SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_hexom

Should I get rid of this half wall? Awkward small space!

R 81
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Hello, Looking for some advice,

Should I remove this half wall? Please ignore the clutter! I appreciate having some division between the kitchen and living room, but this is a very small and slightly awkward layout/home/glorified apartment. The front door immediately opens into the living room and kitchen, (there really is no entryway unless I find a way to create one) the half wall separates the two. Problem is that there is no space to host others for dinner with the wall there, so I have considered pulling it out. It would look nice with an island there, but then I would have no where for the table. If it were just my husband and I maybe I could put the table in the living room, but with children I don't have the space (the stairs lead to a finished attic, nothing too exciting there). Most open layout plans use some piece of furniture to create a separation between rooms, I will not be able to do this, due to the "entryway"/door. I had considered recreating the half wall by creating two moveable benches with a back but each bench would face opposite directions. One would be an entryway bench and the other for the kitchen table. Yet this could be expensive if I have to either make it myself or have it done custom. If I were to leave it as all open it just seems like it may feel unstructured and would lack some clean lines.

The one column is load bearing, so I could either leave it and tear down the half wall, or I would have to call in a contractor. To leave it would be less expensive, but it could look funny. Any ideas or suggestions would be WELCOMED!

Comments (90)

• arcy_gw
    8 months ago

Leave the wall as is. Spend your money where it's NEEDED. If you get a trestle table and a corner bench your kitchen will seat 6 easy. I know because we did it when we were first starting out.

R 81 thanked arcy_gw
  • R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

grandma table is 48.5 in in diameter, it will fit so long as all chairs are pushed in. I am still playing and moving furniture around, I have children to care for during the day as well, so things get done very slowly around here. I do like having some space for the kids to spread out so I am not sure of table in the living room just yet but will test it would with the smaller table at least.

• Related Discussions

How do I get rid of this horrible wall texture?

Q

Comments (15)
    OK, you guys and some folks over in the Old House forum have talked me down off the ledge. We've put the sledgehammers down and are going to get lots of GW advice and attempt to make this little house period-appropriate, within the confines of our budget and my needs for comfort and beauty. The texture stays for now. I'm going to be posting over in Old House to vet our design choices and figure out how to work with a plaster house, since this is our first one. Feel free to join me over there and offer your opinions and advice. And thanks in advance. :-)
    ...See More

Get rid of half bath in exchange for pantry or bigger kitchen?

Q

Comments (33)
    Off the subject : knee pain New floors will hopefully help your knee. You may want to try a cushion work matt with floor grip until you get new floor in front of sink or stove for your knee. I have several aches these days,too. There are lots of options of cushion mats online. Make sure it's anti-slip. Example= https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N53KDXX/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527588507&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=cushion+kitchen+work+matt&dpPl=1&dpID=41DujNIgrWL&ref=plSrch In the new floorplan, hopefully they can find room to sit & prep,too. This herb supplement has been helping me lately. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00493UZAO?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title. Blue emu oil. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Emu-Original-Analgesic-Packaging/dp/B000H0JYYG If your taking statins, you may need Q10 for muscle & tendon support. Google that subject. Always ask dr 1st. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Awkward empty wall space driving me crazy

Q

Comments (13)
    metal wall sculpture: https://www.ebay.com/c/27004199784 https://www.touchofclass.com/rhythm-metal-wall-sculpture/p/Y647-001/ https://www.etsy.com/listing/688618838/sunflower-decor-sunflower-sign-sunflower?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wood+sunflower+art&ref=sc_gallery-1-7&plkey=718429a7a5f00235d685311dcc306bc2b0e428d1%3A688618838&pro=1&frs=1&col=1 modern wood wall art: https://www.etsy.com/listing/721471638/wood-sunflower-wall-art?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wood+sunflower+art&ref=sr_gallery-1-1 https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/crescent-moon-wall-shelf?inventoryCountry=US&color=020&size=ONE%20SIZE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzfTnprvx6gIVmIjICh1S4gBUEAQYAiABEgLrsfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&type=REGULAR&quantity=1 https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c2771951/stratton-home-decor-wall-decor-collection.jsp?color=Multi&prdPV=2
    ...See More

Update below with Photos! Should I get rid of these bougainvillea?

