SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Help Pls - Entry Tile pattern too busy-tile guy on his way

bluestarrgallery
13 years ago

I thought this would look great but I think it's too busy. rest of home will be 18 inch tile in brick pattern. entry is hopscotch with 6 x 6 mosaic insets, now I think it is too busy but I didn't like the border style most entries have. Visible entry is 5.5 feet by 8 feet. (closet doors are removed to lay tile). I also didn't want to do diagonal since rest of house is layed square. What to do?

Any and all pattern suggestions considered. thanks so much.

Looking at the photo I may have found a solution, what about using the 18 x 18 tile and the insets, that might be less busy than using the 12 x 12? what do you think?

Comments (50)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I don't know that it is too busy, but I don't like the change from 12" to 18" upon leaving the foyer. So I agree, don't use the 12" tiles at all.

Personally I like the border look. I would need to see the hopscotch using the 18" tiles before commenting.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    13 years ago

OK, at first I agreed with you on the business. But after looking at it for a few minutes I'm not sure. I really like the insets. What do you plan to have in the entry way as far as decorations or furniture? I look at the design as one would an area rug. It separates the entry from the other room and makes a "rug" like appearance. Get your tile guys 2 cents worth too.

HTH

• Related Discussions

Tile guy did a great job EXCEPT did not clean tiles...

Q

Comments (14)
    The caulking is drying more and more gold and I am sure he did not use the same Almond he used when he was here last and just wanted me to return the battery charger he left here so he did as little as he could to cover the cement area between the carpet and tiles in the front foyer despite giving him a metal transition piece I bought that he did not want to use. I wanted the caulking to match the mushroom grout. The goldish colored caulking is still soft and not dry so I wonder how long it will dry with my floors so cold despite keeping the room at 71 degrees? I have to block that area so will take pictures when it is dry. The middle foyer's metal piece was glued on and a piece of wood was not placed on the 2" cement area in between the tile and carpet so he could nail down the transitional metal piece I bought for him. I hope it does not look too bad when it dries. I hope I can live with this until I have time and money after my busy season to replace this carpet. To me not finishing a job is liking making a beautiful dress and not cleaning lint and dirt off of it and not hemming it so the edges are frayed.
    ...See More

Tile entry way with Laminate?

Q

Comments (5)
    MCPS, that is almost exactly the same amount we are thinking about tiling so your picture helps give a good perspective. Thanks so much! KSWL, I agree that it may look too busy with more than one material. To make matters worse, this area is also the landing to our carpeted stairs so it would be THREE materials meeting up there. Hmmmmm, certainly gives me some things to ponder. If anyone else has input or pictures please don't hesitate. Thanks so much for the responses! Tammy
    ...See More

Replacing tile in tub/shower--decisions, decisions! (HELP pls!)

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Sooz -- I happen to love the kind of tile you had; I grew up in a 30s house with strongly-colored tiles in that pattern carried around the room. So while there are many, many options out there I sure wouldn't rule out a variation on the theme. One thing re your window -- have you really checked to make sure there's no rot around the window or into the walls? Because now would certainly be time to replace things. We're wrapping up our bath reno so I do have some photos of what we did plus a few inspiration photos I can share -- none are exactly what you're looking for but some have the elements you mentioned. If you're committed to just keeping the tile in the shower/tub area vs carrying it around the room, I think keeping things simple is probably best. Simple can be serene and gorgeous! Good luck with your project! 6x6 Tile on the diagonal (inspiration pic) Think this is 4x4 field, with grout blending in (inspiration pic) Contrasting grout (inspiration pic) More rustic approach to grid, with wide grout lines (insp. pic) Know it's tough to see -- white 4x4 grid, window (insp. pic) ********** My bath, Before shot (ceiling dropped to 6' over last 1/3 of tub) My almost-done bath (1905 house), done in DalTile's pale yellow 6x6 in a running bond vs grid pattern My bath, window area -- we removed double-hung and did a tiled-in aluminum below, awning window above
    ...See More

