SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_548523461

Design pros please help w/ wall color + space?

Jennifer Lynn
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Hi friends-

It’s been 1.5 yrs of living in this space after buying & I’m depressed with this wall color!!

My challenge has been the lack of lighting, with the lighting that DOES come in, IN TERMS OF how it makes the space look, Which is glowing yellow .

The biggest challenge would be the sliding glass door that they put here, (old owners) that from the time the sun comes up until it goes down, my house, glows yellow, unless I keep up these blackout curtains closed. It washes out my entire living space, that the brown gray sofa turns dark gray, and everything just looks horrible in my opinion.

For reference. The only light that comes in would be south Facing.

They put this dingy Benjamin Moore color that I don’t even believe is available or they changed the name, to a taupey beige, on the walls.

Down the road we plan on getting our kitchen cabinets remodeled, and we will have the original floors redone to ‘take out’ the yellow.

But for now, I really need to live in this space as is, MINUS, The wall color. We are finally having somebody come in, during the month of August. But I have nothing to give him in terms of any possible idea. I know my style, but it’s very hard to explain.

I don’t like things if that makes any sense. Im a TRUE minimalist.. To give an idea of my bedroom, I would say a little modern Scandinavian maybe? I have a bed, a candle, lamp and a plant that’s basically my style. I like warm earthy colors, that aren’t dark, nor dingy.

I tend to like Natural earth toned furnishings with lighter walls.

I would be so grateful if somebody would help me choose a wall color that is neutral. Would go with nearly anything. Would not make my space look like a doctors office, but not make it look as though it’s a dingy 😔😔😔

I’m already upset with the color of the couch that arrived but that I could live with. When everything is lit up, you can see the sort of brown in it so I would call it a graige. But when the sun comes in and or night falls, the couch looks dark gray.

Because the whole downstairs is an open concept, I would ultimately like to find a nice white tone that is warm without yellow, and that again is not cold like a doctor’s office.

I APPRECIATE so very much any advice that you may give.

Comments (87)