SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Best Way to Build Out Sidewalls of Garden Path?

I had a small number of Adobe bricks lying around that I did not want to store, so a contractor and I played around with laying them out in a symmetric pattern and then filling in between with 1/4 inch crushed gravel. They look nice enough to think through how to build them out to last a decade.

The main problem here is the 1/4 inch gravel is just going to slide under the sheds over time. The side of the path needs a wall. I could go for a cheap plastic bender board, staked to maintain its shape:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-4-in-x-12-ft-Brown-Plastic-Coated-Bender-Board-Edging-230230/202074240

But I am wondering if it is worth investing time to custom-cut Adobe brick at a right angle to the edge, to fill out the pattern and block the 1/4 inch gravel from leaving the path.

Having built a proper base for pavers and very heavy concrete objects in the past, I know for sure that this path is NOT that at all. There is effectively no base and the bricks are likely to shift over time. In this very informal and rustic setting, slightly crooked bricks might be seen as an intentional design. But never having laid bricks like this with loose gravel between them, I do not have the experience to know if this is simply a giant fail and will become unusable quickly.

How would you go about finishing this path?

Comments (21)