Q

Comments (38)
    Thanks everyone for all the advice! I took out both giant bushes, but @olychick I left one bougainvillea! I couldnt bear to remove it as the wild birds ove it. The landscapers I hired were terrible! They did not finish the job. All they did was remove one bush and a couple dead plants. They were terrible. Luckily the nursery that came out planted everything and removed the other bush. The mastic was just too big and didnt fit the landscape so the nursery took it back. They did an amazing job planting things. I will add some fillers in between the plants but I’m waiting for it to cool down. Now I just need to find a new mailbox!
    ...See More
  • kl23
    8 months ago

Thank you, @ci_lantro for protecting the barrister's bookcase!!! Geez!!! How I would love those!

• Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

Unfortunately you don't have room for Grandma's table in the Living Room or Kitchen. the first floor plan shows how tight it would be in the Living Room, and then the kids would have no room at all.

Consider closing the kitchen wall and place your green cabinet on that wall with a mirror and lamp to create an entrance foyer.

The second plan gives the kids a designated play space and storage on the left wall facing the stairs (simple white cubbies IKEA ). Consider placing the lawyers bookcase on the far back wall with art above creating and interesting vignette to have a focus when entering.

The sofa is over the window treatment, but you can balance that with art.

This first plan indicates Grandma's table showing how tight the plan would be and eliminating the kids' area. Even with a small scaled banquette, that area still cannot seat more than four people. My advice is to stay with the dining table in the kitchen.

This second plan uses the green cabinet as an entrance piece and if you close the kitchen opening, will create a foyer area.

VV Kids storage on left wall ^^^

R 81 thanked Denise Marchand
  • Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

If kitchen wall is closed up, create an entrance cabinet with your existing green cabinet. It's all about accessorizing.

• kl23
    8 months ago

@R 81 thank you so much for posting more pictures and dimensions. I remember timing one day how much time I had for myself between the kids needs and it was no more than ten minutes at a time. And yet those were my happiest years, and my kids were my best buddies and constant companions. I hope you are enjoying these days as much as I did.

A table is so useful, and I think it's important to try to fit one in, especially Grandma's table. I look forward to whenever you have time and energy to try one of these many new arrangements.

R 81 thanked kl23
  • housegal200
    8 months ago

@Denise Marchand: Thank you for pointing out that Grandma's table won't fit in any location. Since that's the case, then maybe float the sofa to face the windows as a room divider. Float two chairs in front of the window to face the sofa , round storage ottoman in the middle, barrister's bookcase on same wall in the middle.

Keep refinished cabinet where it is to use as a buffet when company comes and people can eat from their laps or trays in the living room. There are many articles about how to entertain in small spaces. Day to day this living space behind the sofa will get used by kids, which is a priority.

The banquette/breakfast nook suggestions for the kitchen would make a lovely new eating space for the family in the kitchen.

R 81 thanked housegal200
  • R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Yes, I have been hoping to squeeze in grandmas table but have found it difficult to fit anywhere....obviously this house was not the best purchase for us :( given the the furniture we already owned and the space I would like.....the buffet table will probably not fit on the wall for the entrance, it is almost 60 inches long and quite deep done intentionally for the kids toys. If I were to go this route I would need to pic a different piece for that space. I will play around with some of these ideas as I can over the weekend....I did try floating the sofa, but unfortunately didn't care for it, given the depth of the furniture the space left between pieces was quite narrow. I will drop picture here soon pics are on the phone and I am on the computer.

• Otter Play
    8 months ago

I think a storage banquette in the kitchen sounds like a great idea. §. As you are thinking about what furniture to keep, remember that you have a finished attic. It isn’t a good space for your children now, but it could be when they get a bit older. In the meantime, perhaps the dining table and the bit-too-large coffee table could wait there patiently for the day the attic space becomes more useful.

R 81 thanked Otter Play
  • housegal200
    8 months ago

You have too much furniture for your space. Plus some of the pieces are way too large--big blue chairs, oversized coffee table. You would have more space if you considered budgeting for a apartment-scale furnishings--comfortable but smaller proportions, up on legs, nesting coffee table. Small houses can be so family-friendly. Kids and parents within earshot, everybody sharing space. That space should be open, airy, with clear walkways, places to store things, comfortable places to sit down, eat, play, uncluttered, uncrowded. Less is more when it comes to small family homes. They can work very well with the right layouts and well proportioned furnishings for the space.

