SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_mn_z3b

Juglans Nigra good? Pinus Mugo instead.

BillMN-z-2-3-4
9 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

I have a spot in the front yard, where I lost a pagoda dogwood and was considering what to plant there for a replacement.

A week ago, I could see something growing in the existing mulch ring that was around the Cornus.

Turns out, it resembles a black walnut.

Any reasons not to let it grow and be the replacement tree?

It will be about 20 ft. away on east side of my Korean maple tree (hoping for some summer shade for the k. maple).

I know all about juglone and nuts on the ground. And there are many J. nigra growing around town, so I know it grows here. I'm concerned there may be unforeseen problems that aren't found in documentation and not generally spread by word of mouth. TIA.

Comments (40)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 months ago

Well, they are a lovely, fast growing tree, but I’m not sure it fits in some landscapes. Make sure it is 40 feet from any house as they drop things all year round. Catkins in spring, twigs in summer and some unripe nuts, fall will have ripe nuts first followed by leaflets followed by leaf stems (tough to rake). In mast years the nuts will be cheek by jowl beneath them.

tj

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • lisaam
    9 months ago

I would not be happy if black walnut replaced dogwood. I’d miss the flowers, hate the falling nuts, and some things will not grow under balck walnut. I’d look for a native flowering ( or beautiful foliage) smaller tree.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked lisaam
  • Related Discussions

Pinus mugo Photo Gallery 2012

Q

Comments (50)
    Fantastic specimens, Frank! There are a good number of Pinus mugo cultivars that turn a brilliant gold color in the winter. If you have any, please share them here! Pinus mugo 'Carstens' has a yellow-gold color that intensifies toward the needle tips. 'Amber Gold' is a similar cultivar that has a deeper golden color which is almost orange. In my opinion, it is more outstanding than that of 'Carstens', although both are excellent winter-gold pines. -Sam
    ...See More

gambled on a Pinus mugo 'Valley Cushion'

Q

Comments (24)
    1 : not animate: a : not endowed with life or spirit b : lacking consciousness or power of motion ===>>> sorry to disagree.. but trees do not have a spirit ... nor a consciousness .. nor an independent power of motion ... they remain inanimate.. no matter how you choose which words to pick from a definition ... that is.. unless you prefer to use the druid/pagan-webster dictionary ... lol ... ===>>> there is a theory .. that a threat to a plant.. will cause it to release growth hormones .... in response to said threat .... so treating it roughly ... can actually be thought of as a plus .. [and in this case.. since OP was anticipating serious root surgery .. then i saw no reason to worry about beating it out of that pot it was in .... in my world.. it was more important.. to get the job done ASAP .... avoiding drying to the roots being most important... rather than doing 3 hours of TLC surgery.. and worrying.. etc ... the long soak prior.. and the fast repotting.. probably did more for the plant ... than 3 hours of micro surgery could have ever accomplished ...] as compared to too much TLC.. which usually ends up hurting a plant .. but the TLC is a function of your consciousness.. and your response ... while the hormones release is totally lacking in a conscious decision ... and it is not a instinctive physiological reaction ... because an inanimate object... does not have an instinct and i am not a green man .... check this link: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/g/green_man.html but we digress.. lol ... ken Here is a link that might be useful: link
    ...See More

Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen'

Q

Comments (6)
    Beautiful plant, Dave! 'Jakobsen' has slightly crested growth and that is what causes the plant to appear exceptionally dense in places. Crests are a fasciated growth (fan like) with a stem that is wider than normal. This type of growth is quite common in cacti and succulents, but not so common in woody plants. There are a few conifers with crested growth and there is one pictured in a recent thread by toucanjoe (The plant is labeled as Pinus thumbergiana 'Ogi Matsu' and the correct name is Pinus thunbergii 'Ogi-matsu', per coniferjoy.) I have this plant, but it's being shaded by my Larix kaempferi 'Diana' so I need to see if I can dig it up and move it to more sunny conditions. It's a beautiful Mugo pine. Mike
    ...See More

Pinus mugo Photo Gallery 2010

Q

Comments (41)
    Edwin, it is even more bright in reality, but my camera refuse to reproduce it. It will be very interesting for me to compare all winter-colored mugos about their color-hues, growth rate and how easy they become gold. A little bit more. Pinus mugo 'Starkl' Pinus mugo 'Gordon Bentham' Pinus mugo 'Dikobraz' Maria
    ...See More
  • TBL from CT
    9 months ago

From the Morton Arboretum "Black walnuts produce a chemical called juglone, which occurs naturally in all parts of the tree, especially in the buds, nut hulls, and roots. The leaves and stems contain smaller quantities of juglone, which is leached into the soil after they fall. The highest concentration of juglone occurs in the soil directly under the tree’s canopy, but highly sensitive plants may exhibit toxicity symptoms beyond the canopy drip line. Because decaying roots can release juglone, toxicity may occur for several years after a tree has been removed."

