern and how it might look with the carpet :)

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

made for each other

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

Soooooo, here's a bed set from Amazon for about $50

https://www.amazon.com/Ylehoc-Ultra-Soft-Breathable-Microfiber-All-Seasons/dp/B09VGNDSK6/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1ZGOTDSMEQ092&keywords=gray%2C%2Bblack%2C%2Bbrown%2Bbedspread&qid=1694027425&sprefix=gray%2Bbrown%2Bbedspread%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-16&th=1

It's often the case that in September and October the huge big box stores and old department stores mark down a lot of households goods as Clearance because they need to start freeing up space to put Christmas items on the shelves. You can sometimes end up finding new pillowcases, towels and curtains for $5 or $2, a floor lamp for $10. No guarantees but if you are passing by stores like that in the next few weeks and have the time, could be worthwhile to check out.

• Emily
    8 months ago

I love your color selection. Here's a couple of my favorite bedroom pics with those colors. Paint your room a green and add lots of color on the bedding. You can find cheap digital prints online for wall decor. It'll look great with the trailing plants you want to have.

• PRO
    SOLID FORM DESIGN
    8 months ago

I wouldn't recommend that specific mountain pattern on the bedding but you can find similar ripple or seismic wave effect patterns that might be a little more subtle. I'm attaching an example of a neo-constructivst painting that has "mountains" but would look nice on bedding. You can pull from those colors in your photo and put them in your room. The one you showed can become too busy and get lost with the carpet. You need lots of soft (light) shades of beige, taupe, ivory, greens, even light navy blue would brighten the dull carpet up. A nice rug would do this. As well as plants, copper finishes etc.

You want a Queen size bed, Will you be the only one sleeping on it (loaded question- I know) meaning occupant wise? Regardless if you want a Queen you can get a queen just remember there will be limitations to where you can place it because of the windows and doors blocking the walls. Your windows look high up so a low headboard might fit.

It's recommended usually to not have the bed facing the door and the windows obstructing the headboard. Not a requirement but tends to be a "harmony" or " feng shui" type habit.

Aesthetically, it looks better too.

The style you seem to like for this room is a mixture of country/farmhouse and "earthy/au naturel" style.

Look up earthy or organic style interior design. Although it's "new" to terms you can find similarities to MCM and japandi/scandinavian. Country style interiors (like the woods in Wyoming) also use lots of rustic woods, thick shiplap, molding, and warm tone colors. You can also look up organic interiors. The use of warm browns, greens and soft ivories is up your creek.

Below the mountain paintings, I found a copper print wallpaper that might not be your thing now that I carefully read what you said you envision your room to be...but the idea of bringing in copper through other items (not just headboard) might resonate with you. Last photo is a rich shade of jewel green that I think would look beautiful in this room.

Liam Coyle thanked SOLID FORM DESIGN
  • Emily
    8 months ago

Normally I'm not big on patterned bedding, but you're in an apartments so have some fun with it. Society 6 has a lot of fun bedding like the one I show. Color scheme is a bit different but it does micmic the mountain pic that you posted. Use pillows, lamps, wall hangings and other accessories to add texture. Thift shopping can be a great way to pick up lamps and accessories for cheap.

• Emily
    8 months ago

With carpet:

• Liam Coyle
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you, all, again!! Every one of these replies is amazing. Absolutely love the neo-constructivist painting style for the bedclothes and these different color suggestions. Going to ask my painting friends if they have a good idea of how we might be able to dye a white duvet to that effect to keep costs low. Otherwise, please let me know if anyone has a DIY idea of how to get similar results.

Feeling good about colors and textures, next up is the layout.

Here's the current floor plan that I have in mind. Does anyone know of some kind of free render program? Would love to see what it would actually look like without having to make shotty drawings in Google Sheets (also want to play around with different curtains).

The biggest issue I'm having is what to design around. Is the bed going to be too distracting if it isn't the centerpiece? I figured if I did the floating headboard and enveloped it with plants it wouldn't demand too much attention. I would much rather have your eyes naturally wander to different focal points in the room instead of being focused on one thing or being generally overwhelmed. I'm also hoping the plants will offer a good buffer between the different zones (e.g. bed vs. study) With that said, I'm not too sure if this layout would be as balanced as I would like it to be. It follows that I'm not entirely sure where to put a rug in the current floor plant. In any case, these are the final furniture pieces that I'm likely to get (with the exception of adding a ton of plants, a rug, maybe some more lamps, and wall art). Please feel free to suggest other pieces you think would be a good fit though! The only placement that I feel partial about is having the desk/workbench in front of one of the windows.