Bseid Nesting Coffee Tables With Slat Wood Top and Metal Tube Base, Set of 2 · More Info

R 81 thanked housegal200
  • Emily
    8 months ago

Here's an idea to have a wall hanging that also serves as a fold down table. There are diy instructions online if you do a search. You can have a pciture with colors that blend in what you currently have or even make it a chalkboard, which is fun for kids. Add another couple of ottomans underneath it for additional storage. The ottomans can be used around the table when you have others over for dinner. The table will be good when the kids do crafts or play games. Add a colorful rug in the area to divide the space, protect the floor and provide softness on little knees.

R 81 thanked Emily
  • R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thats a cool idea emily, i will look into that! i have a friend who may he anle to help me construct this

• R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

A couple photos of “tried” out layout, one the rug was all frumped up so the moves are not as thorough as many of your photos but to give me and you an idea. i do agree different furniture would he best for this space, housegal. and emily i like the painted walls in your recreations, pretty.

one ofyour examples had chairs squared off ratherthan angled as i have here. although doable not a very ”open” soace space, would defenitely need to move coffee table upstairs. or sell.

• R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I havent given table ans buffet tabpe a swap yet with kitchen, pretty sure ill love having the buffet table in kitchen but not love table in living room, but ill try!

• Emily
    8 months ago

I definitely think there isn’t room to place the sofa perpendicular to the entrance wall but I like the first pic with chairs angled. If you get rid of current coffee table then you could do one large storage ottoman or two small cube ottomans to replace it. Many have wooden trays that sit on top to provide table space when you need it.

• Emily
    8 months ago

Let us know how swapping the buffet and kitchen table goes.

• housegal200
    8 months ago

@R 81: Your first photo is the best--nice conversational group. Your room is longer than wide, so sofa where it is now makes sense with the two chairs facing it. The walkway is nice and open--more flow. Scoot the chairs and sofa about a foot farther into the room. It may be possible to put a very slim sofa table behind it to drop keys etc.

Down the road, get low-backed armchairs up on legs to add more open visual space. and sense of flow. Yes to parting ways with your coffee table. Get a round one or a nesting one, or a large low round storage one with a tray where people can put down plates, coffee cup, etc. . Round one makes it easily for people to move around. The room will feel bigger.

Then decide how you want to use the space behind the two chairs. Live with this new arrangement. Still want to see white curtains to visually expand the room. It makes a huge difference to see room with curtains open.

R 81 thanked housegal200
  • ellaphant
    8 months ago

The photo with the chairs facing the sofa is very inviting! I know people have been commenting on the coffee table size, but I think it looks perfect for games, puzzles, etc.

R 81 thanked ellaphant
  • blfenton
    8 months ago

Arrangement #1 for the living room is great. You might have room underneath the pass-thru wall for a narrow table for keys and maybe a little arrangement of some sort. You may also have room for a narrow coat rack.

R 81 thanked blfenton
  • R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Updated photos: were going to give this one a try for a bit and see what its like to eat in the living room, bookshelf will probably go to girls room (no worries unpainted) coffee table is upstairs for now. will probably put a small entry table in the half wall or ottoman. sealing wall would be great for the kitchen side of things but i do like open concept so still pondering removal of wall, dining table in living room will work much better with low profile seating and benches

• blfenton
    8 months ago

Not to make more work - did you try the coffee table in the new living room arrangement. As someone mentioned it would be a great spot for puzzles, colouring, play surface for the girls.

R 81 thanked blfenton
  • mytwo cents
    8 months ago

Is that a small pony? It's an amazing photograph.

And you've done an amazing job and whoever helped you push and lug all that stuff. It's quite a relief to see all that open space. The small dining table looks logical in that space. Is it 36"? And you need 46" for grandma's table? Now you can see why homeowners 200 years ago had a real chair rail where they could hang chairs up on the wall, out of the way, and only bring them down for dining. If you are not attached to your chairs, and grandma's table is a squeeze with all the chairs around them all the time, stacking chairs might be a solution, or a curved/corner bench in the back.

