SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denise_manly

Help please! is this too busy??

Denise Manly
9 months ago

I recently purchased this backsplash and upon installation, I’m not sure I like it. It seems too busy to me. I am going for a farmhouse theme in my kitchen. Please any thoughts or opinions are welcome!

Comments (75)

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

What color is the tile?

• Denise Manly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Gray

• Related Discussions

Help Pls - Entry Tile pattern too busy-tile guy on his way

Q

Comments (50)
    thanks all, ajsmama, yes I said Ididn't like the rug and I didn't, but this is the best pattern for that space andnow that I see it I see that dh and others here were correct. I know too funny, I now have what I didn't like and now like what i didn't like, strange process for me.
    ...See More

My Kitchen backsplash is too busy! Help

Q

Comments (36)
    Monochromatic means one color. I'd say this actually is monochromatic or close to it--all the same color family. The issue isn't that it is too colorful. The issue is whether it is too busy. That relates to pattern, which I think people often discuss in terms of whether something is too "busy." It is too busy for my taste. If the OPer had said in her first post, I love my new tile, I wouldn't say anything. But since she asked, I do think it is too busy. And I don't think the sunk cost is a reason not to change it. I think it can be changed with not much additional cost by simply pulling down the tile and painting a neutral color pulled from the countertop, or really even a different color which would be a way to introduce color without pattern. And a recent, favorite, not-at-all monochromatic kitchen reveal here that comes immediately to mind is Carrieb's.
    ...See More

Help! I chose Countertops that are too busy.

Q

Comments (2)
    Can you post a picture? Try a solid cream color tile for backsplash. I have river bordeaux and slate floors. It's kind of wild but I love the natural element it brings.
    ...See More

Design help! Picking tile for backsplash that won't be too busy

Q

Comments (7)
    What are all those receptacles and switches on the walls? I've never seen so many. Your backsplash will be very broken up by all of those. Depending on your local Code, but most say that a wall receptacle needs to be installed every 2'. You need to remove some of whatever those are.
    ...See More
  • K Laurence
    9 months ago

I’m always amused when someone posts a very specific question ( as here, ”is the backsplash too busy ? ) & someone on here will go off the rails commenting about something else pictured in the room. Regarding your QUESTION Denise, no I don’t think it’s too busy, just select a grout close in color..

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

Look at all the gray grouts and match it as close as you can. That will work.

For some reason, the photo makes the tile look like a warm deep beige on my monitor. Glad to hear it is gray tile.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago

"Is it too busy"...... "I'm not sure I like it"

There can be a ton of reasons someone doesn't like something at first glance, or second guesses themselves. Sometimes someone can't put their finger on the why of "it just doesn't thrill me like I thought it would."

It looks too dark to me. I don't know what material it is from the picture. It doesn't suggest a casual farm vibe.

Better might have been a bit "cooler" tone for floor and countertop harmony, or just a simple white in a larger size like 5 x 5

Hard to say without seeing/knowing counter top selection and the exact tile

• Denise Manly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Jan, This is my daughter’s kitchen. She had the cabinets painted white because they were Amish-made and in great condition. That cost her nearly 10k. The countertops are quartz and the backsplash is a porcelain tile both from a high end design business. She’s a teacher and doesn’t make scads of money to hire a designer and to even find one on a small, rural town would have been difficult. The kitchen does have touches of farmhouse near the buffet which I would be afraid to post due to further criticism. The tile is up but her husband is willing to tear it down and start over. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• deegw
    9 months ago

From the pics, as most people mentioned, the tile being busy isn't a problem.

There could be some undertone issues (different shades of gray that aren't quite matching). But it's hard to tell because the lighting in each picture looks different. It's nothing drastic and something that might be corrected with lighting and accessories.

Does your daughter dislike the tile or is it possible she's a little shocked because it's such a big change from her previous kitchen?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 months ago

From the two photos you have posted, the brown tile backsplash doesn't appear to complement the gray flooring or gray countertops.

• Denise Manly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

The tile is definitely gray.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

"I recently purchased this backsplash and upon installation, I’m not sure I like it. It seems too busy to me. I am going for a farmhouse theme in my kitchen. Please any thoughts or opinions are welcome!"

"Jan, This is my daughter’s kitchen."...............

Well. Now I need to figure out who is unhappy or thinks its busy.....? You or her?: )

You know she was helped with the design by high end source, maybe she could post the actual materials from her home, with her phone or tablet.