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked TBL from CT
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Okay, I added a diagram showing some distances. I really don't care about mature heights or anything like that. I'd have to live here to be 100 for any of that to matter.

The dogwood never got past seedling stage so don't worry about replacement factor.

Again, juglone is a non-factor.

Although I haven't ruled out the black walnut, I am open to something else, it would have to be a worthwhile tree, and blooms would be nice but not necessary. There are some existing immature trees further north, but I'm not worried about them either. I can remove one or two in the future depending on which ones I like the best.

South ^

North

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 months ago

Their beauty is really in their maturity starting around 20 years old. Before that they really look rather weedy. That spot is too close to the house and property line and guaratees removal at some point (and cursing the one who planted it). I have no alternative suggestions at this time.

tj

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 months ago

We had three next to our house when I was growing up. They were beautiful (mature and goodness knows how tall-child's memory would put them at at least 50'. My dad was not a fan because as tsugajunkie said, they drop stuff all year round. They were close to the house. 15-20' or so. They gave great shade. We had a small-ish sour cherry tree close by and that was the source for the best pies. Dad did like the ripe walnuts.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Well, there went my post.... poof. :-/

I'll probably dig this one and gift it to my son for his acreage in the country.

Might be a good spot for weeping white spruce or any kind of spruce really.

No emergency so I'll look around and see what I can find.

Thanks for all the brainstorming everyone!

Appreciate all of you. ;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

This is about the 5th or 6th I've pulled from my mulch beds this season and a few more growing out of the ground.

Every one of them had half a walnut shell attached to the roots. The squirrels must plant them all over here even though I never see any squirrels doing that.

No, I've tinkered with trying to extract black walnuts in the past and agree, it's not worth the time and trouble. I've heard about them turning your fingers black. ;-)

I'd be better to find something narrow and medium/tall and TBH, but I probably don't need shade for the Acer psuedoseiboldianum, by the time a newly planted tree would supply shade, the maple would be well established and able to stand full sun (or dead lol).

I've considered getting something that's more of a shrub or small tree. No fruit. No Thuja. No Juniper. No one-week flowers. Mostly just hoping to find 'Something Different', ornamental is fine.

Of course, in my zone, first choice would be something zoned z3 even though z4a would most likely work. I'm real close to the border between z3b and z4a.

I am heading to a larger town Monday, so I'll have a chance to check some of the nurseries and garden centers to see what they have left.

Thanks again.

;-)

• bengz6westmd
    9 months ago

I don't know. B walnuts are EVERYWHERE around my area, including coming up on my lot. They can make a fine tree, but regardless there are many other "fine" trees and I consider B walnuts a scourge on my lot (along w/black cherry).

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked bengz6westmd
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

So, I can conclude then, that only the squirrels like these trees. :-)

There are some real beauties around town. To me they have sort of a 'Tropical' look when the branches get longer and sway in the wind.

Oh well, I just gave this one away although I won't dig it out until Fall dormancy.

And we'll see what tomorrow brings.

If all else fails, I can always run out to my sons and get a woods dug white spruce. ;-)

They are bullet proof at this location.

• restorephoto
    9 months ago

I had a walnut sprout about 30-35' SE of the house the year after we moved in. (Indianapolis) That was 1976. That tree must be about 60' tall now. I wouldn't want one any closer than that to the house! I don't mind the nuts. Summertime storms with high winds (50-60 MPH) when the nuts are at least half their full size can be a major problem with numerous medium and smaller broken branches. However, the tree doesn't seem to mind and is still a fantastic looking specimen after a few episodes with storm damage. The other negative is the leaflet stems that can quickly dull mower blades. Consequently, I rake those (and pick up walnuts) before mowing. Also, keep the walnut trees away from concrete driveways!!! The staining is a problem!

