SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justin_egert62

Small dining room problems

Justin Egert
9 months ago

I'm stumped finding the right dining table solution. Here are the measurements:

Room width 86" (82" to the edge of the bar)

Room length 154" (121" to the edge of the door)

Current table 41" x 41"

Here is my preferred style (but I'm open to ideas):

• Uncluttered/clean, open, Scandinavian (sort of), green, black, white, gold, fun/bizarre art, plants (plants is a style right?).
  • I use my dining table lots for eating and art.
  • I like when guests face me/linger while I cook.
  • I'd like to be able to seat 6 but if it makes the space cluttered I'd prefer 4 (it's usually just me). Guests can eat in my living room couch if more than 4.
  • I'd optionally like narrow bar stools but space might be too cluttered (only 4" bar overhang)

Here are my options but I haven't quite had the lightbulb moment on any of these:

1. Get a 31" x 60" table (image is of the 35 x 70" table discussed in point 3 below) with a bench along the wall (padded with pillows to lean on the wall) and chairs on both ends. People would slide into the bench, how long should it be relative to the table? No chairs on the other long side to open up space to the pantry.
  2. Same table as above but pull table to the middle with 4 chairs (2 on each side). Will be tight but should be enough space for guests to not hit a wall with the chair. I don't like sitting at a bench with no back.
  3. Get a bigger 35" x 70" table with the same idea as option A or B but now it seats 6. Room might be crammed?
  4. I don't think circular or oval works because they'd have to be extremely narrow to not feel crammed and I don't know if it exists, but perhaps I'm not thinking of it correctly.

I can optionally swap the black hutch (with the big ZZ plant) with a 9" narrower one if I get the bigger table, it is longer and pantry door would open most but not all the way. I'd also like to do a large circular mirror above the hutch and fun art along the wall above the bench. Bench would likely be green with gold metal legs. Chairs would be green or black. I definitely want to get new dining room lights. I'd love if this room (floors and kitchen) was brighter overall but I can't really renovate the space right now so need to work with what I have.

Thanks for saving me!

(Wouldn't have chairs on one side)

Comments (11)