• marylut
    9 months ago

Hi, Denise, monitors don’t show true colors so just based on the glass backsplash tile design, I think it looks great. Your daughter may wish to consider paintable outlet covers to not spoil the backsplash look with standard white covers.

• Paul F.
    9 months ago

Turn off the undercounter light for a photo. It is ruining the look.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 months ago

So hard to say. On my monitor this tile looks almost beige - hardly any gray to it at all. I wonder if that is how others see it. If you match the grout ( or as close as possible, that will help take away some of the pattern ) . I do not feel like it is too busy.

Do you have a few pieces of the tile that you can lay on the counter and take a picture so we can better see how they relate?

I do like the pickets - maybe there is a better color option?

If you do change the backsplash and still do the pickets, I would turn the vertical.

Good luck!

• decorpatti
    9 months ago

On my monitor, the tiles look like a golden brown, not a light beige, and certainly not gray, so it is impossible to tell if the pattern looks too busy...all I can see is cool cabinets, counter and floor, with warm toned backsplash. You say they are gray, but are they a warm gray? A cool-toned light gray would be more appropriate, I think, and not look too busy if the grout matches the tiles.

I also initially thought the cabinets looked like a light blue; now, I can see that they are white, but my point is: the lighting is compromising the aesthetic of the choices. From the sheen on the tiles, they look like glass, which doesn't 'feel' farmhouse to me; they look more 'glam.' What does your daughter think?

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

Yes, photographing a couple of tiles on the countertop will help us see the actual color. Or tell us what the tile box say it is (company, color, product number).

It’s reading beige/brown but you tell us it is a gray. Just trying to help before you grout.

• thinkdesignlive
    9 months ago

Don’t grout it until you figure this out. I read warm backsplash and cool everything else like others. I think a better tile is out there for you - busyness or not.

• anna_682
    9 months ago

I agree with some of the other posters. The tile is ok, but the color scheme pairing throughout does not look quite right. I don't know if it is the undertones, the lighting, or what. It doesn't have a farmhouse vibe. I think she may have missed the mark and that is what's bothering her. I would rip it out and get something more cohesive

None of the above is meant as destructive criticism. You asked for opinions and said she is willing to rip it out and start over.

• Denise Manly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

My daughter is very upset. She likes her remodel except for the backsplash. She was trying to do something other than white subway tiles. She thought about brick but can’t find what we like. What suggestions do you have for a backsplash if we decide to tear out. I will post some pics later.

• Denise Manly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Destructive criticism was what the person gave when they trashed the floooring

• HU-655638150
    9 months ago

No, that was not destructive. Just the truth. Gray plastic for floors was a low end fad, and that fad is over and done with. More natural tones are now popular, even if the floor is plastic.

• texmax13
    9 months ago

@HU-655638150 that comment wasn’t helpful because she never asked for opinions about the floor, she asked about the backsplash tile.

• HU-918119203
    9 months ago

Yes, it is too busy. And no, it is not remotely farmhouse in style.

• HU-918119203
    9 months ago

Paul F. Off topic but gray (and especially gray floors) are indeed out. Not that what one supposed big-time designer has done is proof of anything, but the project you linked to is at least six years old: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/a-day-with-celebrity-designer-adam-hunter

• Caroline Hamilton
    9 months ago

I think it's the color of the backsplash that is throwing things off. I think a white would look much better with the counter and the floors. I personally do not care for small tile like that when the countertop is also busy.

• chloebud
    9 months ago

“What suggestions do you have for a backsplash if we decide to tear out.”

I think a solid gray that works with the counters and floors would be nice. I would stay away from much pattern since it’s already in the counters and floor (just personal preference). Another option would be a white (or off white) tile that blends with the counters and cabinets. Finding a nice color blend is key and something most people agree with. OTOH, opinions can be all over the place regarding mixing patterns. It’s what looks good to your daughter that matters.

Tell your daughter to take a deep breath and don’t worry. This is fixable.👍🏻 Lots of us have been there.

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

@chloebud She has said the current picket tiles are gray. We are asking if she can put one tile on the countertop and post a photo. Also, to tell us what the tile box says so we can see if that will work. It's photographing very beige-y/camel/brown - not gray.

• marmiegard_z7b
    9 months ago

I do think it requires a do- over, if that’s affordable and the desire is to get a more cohesive look.

While I agree that the color seems off —too sort of mocha, with the countertops & floor— I think it’s also tgd small size with potted ends that is in fact “ busy”, and the shiny glass look which is not aligned with the desired style.

