SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Suckering roses plus a non-rosy summer

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

The end of July is well past the bloom time of these roses in my garden, but I got a lot of pleasure out of them in May and June, particularly as I went out to photograph them for Carol's two threads on old roses. Thanks, Carol, for starting the threads! And thanks, DD, for donating your old smart phone to me and encouraging me to use it as a camera!

To be perfectly clear, I'm not talking about suckering rootstocks, but about own-root roses, and those in which the scion has taken off and is suckering. I'm particularly interested in fairly low-growing roses--low-growing, at least, in my garden--that sucker densely, making a thicket. The Gallicas are famous for this, of course, but they're not the only ones. Others in my garden are 'Blanche Moreau' (Moss), 'Pelisson' (Moss), 'Robert le Diable' (of shaky affiliation, I'd call it a Gallica hybrid), and a nameless, handsome pink Moss which looks to my eyes as though it has Hybrid Damask affinities. 'Pink Leda' is a wicked suckerer, though less dense (I think) than many of the Gallicas, beautiful rose, too; 'Centifolia' suckers in a loose thicket, taller than some; 'Belle Amour' suckers out handsomely, growing fairly tall. I don't know to what extent the lean conditions in my garden affect height and other aspects of the roses that grow there. Other roses sucker, too, of course: 'Maiden's Blush', and its Laxa rootstock, are both trying to take over my propagation beds; I keep the suckers moving out in a line along the edge of this garden, but cut and pull the ones that work out into the bed. I like suckers: they mean the rose has emancipated itself from the rootstock and is now likely to live forever.

These kinds of roses can be a beautiful bane in a small or tidy garden (also in a non-small and non-tidy garden like mine), but I wonder whether they couldn't have a useful landscape function in a wildish or landscape--not sure of the right term--garden. Let them grow; in the right season, shortly after bloom, mow them down. This, after all, is how the bearded irises and wild gallicas growing on the roadside here are dealt with, and they bloom fine every year. It is important, in my experience, not to allow the thugs to overwhelm roses of more modest growth; and it's of some importance not to let brush or weeds overtake these plantings. Still, some planning could help with these issues, for example, keeping a mowing path between varieties; planting varieties that can be distinguished when out of bloom.

About the only rose in my garden currently in flower is Rosa moschata, though its foliage is sadly eaten this summer by sawfly. The pleasures of the summer garden are green. Not the grass, which is brown; not the aromatic plants: lavender, rosemary, sage, thyme: all sturdy but suggesting drought. Not this year, and never more, box, which has all been devoured by box moth, and which I'm slowly removing. But shade from the deciduous trees, flowering ash, oak, maple; bay laurel, difficult to control but handsome; yew; the massive roses on pergolas; the deep shade of the wisteria in front of the house, and the Virginia creeper I'm training onto the new pergola on the other side. We also have our clay soil-tolerant evergreen shrubs with glossy foliage, though it took me a while, coming from acid soil Florida, to discover them: Alexandrian laurel, sarcococca, Ruscus hypoglossum, Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata'; plant aristocrats every one. Their leathery glossy green is cooling just to look at, as are the variegated herbaceous plants, mixed with the foliage of agapanthus, and all backed by Confederate jasmine, which grow under the narrow pergola that supports 'Crépuscule' that has recently finished its bloom.

Comments (14)