Is it possible to lead our children back to a love of books ?
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (8)
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Discussions
Books for young children?
Comments (22)Gosh, thank you all so much for the great ideas. I have a Pete the Cat book but didn't realize it was a series. I'll look for more. I'm very interested in the Harry McLary books, but interestingly my library doesn't have them! But they are on Amazon, so I'll give them a try. I was going to try to thank everyone individually, but worry I'll leave someone out, so I hope you'll know that I'll look at each of these and try them out. For anyone else reading this looking for ideas, my grandson loves a book I found called Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. And I can second the G'night, G'night construction site. How do boys seem to emerge with an affinity for construction equipment? At 2 and younger? It's crazy! Also, no one answered about Where's Waldo? I know it's older, but does anyone recommend it? If so, which one? Please keep adding books if you think of more. It's great to have them all in a place to check back with. Thanks again!...See MoreWhen did our adult children become perfect?
Comments (69)I am going through this grief right now and it is possibly the most painful heartache imaginable. My adult daughter has alienated herself from me over a difference of opinion on the subject of abortion. I was at one time very much into the prolife movement. But because I've grown and learned, I've changed positions. I support pro choice. My daughter, who has suffered multiple miscarriages, read a comment I made on a discussion about the subject and was offended. She refuses to speak to me. I am beyond heartbroken. I feel as if my daughter wants to control my thoughts. She posts things on social media that lead me to think they are deliberate attempts to twist the knife. So hurtful they are, and she never considers that worse than losing a pregnancy to miscarriage is the pain of having your own child reject you. I have also lost a pregnancy to miscarriage, so I know what that's like. I've also lost my husband, her dad, and that was at the time, the worst pain I'd ever experienced. But this! This child of mine has cost me a lot in terms of sacrifice. At a time when I could least afford it, because I was home from my job for medical reasons, my daughter needed help paying her rent. I committed to help her. She got engaged to a man and mom paid for the wedding. A few years went by and the marriage ended. She needed help again to pay her bills. By then, I was old enough to take early retirement. It was all I had to give. So I did. It cost me half of what I'd otherwise have been entitled to. And that's for the rest of my life. My daughter takes little responsibility for her own affairs. And yes, mom's fault for bailing her out over and over. Her sister got saddled with her cell phone bill. Her dog damages property because he's not properly housetrained, and that has cost her sister a lot of money. My daughter owns 3 cars, two of them are high dollar cars. Her payments for those, she doesn't skip. But it's okay to let everyone else pay for her bills. And she says I lie when I say I love her,...See MoreChildrens Books?
Comments (18)My four-year-old daughter enjoyed listening to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "Stuart Little" (her fave so far) and now I'm reading "Charlotte's Web" to her. I include reading chapter books to her along with picture books...she seems to enjoy listening to both. We have gone through several of the "Winnie the Pooh" books too, she loved those very much. I've ordered a "King Midas" book written by Lynne Reid Banks...my youngest son enjoyed this one and our copy of it has been lost somewhere. The "Indian in the Cupboard" series was fun too, I'll probablly read those to her as well. Her favorite pictures books lately are "Madeline", "Olivia" and "Trashy Town". We usually go through an assortment from the library, which is a "hit or miss" endeavor but we have found some great books this way that are not in the mainstream....See MoreWhat's your favorite Children's Book?
Comments (70)Lots of Golden Books (some from garage sales) that all had that brown horse, with the black main and tail...and little white mark on his head. Do you remember those? My husband blames all these books : ) Loved the Betsy books, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, and of course....A Wrinkle In Time. The book is amazing! And I'm still trying to figure out what Charles Wallace's model of a tesseract looks like. But the description of the shortest distance between two points being a line (with apron strings held out far apart from each other) then bringing the two ends of the strings together to step across....best explanation ever of how a worm hole works!...See More- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

BOOKS11 Great Children’s Books About Home (and 2 Honorable Mentions)
Homes come in many different shapes and sizes, and these kids’ books highlight the tallest, the smallest, the oldest and the silliest
Full Story
BOOKS8 Profound Design Books — From the Children's Section
Sometimes genius comes from empty boxes, blue horses and the powerful freedom of 'ish'
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEGet the Lead Out: Lead Safety at Home
Keep your family safe by properly testing for and dealing with lead in old painted surfaces, water and soil
Full Story
STORAGE8 Storage Solutions for Shared Children’s Bedrooms
Resourceful choices and an editing eye will give your kids the space they need to sleep, play and have fun
Full Story
EVENTSSee the Vermont House Where Rudyard Kipling Wrote ‘The Jungle Book’
The author penned many works here, including his children’s classic, which Disney has remade into a movie
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: Get a Book Club Going
Kick back with friends and a thought-provoking read for an event that’s entertaining and educational all at once
Full Story
HOME TECHTech to the Rescue: How to Get Stolen Gadgets Back
Catch any crook who dares steal devices from your home with recording and tracking technology that's easy to use
Full Story
ORGANIZINGThe 5 Decisions That Can Lead to Clutter
Find out how the little choices you make can add up to a lot of extra stuff at home — and what to do about it
Full Story
ORGANIZINGGet Your Home Organized With This Back-to-School Checklist
Follow these tips to help your family start the school year right
Full Story
ORGANIZING‘New Minimalism’ Book Offers Fresh Ideas for Decluttering
Professional declutterers share smart ideas for simplifying your stuff for intentional living
Full Story
annpanagain