I can’t see the countertop well enough for detail & more precise color. It also at looks kind there may be some beige or tan bits in with the gray. That word important because it would support why the original backsplash seemed kind a good idea plus would open the way for a slightly warmer gray or white in the backsplash, but this time with larger tiles, more soft or matte texture rather than glassy ( but not Tuscan!). But if it’s all cool gray & white, that’s different.

I also recommend patience, no beating selves up but time to bring home more samples.

• chloebud
    9 months ago

@RedRyder, right, I know she said they’re gray and seeing some on the counter will hopefully help. The tiles read very camel-ish and warm on my screen, too. It would be great if it’s just the lighting and they’re actually a good color blend.

• rebunky
    9 months ago

If this were my kitchen I would try the Bedrosian Cloe tile in the 5” square with a half offset pattern.

ETA: This one from Tilebar is called Montauk Fog

It comes in the 4” square. It might show the color a little better. It is really hard to do mock ups with tile because the lighting in the photos I use are way different then your space.

Both of these also come in a rectangle subway shape too.

• Kathy Handy Ginter
    9 months ago

Where in the heck is Beth😊 here’s my suggestion what about doing your backsplash same as your countertops?

• Denise Manly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Hello Everyone! This is Hayley, Denise’s daughter. I do not have a Houzz account which is why my mother suggested posting under her account.

We have taken some better pictures in hopes of getting more suggestions for the backsplash. The name of the tile I chose is Glazzio Decko in the color Fresh Haus. My countertop is Quartz and is called Everest. As of right now I am not loving my choice in backsplash, even though I spent more than I wanted to on it and it cannot be returned. I am looking for suggestions on something else as well as a possible paint choice for the kitchen as well. I know that this section of the kitchen is not looking very farmhouse, but the other area of the kitchen is and I’m trying to go with that vibe. Help please! This is not my forte, and has been very stressful!

As far as those commenting on my flooring, I love my flooring, it’s installed, it fit in my budget and it will not be taken out.

I truly appreciate all of the constructive criticism so far on the backsplash. I had no idea about this platform and all the great ideas! Thank you!

• thinkdesignlive
    9 months ago

Whatever new tile you do make sure you see it in person with the counters and cabinets and floor. I like the suggestion by Rebunky just make sure you order at least 4 tiles so you can see the variations.

• deegw
    9 months ago

What exactly do you not like about the backsplash? Is this the only place where you have a backsplash? Can you post a picture of a wide view of the kitchen?

Everyone else sees an undertone issue but I don't think that's what you are seeing.

If you find a handmade style tile with very slight color variations that could help visually tie all the undertones together.

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-kingston-3-x-8-ceramic-subway-tile-sost4285.html?piid=50449692

• anna_682
    9 months ago

Here is your quartz paired with a subway tile. See how the backsplash has a quiet vibe and recedes in this design? Is this the vibe you are looking for?

Here is another example with gray subway (ignore the thin tile and look at range area)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 months ago

Get to a dedicated tile store, not a big box

Call the "designer back, and blurt: " I am just not loving this at all. Bring me something else"

I would find a white ( and subway need not be 3 x6 , it comes in a million sizes with many ways to install.)

I would not repeat gray, any shade, you've enough on the floor.

The point of the splash change is to love the entirety of the kitchen. Not JUST the backsplash....which you can love all alone, install..only to find you hate it. It's the appealing whole result..... that you're after. Exactly as that picture just above would suggest : )

• Rachel
    9 months ago

Wow, the colors in this second set of photos look very different than the original. I think the color looks good with countertop. If you didn't have a backsplash, I'd like to see something lighter, like the white Chloe somebody mentioned earlier. If you don't want to invest in more tile, I agree that finding a grout very close the color of the tile will make it seem less busy if that's what's bothering you the most. The quartz has a busy pattern and that may be what is throwing you off.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    9 months ago

The stone's pink tones will never work with very many grays. Not unless the grays lean pink or purple. That tile has warm yellow undertones to the gray, which clash with the counter and floors.

Your best bet is to look for a warm white, that doesn't lean to the yellow side. It will need to lean to the rosey pink side, to not clash with the stone. Same with any paint. It will need some subtle red family DNA. Like SW Snowfall or Shoji White.

• anna_682
    9 months ago

SW snowbound is a paint with a very, very subtle pink tone.

• doods
    9 months ago

I feel you have three stars in your kitchen, the floor, the quartz, and your backsplash. Maybe this is one too much, and maybe that is what you are not liking. A simpler backsplash as others have suggested would be better.