entry way tiles

Q

Comments (10)
    If you live in a metro area, go to a big tile specialty shop and spend a few hours looking at every tile and display. It’s fun! Bring a sample of your wood flooring or if you don’t have one, try to find a printed sample that matches. Go in with an open mind, any color or stone or size is an option. It’s easier to narrow it down from several options than to look for something specific and not find it. You will learn what you like and why blue and green tile won’t work (or will it?). I used to hang out at The Tile Shop regularly - they had a beautiful showroom near my house. There were other privately operated tile shops as well. Daltile may have a showroom, although the ones near me were not very large. After you have toured a nice big well-lit shop, you can look at the warehouse stores and see if you can find something you like. Warehouse stores are hard to shop at until you know what you like. As an alternative to slate, I would look at stone-look porcelain or ceramic tile. It’s pretty and you may be able to go with a lighter color. The gold-tone of your floors may be a limiting factor. You may even get an idea for the risers. I chose 18” square marble-look ceramic tile in a diamond pattern with a mosaic stone border. The foyer was a 7.5’ x 3.5’ rectangle. It was really nice and a lot of work, but worth it to make an impression.
    ...See More
  • User
    13 years ago

I think you're right, it is too busy. What if you create a rug and use the inserts with that?

Here is a link that might be useful: tile rug examples

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I agree it's too busy. How about just using two tiles per row and make it a simple rectangle?

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

graywings, thanks I am going to try the 18 pattern and will post a photo.

rnmomof2, thanks, the way the entry is set up there are two closets one on either side, then two windows and the door, so not any room for furniture, unless I set something in front of the window, so I may not have any furniture or decor there?

lukkiirish, thanks I thought I might not like the rug look, but I may try something with that pattern too, since I don't think any furniture will fit in there - the rug pattern might be the furniture.

caminnc, thanks, not sure what you mean by two tiles per row, two of the 12 x 12 next to one another?

I am going to lay out the 18 inch pattern right now and take a photo to post.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the 18 inch pattern in the entry; I really like this one much better, thanks so much for your input. What do you think?

• les917
    13 years ago

I think you are going to end up with a lot of odd size pieces of the larger tile around the outside perimeter that will end up looking busy,and perhaps give the impression that you ran out of the decorative tile inserts and so had to switch to doing just the plain tile on square.

I would try having an outside row of the larger tiles, then a border of the decorative tiles, then more of the field tiles, then a center made up of the decorative tiles in a shape that echoes the overall shape of the entry, which appears to be rectangular.

Or, work out a pattern with the 12 and 18 inch tiles on square, with an occasional decorative piece.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Echoing les, your tile layout and design should prioritize full tiles in the most important places, like at the front door. Assuming the tile will run into the closet having cut tiles at that wall is not a big deal. You don't want a lot of little pieces at the entry wall OR where it meets with the tile beyond the entry - are those tiles just placed or are they installed? If they are just placed there as a visual you may have to shuffle the whole thing to get a good layout. This is something you can work on with your installer who *hopefully* has a good eye for that and understands the design issue, not just the mechanics of laying tile. Some are really good at that, others not so much so you'll have to be the judge of his expertise.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of the busyness to your eye will be minimized with grouting - that ties the whole thing together and smooths out those visual rough edges.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

As I feared, the inset tiles need to be larger to balance the 18" tiles, in my opinion.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Les917, thanks, unfortunately the size of the entry is 5 feet 5 inches (I misspoke in the first posting) so either there is a seam at the door or against the room and I think a seam against the room would be more visible to the eye than the door. With the insets being one inch squares if I split the difference I am left with a half inch little square and if I start at the door, I am left with a two inch tile at the entry to the room but only in two places across with width of the entry. If the entry was 5 feet 6 inches the pattern would match exactly. The windows extend into the entry further than the door so there will be two little insets there and three by the door.

Hi dlm2000, the tile are just set there to take the photo, they are not laid.

Hi graywings, if I go with a larger inset tiles I'll have that busyness again which I didn't like with the 12 inch tiles and insets in the previous photo.

If I try to have a bordered rug pattern (which I really don't like at all) I have to start with a 9 inche tile to get enough room in the center to have a rug pattern. So I'd have two 9 inch tiles - one at the door and one at the entry to the room.

