SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adam_stern64

Could spray sunscreen discolor our marble shower floor? Coincidence?

Adam Stern
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

My wife and I had our primary shower gutted due to a pan failure last August. After 11 months of looking really nice our 3" hex honed Carrara marble floor overnight (seriously) turned orange. I had sealed the floor 3x with 511 Impregnator but understand moisture/water always finds a way. We were also advised to AVOID natural stone floors but we replaced what was originally there as we didn't want to gut the rest of the bathroom which was also marble. The day before we noticed the color change, my wife sprayed on sunscreen and then showered at night not thinking anything of it really. The next morning, many tiles were orange. It could be total coincidence, as I can't imagine sunscreen overspray doing that and it looks like the tiles oxidized from moisture as it isn't on the surface. I'd think iron would show up gradually and not suddenly. We also have not changed our "product" use routine and use non acidic natural stone safe cleaners.

We had two restoration professionals come and state either live with the patina or rip out the floor and put down porcelain as the damage is done. One pro tried using sandpaper on one of the tiles to see if the staining was on the surface and no love.

I tried using multiple liquid poultices as well as a rust remover and the tiles never turned purple/violet so I'm assuming the damage is inside the tiles and perhaps the grout was the main viaduct of water getting into tiles. I understand that marble is not uniform and contains varying amounts of iron but still don't understand how this literally happened overnight and not gradually. Wondering if paper towels drenched with a strong % hydrogen peroxide would alleviate some of the staining and then drench the floor with sealer until we eventually figure out a way to install a porcelain floor tile in the future....any other thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Adam in Boston

Comments (26)