• Lynn Lou
    9 months ago

Sorry you're not happy with your backsplash. I feel your struggle!

I found a few pics of your counter.

I think this tile might be Cloe?

Here with just basic white subway

Same kitchen

This one is beveled for a bit more interest

This tile was noted as taupe. It doesn't look bad even with the white grout, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Good luck with your decision!

• chispa
    9 months ago

I would pick a white tile that is a match to the white of the cabinets. The tile can be glossy or matte. The backsplash and cabinets will then blend together and the counter will be more of the focal point.

You won't be the first to rip out recently installed tile. I did it twice in my previous house. Yes, it sucks to "waste" money, but I think staring at something you hate every day for 10 or 20 years is much worse!

• acm
    9 months ago

With the updated pictures, the tile looks like a great match for the counter, and the way to keep it from appearing "busy" at a distance is to closely match the tile color with the grout color. The tile has a nice look to it that should support a farmhouse feel. Be sure to get gray outlet covers rather than white, too, to help those not stand out like bandaids.

Really striking difference between your last two photos -- the one with all the lights off looks like the real colors, so it's possible that one portion of the lighting (maybe under cabinet?) needs to be adjusted to match the color/wavelength of the rest, so that it's not being sent in a funny direction.

• PRO
    Quicklok Cabinets
    9 months ago

Yes, it is too busy. There are also too many color clashes. Removing the tile is a start to reducing the conflicting colors. Do that, and just caulk between the counter and wall. Live with that for a bit, and then maybe you can see the other clashes and decide to sort them out first.

• M Miller
    9 months ago

Coming to this thread a bit late, but my take is that the tile you have is (A) definitely the wrong color which should be End of Story, but also, (B) it should have been installed vertically not horizontally. It's not a question of "busy", that is not the issue. I am sorry, if it were me, I would take it out. It is just not the right choice.

Having said that, there are tens of thousands of kitchens out there where the backsplash is not right, and those people survived. You just have to know where your "line in the sand" is on whether you want to go to the trouble of replacing it or not.

If you do want to replace the backsplash, I think @rebunky's suggestion above of a 4x4 or 5x5 tile in the coloration she pictured would be perfect. It gives you the more modern farmhouse that you said you want, the warm whites work, it is not subway which you said you did not want, and square tile is no longer the out-of-fashion size it was 5 years ago. It's Big now. But note that Bedrosian Cloe tile is expensive. Idk about the Tilebar tile she also pictured, but in any case, most expensive tiles have lower-priced replicas available.

• Lynn Lou
    9 months ago

Also, Amazon carries Bedrosian Cloe and has free returns. Home Depot carries the similar tile from Tile Bar noted above. It is called Ivy Hill Amagansett (Gin White or Fog Gray could work?). Order online and return to the store. Ask me how I know this lol!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 months ago

It looks like that tile should have gone really well. But looking at the pictures you posted, the lighting is really changing everything! The undercabinet lights look warm and the overhead lights seem to be very cool ( I believe that is causing your cabinets to look light blue ).

• Sophia
    9 months ago

I do think that it is too much grey, and so I would balance it out with a creamy or more off-white subway tile, to pull from some of the lighter colors in the countertops. I found a tile from tile bar for reference, but not necessarily the best option.
    Best of luck!

• Toni Hamlett
    9 months ago

When I look at your picture with the tile on the counter the color looks very different from what was installed. If what you have on the counter was a sample I would say the sample and what was installed are different. If what is on the counter is from the same boxes as what is installed, I would question the lighting. Try different light bulbs to see if it will make a difference. Although the tile would not be my first choice, I think if lighting is the issue and can be corrected I would live with it for a while before taking it out. Also what color grout do you plan to use? Good luck

• sprtphntc7a
    9 months ago

i agree with others, the B/S does not 'go' with the counter or floors. with those counters, you need a solid, plain tile. no variation.

if u don't want subway, try a 6x6, stacked, not offset which i feel adds to the 'busy-ness' of it.

try fireclay tiles, tilebar, daltile etc.... tilebar sends out free samples.

Tilebar, my son used this in his kitchen and its really nice, easy on the eye

• RedRyder
    9 months ago

Your tile actually works with your countertop in different lights. Your lighting is truly the problem. In one photo, the gray is good; in many others, we all see brownish tones. If you can fix the lighting, and you like the gray, get a matching grout and you’re done.

OR - You won’t love it in the long run and should remove it and start looking for a white tile that mirrors the inspiration photos others have offered.

This is your choice but the lighting is truly crazy-making.