To answer the bed question, I'm single and not entirely partial to a queen although I do like the extra room. A full-sized could save a few bucks and space but I'm also curious how something like a twin could open up the room in terms of layout possibilities. I would say that having at least a full-sized mattress is as close to a requirement as it gets but not necessarily a dealbreaker (i.e. could be convinced of getting a twin, it worked in college, after all).

Let me know what you all think! Stoked to hear what you have to say :)

• Paul F.
    8 months ago

You have a good eye, @emily. Your favorite bedrooms are now my favorite bedrooms. :P

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

There is really not much advantage to having a full instead of a queen, and it is often really hard to find bedding for full-sized beds.

My only concern about your layout is Wyoming winters and how good your windows are in keeping out cold. My concern is for both you and the plants. I have sometimes slept in rooms where beds were right under windows or pressed against outside walls, and I definitely felt the cold when it was cold. You can help stay warmer by getting thermal curtains. Ones that go all the way to the floor offer more protection that ones that just skirt the window sill.

For around your desk/bookshelf/chair area you might keep your eye out for a 2 or 3 -headed floor lamp to make it easier to read in the chair. and work at the desk.

This lamp above is from Lowes at about $50. Lamps can be really infuriatingly more-than-you-feel-like-spending, so this is definitely a fingers-crossed-for-the-clearance section item. But one cheap option that can be really useful is LED clamp-lamps that are rechargeable (USb) and that you can move around really easily or they have goosenecks to twist around. You can clamp it to a table edge or a bookshelf. You can also dim them or change the tone of the light from warm to cool. They are usually between $12-15 on Amazon, and you can probably find them at the same price or less at Home Depot, Staplles or whatever is in Wyoming that sells stuff to working people and students and artists.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

PS: If you are thinking of a DIY bookcase, this might work for you. Use pipes, boards and a box to make a combo book shalf and coffee table. You can find plenty of instructions on YouTube about how to use ordinary pipe to create shelving. Think about adding a box at the bottom that is positioned so you can also use it for a coffee table (and save yourself the cost of buying a coffee table for your chair.)

Here's a model to copy, and you just need have the top of the box be as high and deep as what's comfortable for you to use like a coffee table, The unit leans agaisnt the wall so it is stable. Just be sure to account for that when you make it so the shelves are level to the ground.

• Emily
    8 months ago

Thanks, Paul.

• apple_pie_order
    8 months ago

During winter in Wyoming, put the bed on an interior wall. It makes a huge difference in warm comfort, especially in older houses that are not as well insulated as new ones. In the spring, you can move the bed to an exterior wall for the summer.

• Emily
    8 months ago

I think your layout is a bit awkward with all of the furniture you have. I'm showing a rendering of how you have it laid out (furniture will be different, but you get the idea) and then another layout showing the bed not at an angle. I didn't include the coffee table as that was too much furniture. Can that be stored elsewhere? It's shown with a queen bed so you'd have a bit more room with a full.

or this layout.....

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

I agree with apple pie order that the head of the bed should be on an interior wall for long cold winter comfort. For myself, I would also prefer to wake up and see the windows rather than have them behind my head. And I would like to be able to read and work by the windows and not have to sit on the bed.

There is room to put the bed on the right wall, which to me also has the visual advantage of entering the room and mainly seeing the furnished work and relax space, and the bed is merely something to walk past.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

excuse my finger painting!

bed is on right wall with a corner nightstand/table plus lamp tucked into upper corner

Desk is centered on left wall window, Next to it is a floor lamp (yellow black squiggle). Next to that is a brown reading chair.

I put a slender book case on the "bottom" wall, next to the closet, but there is probably room to put it on the left wall behind the reading chair. There would be room, I think, to bring the reading chair further forward into the room while leaving ample walking space and not feeling cramped.

• PRO
    SOLID FORM DESIGN
    8 months ago

Here are some basic renders of what potential the room has.

I think your centerpiece in this room is all the plants. The warm green and brown tones you chose will be a palette which itself will be the centerpiece. Many times we think actual single items in the room that stand out are the centerpiece. But truth is as the eye roams around, different colors and shades can become the "invisible centerpiece " as I like to call it.

I originally made renders with the bed where you placed it , not an angle but against that wall with the window. But again the natural flow of the room you generally want to not see the bed with the door open. Your feet should be away from the door.

Some people don't care but I always like bedrooms to be private abodes. If you have guests over you don't want them to walk by and see the bed necessarily.