For a smaller replacement tree, check out acer triflorum. I now have three. One is about 18 to 20' tall with single trunk. Great foliage and fall color, usually a rich pumpkin color. The two smaller ones may be about 10' tall now. One of those has had rich red fall color a couple of times; otherwise, both smaller ones have a deep pumpkin color. The are also single-trunk specimens. All three hold leaves through winter, but the older one has been less likely to do that in recent years. They seem to be tolerant of short periods (up to 3 hours) of flooding as well as periods of drought. Great trees!

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked restorephoto
  • mntreegrower
    9 months ago

Have you thought about trying a columnar oak or maple in that location? Wouldn't get that wide so as to hang over the neighbor's property that far and certainly wouldn't reach your house (if the specs of mature size on these trees are correct.) I know most of the cultivars are listed as zone 4 hardiness but I'm not so sure. Black walnuts and bitternut hickory are listed as hardy to only zone 4 by most websites yet I see them growing near Aitkin.

Autumn Spire maple is zone 3. Would you take a chance on an Apollo maple or Crimson Spire oak? I'm guessing there are some others, too.

I really like black walnut, but I agree with others. Not a good spot for how close to the line and house.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked mntreegrower
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

7-31-2023:

After a lot of back and forth on this, and I did consider acer triflorum, but another deciduous tree really didn't ring my bell.

And I was thinking that some sort of conifer would fit the area best.

Just not a huge, tall one.

Another factor is, I do have some full-sized trees planted closer to the street. Far enough from the street, I hope, so the city workers don't have a happy day, chain saw competition on them.

And If I plant too large a tree, I wouldn't mind taking out the red maple but that one is further away from the planting spot and wouldn't be affected by the new tree any time soon.

The one most likely to be too close is the honey locust and I would hate to remove that one unnecessarily.

So, with all this in mind, I was in St. Cloud today and after conducting business, I checked out the local Menards Garden center (there's a Woods nursery only a mile away that I looked into later).

Menards was, as many of the BBS were doing, cleaning/straightening out their gardening departments for the season (As I found out the other day when I was at the Brainerd Menards, and they had no trees in stock at all to look at).

But in St. Cloud, they did have a few Junipers, a Hemlock, a couple of Mugo pines and even a cloud pruned Thuja or two, all in that 2–3-gallon range.

What looked the best to me and what I've previously thought about getting is the Mugo pine.

2.65-gallon pot, roots not Pot bound and generally nice and healthy in appearance (even a little Lamaas growth coming on some of the branch tips) and it was in my price range. ;-)

They're predicting rain the next few days, so I think I'll head outside after the sun diminishes and put this guy in the ground. I shouldn't have to disturb the roots and if the clouds don't hold up for a few days, I'll put a little sunshade over it until the roots settle down.

Here's the planting spot (lower center).

I did get over to Woods nursery after and it was very nice. They didn't have a lot of smaller conifers but did have regular Colorado spruce, blue spruce, white pine, Thuja, Junipers etc. some quite large and a lot more $$.

I did pick up a few things there just because.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

bill

:-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Got it in the ground!

Needed some root surgery, more than I cared to do this time of year.

eta: There was no Lamaas growth. Winter buds well developed.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

8-1-2023:

The sun came out today, no rain last night. Highs low 90's, dry and windy. We had 8/10ths of an inch a week ago but it's getting pretty dry again.

Sunshade:

• bengz6westmd
    9 months ago

Prb'ly right to shade it as you don't know if it was in full sun where you bought it.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked bengz6westmd
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Yup, and with the number of roots I cut, anything I can do to reduce shock and stress, should help.

Once I removed it from the pot, I then realized it had circling roots and one big knot that must've been present when in a former smaller pot, then shoved into this 2.65g. pot. It wasn't pretty but we'll have to wait 'n see. It was a 'Menards' brand and didn't say who their supplier is on the tag.

Another $25 experiment on my part. ha-ha,

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 months ago

If you maintain plants in pots, don't do it (plant a black walnut). squirrels will come from a distance to the tree and squirrels see pots only as a source of food or a easy burial ground for the nuts. They're messy trees. My neighbor has one on the back corner of our lot and I sure wish he'd take it down.

