SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara1384

Compromise for Galley Kitchen Remodel

Sara K
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Hoping for some much needed design insight for my foyer and a remodel I'm working on for my outdated galley kitchen.
I recently purchased this home knowing there was some TLC required and this project in particular is critical for me to address sooner than later. I've been working with a really good contractor the past couple of weeks on how to best utilize expanding my galley kitchen kitchen and giving the kitchen a total transformation.
As a general overview I have a very narrow front entryway with an existing hallway closet on the left. However we've determined in order to add additional counterspace to the kitchen, the best option here will be to remove the front hallway closet which will also provide better sight lines into the kitchen. I also currently have a small breakfast nook at the front of the house. However by losing the hallway closet, do I jeprodize converting the breakfast area into more of a mudroom type space with a bench and/or closet for storing coats, etc.? We initially discussed keeping the closet and moving the fridge with built ins cabinets (as shown in the design renderings attached) to the front of the kitchen but we realized the fridge might jet out too far in front the existing front window, so the fridge will likely stay as is.
Thinking long term what would be better for resale? Living in Canada with very harsh winters, I can't imagine not having somewhere at the front of the house to take off heavy jackets and snowy boots.
I've attached a few photos for reference and would greatly appreciate any design recommendations. Need to make a decision on this quickly!

1. Keep breakfast nook with no designated area for coats, etc.
2. Convert front breakfast area to a mudroom

Comments (3)