SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_873693566

Need feedback on kitchen layout & renovation!

Esperanza Marischino
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Hello Houzzers,

DH and I have decided to make our current house our forever home, which entails a whole-house reno: kitchen renovation, turning half of the garage into the dining room, making the current dining room a small sitting room, and adding on for a garage and mudroom.

For the purposes of this post, I am seeking advice on the kitchen layout. The attached drawing shows my edits to a plan put together by a professional; I'd like to use feedback from this post to give her better input.

Some notes about my goals for the kitchen/our home and family:

* I'd like to separate the "snack" zone from the work zone. (There is a 3:30-5:30 rush when everybody wants to get a drink/snack/unload lunchbox/stand a talk in the same area where I make dinner-- kids are 15, 12 and 6). We are a one cook household, but everybody wants to be in the kitchen!

* While I could put the snack zone in the pantry, I know these untrainable heathens will traipse through the work zone to get there. Hence, placement at the side of the kitchen closest to the living room.

* The kitchen needs more light, and I'm willing to sacrifice cabinet space for windows. This kitchen and pantry layout has about the same amount of storage space as my current kitchen, which works fine for me- I just need a few pans and a good set of knives.

* The range will have an oven; the extra wall oven in the pantry is needed only once a month or so.

* I don't want the range on the island- for me, I'd rather have that space clear for plating and setting up buffet-style meals.

* Please let's not move walls.

* 80 % of the area that will become the dining room is on a slab- please let's not try to put new plumbing in that area. The area near the proposed pantry is over a crawlspace.

My concern with this plan:

* One pathway to the dining room/pantry cuts through the work triangle. I think I can mitigate travel through this space by placing the snack zone near the living room, but it's still a question mark for me. Also, at least half of the afternoon traffic would be coming from garage bay 2 (and even more so as the kids start to drive-- the space for extra parking is closer to garage bay 2).

* Bigger concern: the prep space is between refrigerator and sink, but not adjacent to the stove. I tend to prep - then sautee- a lot of vegetables and meat, so it's more important to have it near the sink, but I would like feedback. I just don't see a layout that manages to put the prep area in between the sink and the stove without either putting the range in the corner (ugh) or creates a longer path the the pantry (also ugh).

And while it's not necessarily germane to the kitchen layout, I have to explain that we are separating the garages due to a very tight setback. There really is no other place to put the garage bay we are turning into the dining room. Fortunately, ours is a Cape Cod house-style that lends itself to interesting add-ons and ells, so I'm just going to lean into that.

Thank you for any constructive criticism you can lend!

Hopefully this image shows things a bit more clearly!

Comments (12)