But looking good.

Do you have a front porch?

R 81 thanked mytwo cents
  • mytwo cents
    8 months ago

Amish home

R 81 thanked mytwo cents
  • Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

I like what you did with the arrangement! Especially putting the kids play space in the kitchen.

However, having kids and putting the main dining table so far away, will drive you crazy. Maybe when they are a little older. Even then you might not like it so far away. Also it scares me to have them in the kitchen with all the kitchen stuff available and them out of sight. Please put them back in the LR.

I hear what you are saying about the green buffet too big near the front door. Note that when the front door is open it is rarely opened all the way, meaning you will never see the full depth of the cabinet, even when there is a full swing of the door.

The sofa needs to be against the left wall (and not perpendicular) as the space is too narrow and too many doors/stairs and the space narrow at the far wall. Have the lounge chairs closer together and move the sofa closer to the lounge chairs (overlapping the window treatment).

The trick with interior design is to create vignettes and zones like little islands. For instance, if you tighten up the seating area, keep your large coffee table, add side tables and lamps, add art shelves over the sofa (right of the window) you then have a cozy arrangement.

Your little ones need a space to call their own. Embrace it. It will also reinforce "your space" and "their space". It's amazing how respectful they become. Let me put more thought into the design just for them. How old are they?

• ellaphant
    8 months ago

Wow! You've worked hard on these spaces! I also wanted to say how nice your wood floors are. I'm curious what your feedback is after living in the new arrangement for a bit. I loved the chairs facing the sofa, but you know what works best for your family. The 36" table doesn't seem to overwhelm the dining space. I'd love to know if there's any way to make your grandmother's table work there.

R 81 thanked ellaphant
  • Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

I was just thinking, what about this:

Use your existing square coffee table for the kids area with bean bag ottomans. Put the play kitchen under the stairs. have low 36" high cubbies with drawers in a corner configuration.

Use grandma's big round table as a coffee table. What does the base look like? If it's special, get new temporary legs. If it's possible, I hate to say this, but, cut it down. You will get the benefit of enjoying her table everyday.

• R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

denise that's a sweet idea on how to use grandmas table. I had actually thought of using the square coffee table as you say but I was going to put this upstairs in the finished attic for them. I do want them to have floor space in the living room to kind of spread out, which they can't do with 2 tables. They are 3.5 and 2 years old, so still little and want to be by mom but can also play with me upstairs and for shorter spurts of time (longer for the 3 year old) without me. I will try buffet in entryway as suggested, and I had heard that tightening up spaces like you are doing is important for interior design. It looks like you put something on the wall by the stairs....was this the bookcase?.....

My husband, thankfully helped me lug things around, he is a content person so he is happy with any arrangment, the sooner I make a decision and settle the happier he is, ;) lol

The pony is from target, their brand of american girl dolls, no dolls for the ponies, just he horses, the girls like to ride them and treat them like their pet.

• R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Sadly we do not have a front porch, I live on a street with quick (brick) builds made in the 60s all 1100 square feed, for the most part, some have slightly different floor plans but not significant.

• Denise Marchand
    8 months ago

Funny how you mentioned the pony--I had to take a second look! A pony in the house! Yikes. Wow little ones. I remember that. They are all over the place and they say the cutest stuff.

The piece near the stairs is a tall bookcase to show you what might fit and trying to use every inch strategically. A good guy, your hubby. Does he have a single dad? ha.

Don't forget that paint is your friend. Blocking the living area from the kids will be an interesting separation of space.

• k8cd
    8 months ago

Two ideas-

1. I like the arrangement of the couch and chairs facing each other. (But with storage ottoman/s as coffee table.) Would you consider that layout with the kitchen table by the stairs (I think it’s current location)?
    1. b. Could grandmother’s table go where the kitchen table is now if you had a banquet built in the corner? And kept the other chairs pulled over to the side a bit and out of the walkway.

