SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srj19

What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?

srj19
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have a community garden I'm working on with over a 1500 sq ft footprint. This year we'd like to possibly enrich the soil with some amendments prior to planting but unsure of the pluses and minuses of various fertilizing agents and also how to apply.

As for application, I'm not sure if it's best to till the entire garden via tractor, then plot out rows, then apply something only to that row, in order to save money or if the amendment should be applied to the entire plot, turned over via machinery and then simply planting without having to make sure the plants end up right where the fertilizer was put. Last year we did none of this but added compost to each planting hole and it seemed to work alright.

Then there's the topic of what to use. We've heard alpaca manure can be used immediately with no composting or waiting period. We also possibly have a supplier of horse manure. Or we could apply something like the COF (Complete Organic Fertilizer) recommended by Steve Solomon which is cottonseed meal, agricultural lime, dolomite lime, bone meal, rock phosphate or high phosphate guano,and kelp meal.

I haven't been able to run price numbers, investigate effectiveness or learn much about all my different options. I'd love to hear from those who've worked a larger plot for some pointers.

Thanks for any and all thoughts

Comments (21)