The problem is the depth of the entry. It is either no pattern and stick with the main layout or a best case scenario with some insets.

I wanted to have something a little jazy at the entry since we are having the same tile for the remaineder of the whole house.

The only other way I can think of is to have the 18 inche tile with the inset tiles at the corners on a diagonal, but I tried laying on a diagonal and due to the size of the room (again the small depth of the entry) that just didn't look good and there were too many small cuts of the large tiles.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

How about at the corners on a diagonal, but every other tile or something of that sort.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Was the 9" start and end using 18" or 12"? Personally, I'd at least try laying out the "rug", you may change your mind. A 9" wide row with 12" tiles centered wouldn't look bad, I'm not sure about 18" since half a tile is just about pushing it but at least you'd have same cut at both ends, which looks better than a skinny one at one end.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Are you ever going to have a rug in the entryway? I think a real rug on a ceramic "rug" may end up competing with each other.

The last layout is pretty classic hopscotch proportion wise, making the inset area larger would start to turn it into something else.

Have you tried hopscotch with a single tile instead of nine mosaics?

Have you just tried it with the same on square pattern as the rest of the house? Sometimes simple is best.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I'm afraid it's a pattern you're going to get tired of in time........but that's just MO! ;)

I would do the diagonal with a border break between the two. Your tile guy can cut pieces for the border break from tile you have or you can buy trim.

For a visual, check out the pic below. If you look to the right you'll see the diagonal meeting the square laid tile, but the break they inserted makes it flow nicely yet separates the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

I did something similar to what annz suggests. I wanted the foyer tile on the diagonal and the kitchen tile square with a border between. See the link for a picture.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi graywings, thanks, not sure what you mean about every other, do you mean diagonal on the outside edge and then square in the middle?

Hi ajsmama, thanks, the 9 inches was with the 18 inch tile, I took back the 12 inch tile as it was way too busy with smaller tile so close to 18 inch tile. I really have some type of adversion to the rug look so I am rejecting that look completely.

hi palimsest, thanks, I will probably never have a rug there because I have a screened covered pre entry and I can put a rug out there. Larger would be too much for the little insets, single inset would be way too small, only one inch. I really wanted insets some how or another; I guess I'll play with it again tonight. Tile guy decided to grout great room so this can sit a while and I can look at it. You may be right on simple is best, I had my heart set on some type of jazzyness, but perhaps I should just discount that - it costs more money for the insets and I could use the savings that's for sure.

Hi Annz, thanks, I looked at the pattern and it looks ok, but I think that space is much larger than the one I have and if I put a border it breaks it off too much IMHO. I hope i don't get tired of this pattern, I think it look modern rather than symetrical which I like much better. DH and I are going to play around with it tonight to see what we think.

Hi jillinnz, thanks I prefer to have a random inset rather than a border separating the two as it such a small space.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Personally, I would just lay the entry tile the same as the rest of the floor. I would probably want a large rug in my entry, and wouldn't want to have it compete with the tile work. Sometimes, simple is best.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I meant a single tile the same size as the 9 mosaics.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I was thinking you might do something like this. Just keep in mind the busier the pattern the sooner you will get tired of it.

{{!gwi}}
    or maybe this would work
    {{!gwi}}
    or maybe just one little tile at the top of each large tile turned on diagonal. Also keep in mind where rugs and/or furniture might go. Good luck.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi terricks, thanks, I beginning to be sorry I ever got the little insets as it is causing me such consternation trying to figure it all out.

Hi palimpset, thanks, you know they have that same tile in a six inch tile, which I had thought of that. the insets came on a sheet and I cut them up, wonder if Lowe's would take them back?

Hi cammine, thanks, you know I might try out your second photo, that is simplier. The rest of the floor is laid in the brick pattern which each row over laps the seam of the other, but I think that pattern could still have the insets at the corner.

the tile guy is going to kill me, changing my mind so many times. Actually he is really patient and doesn't seem to mind at all.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If I don't use the insets and stick with the brick pattern, the entry will have 3.61 eighteen inch tiles. Where would I make the .61 tile, along the main floor, I don't think that would look good and I don't think it would look good up against the door either.