It's nice to see something like a bench with cushion for reading under the books or a TV next to your desk with the plants. The light will hit the plants better too if the bed is on the opposite wall.

I placed plants in your cubbies. You said you don't need a dresser as your clothes fit in the double doors.

I placed a small TV on the opposite wall, sometimes it's cozy to watch TV in bed. Some people cover it before bed. Your choice. The windows have floor to ceiling drapes since it gets cold, as the other people here said. I placed a cheap IKEA desk with plants on a shelf above it. For when you write you can see the plants, the window view and feel like you're in nature. Colors of bedding, rugs etc can be changed. I did add the neo constructive painting in the bedding. There's tons of websites that can print your design. Cheapest might be shutterfly.

There's many options for bedding, wall murals (which I used on the bed wall. Look up mountain murals, they might be an option to painting or stenciling. There's some websites you can DIY with 4 colors of green or brown paint)

I left a small nightstand on the right side of the bed pushed against the wall. On the other side There's no clearance for a nightstand so I used an affordable sconce to add light, warmth and extra nightstand area in case you have someone over.

I think this placement of furniture would suit you best especially since you want plants and to see views outside. And don't angle beds. Some people do it but it takes up more wasted space than just pushing it against the wall. The room is too small for that. But it's a beautiful room, has lots of potential! I would use MCM teak wood or other rustic wood for the shelves, copper tubing etc. You can DIY on all these items

Everything I posted is affordable from IKEA or Amazon or can be DIY

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

I agree with the above layout and the placement of bed and desk. All I would do differently is skip the TV and instead put a bookcase there, and insted of the bench, I think a reading chair might be nice.

• Liam Coyle
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you thank you thank you! This is beyond amazing. I appreciate the humility check on my proposed layout, haha! All of these renders are incredible. They help a ton when trying to visualize the whole thing and seeing different possibilities. I'm so stoked to start!

However, it looks like I spoke a little too soon regarding being set on colors and materials, haha! I'm now realizing that I have no idea what wood the door is made of. My landlord says, "1960s veneer plywood." Which gives a little bit of info but not the big picture. While I can do my best job of trying to match online photos (I think it's similar to Alder?), I was hoping some of you might have a good guess as to what it is. Please see the below photo for reference,

In short, what wood is this?

• Andee
    8 months ago

I made a huge mistake in hurrying to buy a new (expensive) sofa for the LR the moment we moved in. 6 months later, and never sitting on it, I sold it for half-price. You might try giving yourself a bit of time in the room, and shopping more deliberately.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

So somewhere 60 years ago there was a factory in the US churning out plywood, made out of many many thin layers of many different kinds of otherwise un-sellable lumber scrap, and much of which was then cut into standard door shapes, and then a nicer looking layer of veneer was used as the final layer on both sides, which could then be stained or not and certainly varnish-y stuff would be applied to protect it and keep it from peeling away. It might be possible from studying what's still visible of the grain on your door that you can figure out what kind of tree your ultimate layer of veneer came from. I'm not sure you can go by color, as stains might have been used and it might have changed over time. It's a nice looking door for its age!

• mojavemaria
    8 months ago

If its a hollow core door it could be Lauan which was used to be very popular.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

It's almost impossible to avoid making mistakes decorating. Everybody does. Two tips I try to stick to: One is that I carry a little measuring tape with me. The other is that I always ask myself: What will I do with this if it turns out not to work or if I no longer need it? I really like things like folding tables and stools because I can always find a use for them, indoors or outdoors.

• PRO
    SOLID FORM DESIGN
    8 months ago

That door is most likely hollow core veneer wood. Not only does a very cheap Google search bring up similar post online where a carpenter said it is balsa but if you look up hollow core doors many of them look like this. You're in Wyoming, I have stayed at plenty of older homes in places like Wyoming, Colorado, even as far as Michigan and they have these old wood doors. You can always replace the door if it bothers you.

Here's a post on Red. Where a carpenter replies it's cheap balsa wood. I'm not a carpenter so I'd take his advice but it's highly lilely it is balsa with veneer on top.

• PRO
    SOLID FORM DESIGN
    8 months ago

Regardless of what the door is made of, I think your copper dream and DIY vision can still happen. Even with your previous color palette.

A poster said they would leave the TV and just leave it as a chair and book area. This is also a possibility. TV is optional. I created some renders of different variations of the opposite wall desks.