Or—

1. Grandmother’s table by the front door. (Maybe a very small piece right by the front door as a key,etc. drop.) Couch along the long wall and the blue chairs on either side (they wouldn’t both fit along the wall the green buffet was on, right?). Again storage ottoman/s as coffee table. This would put the table near the kitchen and the couch/rug/open area near the toy storage under the stairs.

Other thoughts-
    I like the buffet in the kitchen.
    I would leave the opening as is (the sight line is very helpful with littles).
    Please don’t paint the barrister’s bookcase. It’s beautiful.
    I think you need storage ottomans (ottomen?) instead of a coffee table.
    Consider swapping the blue chairs for something a little smaller.
    You are amazing! Moving furniture with little ones around is no small feat.

R 81 thanked k8cd
  • R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you for all of the suggestions....Currently taking time to test out some different set ups, prior to making any permanent decisions! everyone has been very helpful!

• beadsnsew
    8 months ago

Lots of great ideas and kudo's to you for trying the different arrangements. Before I make another suggestion - question: how many bedrooms are there?

R 81 thanked beadsnsew
  • hbeing
    8 months ago

i don't know, but can you move that chair elsewhere? it is blocking the pathway from front door into your house.

R 81 thanked hbeing
  • kl23
    8 months ago

Grandma's table by front door then sofa perpendicular to long wall, facing away from table. Place your buffet on the backside of the sofa like a console facing the table. Chairs on long wall, bookcase on far back wall. Coffee table in the resulting "L". Kitchen table back in kitchen.

Iff it will fit! Let me know if it will or won't @ R 81

R 81 thanked kl23
  • Bre B
    8 months ago

I suggest the 2 chair with a small round table under the window. With the sofa across from it. Some of all toys under the stairs, or a cute built in little bed or play space for your little one. Yes, if not a supporting wall, remove the wall and keep gmas table where it belongs, in the kitchen. Keep the door entry walkway clear.

R 81 thanked Bre B
  • Bre B
    8 months ago

I would also suggest putting the bookcase on a different wall and placing something smaller scale there.

R 81 thanked Bre B
  • Bre B
    8 months ago

I see now that one post is load bearing. You could leave both sides and take out the middle of the half wall. That would balance it out more.

R 81 thanked Bre B
  • Bre B
    8 months ago

Ignore my bed toy under the your comment. I looked harder and see that it is not a large space.

R 81 thanked Bre B
  • Bre B
    8 months ago

Housegal200 had really great ideas. Could even put a chair in the right corner by the window and one at the inner the room sofa area of the room at the corner of the sofa. I really like her suggestion of the hanging wall cabinet across from the sofa. This could also double as a serving buffet when hosting company.

R 81 thanked Bre B
  • Bre B
    8 months ago

If you put gmas table where the toys are, you could close the wall then add wall to ceiling cabinets /pantry on the now enclosed halfwall and maybe have room in the kitchen, under the window for a tiny coffee area table and 2 chairs.

R 81 thanked Bre B
  • Bre B
    8 months ago

You also, with the right arrangement, have tons of space where the toys are, for a LOT of storage, with floor to ceiling cabinets, for toys and much more.

R 81 thanked Bre B
  • R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

this is a 3 bedroom house/ranch, approx 1100 sq feet, although I have been in many homes that are this size yet feel much larger, I just think the layout is poor. and the staircase in the middle of the living room for finished attic does not help much. Currently we are just experimenting with ideas presented here.

• rebunky
    8 months ago

Oh my goodness, your daughter pulling that horse is the cutest thing ever!

What about doing something like this entry bench and storage, but configured to your family’s personal storage needs? It would recess back into the kitchen where the opening in the wall is.

I was thinking a small free standing island could then go in the kitchen.

I don’t think you would have enough space for something like this ikea island with two seats, but it sure would be cute for having the kids sit and watch you cook or eat their breakfast. It might fit though, if you skipped the recessed entry nook idea.

I like the idea of G’ma’s 4’ table in the far corner with banquette benches in an L shape in the corner. It would be a tight fit, but I would love to see you use a treasured heirloom 🥰

The pretty green storage cabinet could maybe fit against the wall in between the dining and living rooms to define a little play area for the kids in front of it. It could also serve as a buffet set up when you have a few guests over.

I was not sure how attached you were to the two blue living room chairs or the couch. But I wondered if a you could find a small apartment size sectional that would fit in the living room corner under the two windows with a smaller coffee table or ottoman. I was thinking it would look more open, similar to you lastest arrangement, which I like how it feels nice and open. I am just not loving that the couch and chairs overlap. If you had a little more width to the room it might have looked ok, but I don’t care for how the couch sticks out further then the chairs.

This is sort of what I was thinking. It is such a cute house and I am sure you will make some cherished family memories there!

!

R 81 thanked rebunky
  • R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you, these are some fun ideas :) Yes, I had thought a small sectional could work well also with that space by the windows, I'll have to look around and see if there are any that I like. Any ideas what stores are best to shop at for this? Many of the stores around me seem to have big chunky items outside of ikea. Im in chicago suburbs

• R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

This arrangment with the baskets is very sweet, although I am planning on putting a similar arrangment, but half the size, in the laundry/utility space, it's not a "pretty" space because of some of the piping but I had wanted a coat and space for the girls, better than what I currently have, and it should fit there. All that to say, very sweet, and I don't NEED that space for coats and shoes.

I just wish I had an interior design eye and could make some choices and throw it all together and be settled!

• Emily R.
    8 months ago

We lived in an 1040 square foot 3/2 for 12 years, so I feel your pain!! We had very similar layout to yours, including the long (relatively! haha) living room and door opening right into the kitchen wall. Our kitchen was a much smaller and narrower U shape, so no room for a table. I called it a glorified double-wide. ;) Most of the houses in our neighborhood were built on this plan, so it was always interesting to see how different people handled the puzzle. I tried all of the variations you've put up -- I was really excited about floating my sofa in the living room perpendicular to the front door and using it to create a 'hallway' but.... nope. ;) I ended up floating it in the middle of the room, facing the front window, and getting two smaller club chairs that faced the couch -- so a flipped version of your picture. We had a narrow bench with shoe basket cubbies on the wall where your pass-through is -- nothing wider, since it would visually block the front door.

Some of my friends put their dining tables in the front of the living room, under the window. Two of them opened up the wall next to the door (where you have the cutout), and put in an island. This means that you walk right into the kitchen when you come in the front door, which isn't ideal, but.... you do what you have to do with the space you have!! And they both have really nice kitchens compared to what most of the rest of us had. You have a bit more space, so if you did something similar, you could put in a small island with two corner seats (one on the living room side and one on the kitchen window side), keeping that support column as part of it; and put your dining table by the front window. If you open up that wall, you'll have a connection between the kitchen and dining.

I will say... we've since moved into a much bigger and nicer house, but I wouldn't trade all those years in our tiny house for anything. Our kids grew up in a friendly, supportive, play-forward community where everyone knew everyone since we all were outside all the time (because... tiny houses!! hahaha). I love my new house, but I miss my old neighborhood.

R 81 thanked Emily R.
  • beadsnsew
    8 months ago

Ok - 3 bedrooms, my thought was, can your daughters share a room and put grandmas table in one - for puzzles, games, crafting - study/homework (when they are at that point)? When they no longer need the play space in family area, then move the table to that space and they each have their own room.

R 81 thanked beadsnsew
  • R 81
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you, that is a good thought, and a posibility, I have thought of putting them both in one room, just trying to get through some of these wake ups before doing it, I think they woudl actually like to share. Emily, thank you for the ideas and the affirmation! I'll try the table in the front window. we have been thinking of throwing a blanket on the half wall just to see what closing that wall off might feel like. I love having the kitchen space, but maybe don't love having the table in the living room. so many ways to play with the space it seems. all of them have some kind of an upside and some down side. Emily I just wish it was a young neighborhood, not too many people outside unfortunately, I have great older neighbors not so many kids : ( Your former neighborhood sounds lovely and cozy!

• kl23
    8 months ago

Once again, I vote for Grandma's dining table by the front door near the kitchen for ease of moving food, and near the windows for light when the table is used for projects and fun.

R 81 thanked kl23
  • thinkdesignlive
    8 months ago

If you live in the Chicago suburbs you have to check out Room & Board. They would have a great sofa option for you!

R 81 thanked thinkdesignlive