For something "different", you might consider a Alaskan yellow cedar. It used to be Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, but it's been reclassified. It comes in several forms, a couple of which are very strict weepers ('Green Arrow' and 'Strict Weeping').

Edited to say oops! I just noticed your USDA zone(s) - won't work as it's a z5 plant.

Al

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks Al!

Some say zone 4 but the area I have to plant is off the NE corner of the house. So, when the howling winter winds come from the NW, the house channels the wind to that side. So, anything around that planting zone will take the brunt of it when high winds go to the South around the house corner. So, that may be a 'microclimate' a bit harsher than other spots around the yard.

But if the Mugo pine fails, you never know what I might find to plant there.

Thanks again! :-)

9 months ago

Check out the fernspray Chamaecyparis. They have a unique growth habit.

Al

• maackia
    9 months ago

If P. mugo fails, I think I'd move. C. obtusa (i.e. fernspray) is a non-starter. It is imply too cold for this one. I am at least a half zone warmer than Bill, and probably a full zone. C. obtusa is beautiful, but it is not for the upper midwest. Bill, have you experienced -40F or colder? Sorry, I digress.

Do you have any gold conifers in the garden? If not, maybe try one of the numerous C. pisifera gold cultivars. Most are of the haystack variety, but they are hardy and stay relatively small. Menards usually has a handful of them. In my opinion, they are not as nice as obtusa, but northerners can't be choosers.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked maackia
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Hi maackia.

I'd Move, ha-ha that's a good one. :-)

But when I said if P. Mugo fails, I was referring to the root surgery I had to do before planting. Time will tell but I think I see a few browning needles already.

9 months ago

C obtusa 'Fernspray' and 'Filicoides' are both listed as hardy to z4.

Al

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

My back yard is getting to be quite sheltered. If I tried anything like that, it would be somewhere back there.

Of course, the first few years of establishment and what kind of winters you have during that time is paramount to whether you get things off to a good start, where it might stand a chance.

I'm from the school that if it's not a solid zone 3, you always have that chance that in 4-5 years, you'll get a zone 2.5 winter that will finish off the planting.

But you never know, the longer it goes, the more secluded my back yard becomes, and it just might happen I'll be somewhere and see a smaller version of a plant that's close enough to my zone that I just have to try it. ;-)

9 months ago

Welcome to zonal envy.

Al

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I'm over the idea of someday having a subtropical garden. If I had ended up in a warmer part of the country during my search for fortune, maybe, but for me, it's getting too late to start over again from scratch.

Am I satisfied? Yes, I think I am. To me it's not so much what kind of plant, although I like woody plants the best, it's more the learning the things you need to, about each plant, so you have success growing them in your area.

And over time I've learned, and I think there was a discussion about this subject earlier, it's better to have plants that thrive, rather than plants that just survive. :-)

So, I'm good!

Even in this dry year, I've heard comment from people saying how much my trees have grown since spring.

For the fun of it, I've compiled a list of the plants that I planted since I moved here 10 or so years ago (the ones that thrived).

A few are multiple specimens of 7 to 12 each (mostly the white spruce and red pines).

I think I got them all. ;-)

• maackia
    9 months ago

How's the Canadian Yew doing?

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked maackia
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Pretty good maackia.

You just have to water them twice a week in my silty sand, with the 90's we've been having and no rain.

Slow growers, maybe 2-3" a year. They like the less than 4 hrs. sun a day. They'd probably do fine in shade/dappled shade all day.

They got a few brown needles when I was gone for 5 days a while back in June.

I let the Ferns go completely, they don't last barely a day in the conditions we've had, most of this summer.

8-3-23:

• maackia
    9 months ago

".. it's better to have plants that thrive, rather than plants that just survive."

Do you see them thriving someday? They definitely like it shady and cool. As your garden evolves, I would think this bodes well for the Yew. Isn't this why we garden?

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

When I think of plants thriving, I think more in terms or climactic conditions. Like is the season long enough or warm/cool enough for the plants liking. Being able to endure a winter without having to recover from damage or perform poorly during the following growing season. Things like that.

My soil here is a limiting factor. It's known as 'The Sands around Wadena' to the real estate people and most Farmers have installed irrigation equipment for that reason.

And this is why I focus on woody plants, trees in particular. Once established, they'll take those extended periods without rain with temps in the 90's, that are quite common here.

I irrigate my yard and I do that because I don't want things to simply survive.