I could put a border around the outside edge all the way around. the border would be about 4.5 inches? So there would be two insets all the way around and I could fudge the grout lines and make them larger for the five seams?

Heck, even though I didn't want a border, that might be best. I can't figure out a way to have the border set in the middle since there are only three 18 inch tiles. Geez I am getting myself all confused.

I guess I'll go lay it out; my sketches really don't show me much.

• izzie
    13 years ago

Yes too busy. I would probably get tired of it, and also not a "classic" style. My sister bought one large insert tile mosaic, she has a very large entry way and it would have looked plain without it. The rest of her tiles were 12' x 12' set in a diagonal very similar to your color.

It looked something like this but not quite as busy.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile mosaic

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I like the second pic that caminnc posted and think that design would work in your area.

I'd cut the inserts you have into 4"x4" and use those instead of the 6"x6" you're using. Then you could use a row of 2's along the border.

I still feel you need something between the break of the two designs and it should be either the inserts or cut sections of the 18" tile.
    If you want to keep it simple, then forget the inserts, center the tile in the area using the design you want, and let the tile guy cut the outer tile as a border. He could even miter the corners to make it look more framed.

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

Since you said you're reconsidering a border, here's one rough idea of how the 18" would look by cutting the accent inset tile block into a narrower strip of 2 x 6. Notice it would take 2 full tiles on the diagonal to reach across the area (making just about 5' square including the border). You could also use 12" tiles by putting 3 across the center.
    {{!gwi}}

You said, "If I don't use the insets and stick with the brick pattern, the entry will have 3.61 eighteen inch tiles. Where would I make the .61 tile, along the main floor, I don't think that would look good and I don't think it would look good up against the door either."

Any brick layout in that entry space will always have at least half tile around the edge just to get even, so not sure what you mean by that, but the front or side tiles could all be trimmed to fit the space and are less noticeable, particularly on the sides where you will likely be going into the closets.

Good luck with your project. I think the tile layout always takes as much time as the installation, but is so worth the effort to think through.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Here's another sample I came across..........

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had to paint the baseboards, finally got it laid out again, what do you think of this?

• rucnmom
    13 years ago

I think that looks great - cohesive overall design, not busy, draws one into the space, delineates the foyer. What more could one want?

• rjinga
    13 years ago

I agree with rucnmom...completely..I really like the last pictures layout and believe that is your solution and it looks GREAT!!

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

I like it also! I would be concerned about how the diagonal tiles will line up with the straight tiles adjacent. It looks like it may be impossible to have the tile immediately in front of the door be centered and also have the tiles spaced perfectly evenly along the straight tiles. Currently the layout looks to be slightly off from perpendicular to the straight ones, but of course, you were just going for the overall look. However when the tiles are actually laid, if the points of the diagonal ones do not hit along evenly spaced areas of the straight ones, you may be less than happy with that transition.

If I had to give up one of those, I think I'd give up centering the tile in front of the door and focus on the transition from the straight to the diagonal to make sure that those look good and allow the other side by the door to be slightly off since I think the transition from diagonal to straight will really be a focus as you come in. It looks like it'll be beautiful and I hope you post the finished pictures to inspire us all.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

I really like this last set up using the 4 little tiles. You may consider a strip where the diagonal meets the straight if you really want to define space but I really don't think you have to.

I am just going to throw out my transition pic in case it helps anyone else with these types of problems. I have an entry that turns the corner and hits a main hall. Problem was that if you had diagonal pattern in entry it ends up strainght in main hall. If straight in entry it ends up diagonal in main hall, bath and laundry (see drawing). Since this hall is the one that leads to family/kitchen the view was really important to me. We looked at this from many angles. DH came up with idea of strip of tile and where to place it. It is hard to tell from pic but when you look down hall from familyroom now you see straight tiles. When you make the turn left to head to front door the tile is straight until you make the slight turn toward front door. When you look down the tile is straight again. Although I was very much against it at first, I conceeded and now love it. It actually has an illusion. Most people notice the transition strip, love it, and don't even notice the tile changes pattern.