• PRO
    SOLID FORM DESIGN
    8 months ago

Here are 4 possibilities of a coffee table that are in copper tones which are easier to DIY. If you choose the one that best fits your style it might help in us knowing what you like, what your style is and navigating finding pieces for the room.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

My father in law taught "shop" in a high school and when my husband was a kid. In the 1950s his father made a lamp out of a piece of copper tubing that he twisted in a spiral. The bottom part of the spiral was a flat circle so it sat level on the table, and then the tube kept winding up with a nice spiral twist. He threaded the bare end of an electrical cord with a plug through the tube (maybe do that before you twist!) and attached a light socket on top with the "harp" to hold a lampshade. He made a drum lampshade out of hanger wire and parchment paper. When my husband got his first apartment his father gave him the copper lamp and it was still working in the 1990s when we sold our house and gave it to a friend's kid who was getting his first apartment. It looked good with every piece of decor we ever had. It was a nice bedroom lamp, a nice study lamp and a nice dining room lamp.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

pretty much like this with a different heatproof paper shade, but this must be an easy shade to make if you have access to a piece of copper sheet from a roofer.

this lamp sells for $100. I think it coast my FIL less than $5 to make his in the 1950s.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

You can probably also make a wall-attached swing arm lamp like this by bending one piece of copper tubing.

Even if you had the bookshelf against the window wall, and the chair angled on the corner in front of it, you could have a wall lamp like this running up the window wall next to the desk and behind the books that you could swing over the desk the times you want task light there and then swing over the chair for reading.

A lot of renters use "Command Hooks" instead of nails and screws to attach things to walls. I've never used them, but it seems if you follow the instructions carefully, they do work and don't damage the walls. Ask around.

• Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

Sounds like this will be your sanctuary with plants. Being single, stick with a twin bed to allow a spacious environment.

Sounds like you are handy, so consider building a wood deck platform for the mattress. See plan. Run it on an angle to accommodate the mattress, your plants and a tall two-sided bookcase at the entrance.

Don't worry about the carpet color as you can always add a 5 x 7 area rug on top.

Teh wood tone for all the furniture and platform should match the existing doors so it creates cohesion and focuses on the plants, outdoors, and art. The far corner from the entrance is important, as it will set the calm tone for the room.

On the blank wall behind the bed, find a giant canvas or photo of the outdoors you mentioned ( a copy of an Ansel Adams photo?)

Stay with "stone" colors for your palette.

I always find incredible rugs and casegoods on craigslist and FB Marketplace. Here's some pics for inspiration.

On another post I will show you some ideas on the platform. You can even use outdoor deck lighting for low light on the platform.

If you have any questions, just ask.

• Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

Here's ideas for the platform, if it's something you might consider:

• Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

Here's ideas for the platform, if it's something you might consider:

• Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

More platform pics:

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

No to the twin bed! They are uncomfortable even if you are alone. And --- you never know! ;)

• PRO
    SOLID FORM DESIGN
    8 months ago

That's a great option to use copper tubing that swivels around. That particular sconce on the render unfortunately is stationary but making it into a DIY project with the copper tubing shouldn't be too hard to DIY.

• Susan
    8 months ago

Love..love..love the diagonal layout Denise Marchand put together for you Liam!! I’ve been following along but have had issues when I’ve tried to post…hopefully it works this time! Anyway this layout seems perfect for you…yes it requires a twin bed, but if it’s just you right now, embrace it. If things change in the future, you will probably be looking for roomier quarters anyway. Can’t wait to see your vision come to fruition! Best wishes!

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

The platform bed is surely nice but for cold Wyoming winters you truly need to be well off the floor to protect yourself from cold. In days before minimal heating, beds were much higher than they are now for that reason (lowering the risk of having mide get into bed with you -- hopefully not a concern in your building). But the whole point of having a home is safety, obviously from unhealthy cold and drafts. And don't be manipulated or bullied or lured into getting a twin bed. Total waste of money. Truly uncomfortable unless you are short and slender (they are made for children). And quite obviously a social inhibitor. If you want to develop a sharing relationship, are you going to pull apart your entire room and refurnish? You need a bed off the floor and make it a queen.

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    8 months ago

Here are some artworks suggestion for your wall you might like.Those rich abstract paintings breathe so much personality into any space.

Black and white painting, Abstract painting,Modern art, large wall art · More Info

new abstract art · More Info

• Jaxson Hanney
    7 months ago

I would paint the room a nice olive green like in your color pallete. For the bed here is a great diy industrial bed frame to build (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze-WlPND3tg) Take the doors off the closet. Add plants in the cubbies and hanging plants above a red oak dresser placed in the open closet. I attached a 3D Rendering of the space