I go by the old adage, 'When is the best time to water? When it needs it!' ha-ha!

The Taxus c, planted a year ago last spring, from rooted cuttings, is growing in a course gravelly, droughty spot, yet being it has a woody root system, it did remarkably well (considering I supplied all its other needs) and didn't die during the 90's with no water for the 5 days when I was gone (Welcome to my yard). ;-)

It may never be able to endure drought conditions but then we do have seasons that rain is not an issue, and the subsoil retains enough moisture for maintenance.

So, moral to the story. In a few years, when everything I planted is established and rainfall returns to more acceptable conditions, I can sit back and enjoy my yard with minimal gardening work and not have to listen to the weather people saying rain is coming next week and it never comes. :^)

9 months ago

I had a back, side, and front garden plus about 300 sq ft of raised beds. The front garden had a LOT of herbaceous plants in it that needed dividing, dead-heading, pruning, cutting back in fall ..... . My bonsai trees were being neglected due to the work required by the other gardens/plantings, so I seeded over the back and side garden, removed most of the raised beds, and eliminated most of the herbaceous plantings in the front garden in favor of more bones (trees/shrubs). That freed up more time for potted trees until I decided to take up fishing again. Now, with fishing 3-4 days per week, I still don't have enough time for my trees, so I've been cutting back on the number of bonsai I care for. By spring, I want to have trees in pots cut back to less than 100 for as long as I'm able to remain healthy and have the ambition.

Al

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I just pulled the Juglans nigra from that planting spot.

It dawned on me that Mugos don't like juglone, and I didn't want to take any chances.

I'll report back once I see how the Mugo does, adapting to its place in a week or two.

I've kept it quite moist this first several days.

Makes me wonder why they call it a 'Bog Pine' (common name).

Does it like wet conditions?

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

8-9-2023: update.

I'm happy to report that the Mugo pine is settling in well, with what appears to be minimal damage up top.

There are only a couple/three spots that had needles that browned. It could be that side had more daily AM sun (before I added cardboard) or it could be the fact that I overdid the (Hibachi) root cutting a little. ;-)

Either way, the browning isn't progressing, it's not every needle on the branch, and some that have browned are only browned from the tip of the needle into about midway part of the needle.

So, I'm optimistic about this one's survival and it being able to outgrow anything incurred trying to correct results of the bad practices that are the norm in the gardening industry today.

Pinus Mugo:

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

8-10-2023:

I'm feeling lucky. ;-)

I took the sunshade off the P. Mugo last night.

Cloudy today, light rain as we speak and cloudy with TS forecast the next several days.

If anything will grow well in this area on this soil, it's Pinus. Will still protect from wabbits. ;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

9-14-2023:

End of season update:

The needles that browned haven't spread, maybe got darker.

There's still a knot of roots on one side I didn't dare to cut at the time purchased.

I'm thinking of waiting until spring then cut some of this off?

Maybe someone knows whether this should be done or not?

I did snip the two small roots you can see wrapping around the base, just now.

Otherwise, nice color:

All the branch tips have set winter buds:

Even on the branches with brown needles:

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

9-21-2023:

Got around to dealing with the knotty root flare on the Mugo pine.

It was more of a root burl, rather than a root flare.

I did cut a few thick roots that were wrapped around and partially imbedded into the 'burl'.

And there were a few thicker roots, that were growing slightly away from the burl but were circling also, removed. Then there was many, thread like roots wrapped tightly around the lower part of the burl that I removed.

Not much to say. We'll have to wait and see if the cutting I did today make more browning on the needles. The plant appeared stable in the ground. I think the good roots all grow out from the bottom of the mass.

Replaced the soil, mulched and soaked it down good.

Pinus Mugo root flare (burl) area:

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 months ago

I refer to that as a graft bulge. Seen occationally on tours and in arboretums. My Pinus pumila ’Jeddeloh’ has one about 8” in diameter. Not sure exactly what causes it.

tj

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I never thought that it might be a graft there. Interesting.

I think it's growing really well for being such a mess to start with.

I've done all I can do with it for now.

We'll see what it does next spring.

Thanks again! ;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    6 months ago

JFWIW:

I called NFF nursery and they pretty much confirmed that all of their low growing shrub Mugo Pines are not grafted.

But as long as it looks good and grows next season, I'll not be concerned.