When I eventually place an entry table on the wall I will place it on the longer side of the tile and place a large vase on shorter side to balance it. I don't like things halfway on one side of a mark. I am just like that.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for your advice and help.

I did get a little off on my dry run, but you get an idea of what it would look like if it were laid.

The diagonal point of the tile will not line up with the door and the brick pattern of the tile in the great room. One of them will be off.

I'ts either center it to the front door or center it to the room adjacent.

If you look closely there is a pencil mark where the center is next to the tile in the adjacent room. You will see that it is slightly off center towards your right when you are looking at the tile.

I am not sure which center to use, the door or the adjacent room. I may have to see both laid out to see which I like better.

I am sure the tile guy by this time is thinking I am some crazy artistic type person and I am best left alone most of the time - or he is thinking I am the type of woman who changes her mind like the direction of the wind changes.

It seems each new pattern creates it's own set of circumstances.

I am wavering back on forth as to which place to center the point of the middle tile - the door or the room?

• graywings123
    13 years ago

The diagonal point of the tile will not line up with the door and the brick pattern of the tile in the great room. One of them will be off. I'ts either center it to the front door or center it to the room adjacent.

I like your last design, but I don't think I would want to live with the problem of the tiles not lining up AND the number of partial tiles around the edges.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Ok,
    I see the mark on the floor. If you draw a line to the door would the line hit the door in the middle? If so then I say the diagonal tiles should line up fine. From your pic it appears the tiles you layed out are wonky and need to be shifted to the left. I drew out tiles on a grid and they look like they would line up fine if your line at brickpattern lines up with center of door, which is what I would have thought your tile guy was aiming for.

It looks like you layed the pattern starting with the first diagonal tile matching the brickpattern grout line. There is no way to make the diagonal pattern match up with the grout line. It looks really good to me on the grid.

Hope this helps you visualize.
    {{!gwi}}

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

Honestly, I think doing any sort of change in the foyer is going to make it seem small and cut off the flow of the space.

What's wrong with doing the same large tile thru out the space in the same pattern. To me that looks much more sophisticated. What you are doing now seems like when you have too many chotckes in a room. What if you ever want to put in a rug or decorate in other ways? You won't be able to because you'll always be restricted by the tiles. Just my opinion.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shannon, you have it right, that's how it will turn out, thanks.

daisychain, I hate too many chockkes, can I stick with the same pattern and have the insets in some other way, just to jazz up the entry?

oh boy everything else is so easy and this is so hard.

actually everything else isn't so easy, painting baseboards, new painted walls getting dirty again, ugh I hate remodeling.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

this is the last one

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

SPring- I so love this final set up. The others are really fun but the change to diagonal is not my favorite. The boarder makes the space seem special but still draws the eye down the hall as you enter the house.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Shannon, yes, I think you are right, funny dh says this was what he wanted in the first place and why didn't i listen to him; he often has the best ideas for decorating. I hope the others see this too. If not I will post when it is all laid so everyone can see.

Thanks so much to everyone for putting up with my fickleness and crazyness.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I thought you didn't like the "rug" look LOL? Seems to me that's what you've got with the border going all the way around...

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Good decision. I like it!

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I think that last one is best (other than not doing a different pattern in the entry), and you could still use an area rug in that space if you want to.

• donnawb
    13 years ago

I like the last one the best. The others just seemed to break up the space in smaller spaces.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks all,

ajsmama, yes I said Ididn't like the rug and I didn't, but this is the best pattern for that space andnow that I see it I see that dh and others here were correct.

I know too funny, I now have what I didn't like and now like what i didn't like, strange process for me.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

It's not an unusual process to make a 180 degree turn and like the end result! :)

At least you were open to ideas and change. Congrats!

• les917
    13 years ago

The last choice is great, but what are you going to do in the thresholds on either side of the entry?

I would also see if you could use one 12 inch tile in the center, and fit the small decorative border tiles around it for a center detail.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Yep....I like the last choice with just a border. Very classic! :0) Timeless.....

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

I've been away on holidays. What did you decide? I really like the last pic.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Me too, what was final decision, any completed pics yet???

• senab
    5 years ago

update.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath